Subject: Inadequate Grass / Dead Oxen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly is meant by 'one round of play without an Oxen and everyone dies"?

Do you need to play an Oxen card? Or does a player just have to have one in their supplies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut this from my 2 question thread, hope this helps. this is how we play it, rules are unclear. this assumes 4 players, player A, B, C and D, and player C drew calamity card from trail card instructions:

"CPFace wrote:
I play a "round" as every player gets one chance to respond.

In your example, Player C has played a Trail card which instructed them to draw a Calamity and now has one round to respond. Player C can't play any Supply cards because they already used their turn to play a Trail card, so play passes to D. In turn, D, A, B, and C get a chance to play Supply cards to try to save C. If, at the end of C's turn the Calamity is still in play, then C suffers the consequences."

for the dead ox card issue, someone in the round mentioned above needs to play an ox card from their supply to avoid everyone dying before it gets around and through the player's turn who drew that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
Yes, someone has to actually play an oxen card -- discarding it and returning it to the shop -- in order to save the party before time is up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That part I figured out. The part I couldn't get is that if both cards are out, two oxen die. So, does that mean you need to play two oxen cards in one round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CP Face
msg tools
Kuildeous wrote:
That part I figured out. The part I couldn't get is that if both cards are out, two oxen die. So, does that mean you need to play two oxen cards in one round?

I don't think so. The Inadequate Grass card only refers to one round of play without "an oxen card", not "two oxen cards". Also, every other oxen-related calamity refers to "two oxen" dying, but only requiring one oxen card. And the oxen cards have a picture of two oxen.

The game makes itself unnecessarily murky by referring to the quantity that a card represents (100 Bullets, 200 Lbs Food) when the actual unit you play with is one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric kitt
msg tools
In the DOS version I think oxen were sold by the yoke (two per yoke) If two oxen die then you were out one yoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state under the Rounds & Calamities section that Inadequate Grass can only be removed with a town card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.