Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
or are they just tacked on? We mainly play with two, would you reccomend this game for us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
or are they just tacked on? We mainly play with two, would you reccomend this game for us?

I wouldn't buy it purely as a two player game. It's just Medici with 18 cards removed, and seven slots in your ship. No payouts for second place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, most valuable ship is lowered to 20 points (from 30 at all other player counts).

I think it looks fairly promising... going to try playing it with my old Amigo version, but will most likely pick up the new version regardless, as Medici is the best pure auction game for me, even if I rarely have a group to play it with.

Also, impressions from the previous thread on this seemed pretty positive to me ( https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1524647/it-worth-it-just-tw... ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
Also, most valuable ship is lowered to 20 points (from 30 at all other player counts).

I think it looks fairly promising... going to try playing it with my old Amigo version, but will most likely pick up the new version regardless, as Medici is the best pure auction game for me, even if I rarely have a group to play it with.

Also, impressions from the previous thread on this seemed pretty positive to me ( https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1524647/it-worth-it-just-tw... ).

That's what we did ... we have the older Amigo edition, and the ugly Rio edition. My wife and I tried the new Grail edition last night with the two player rules, and it worked well. Very fast and cutthroat as there are no points for second. She won

The new edition is very nice, but you still have to look twice at some of the cards to make sure you have the right type (wheat vs star anise symbols, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also tried the two player game and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It is quite cutthroat, but in a very good way. Some don't like the randomness of removing 18 cards. But I like not knowing exactly what is going to show up from round to round. We found that it kept us on the edge of our seat.

One source of tension in the 2 player game is filling your boat too early and allowing your opponent to get a lot of goods for free. Sometimes you will feel forced to let a lot go just so that does not happen. Also, with the extra slots in 2 player, you do have a little wiggle room to purchase a good or two you know won't be useful to you in order to interfere with your opponent. Good stuff.

Is 2 the best player count for this game? No. But I will not hesitate to play a 2 player game of this when given the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it ---- it plays quick. You will also lose even when you employ the perfect strategy, because of the increased importance of chance in a two player game. But as a light game which GENERALLY rewards strategic thinking and is fun to play, it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.