Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/07/world-war-japanes...

For many years the Japanese mapped large areas of Asia (especially China, Korea and Russia) in preparation for military conquest and exploitation.
At the end of World War 2 over 8,000 maps and the plates used to print them were taken back to the USA and distributed among libraries.
The link above gives some details about the maps, how they were made, and how they were rediscovered.
The links below take you to Stanford University and Tohoku University libraries, two places where some of these maps have been digitized and are available for free download.

http://library.stanford.edu/guides/gaihozu-japanese-imperial...

http://chiri.es.tohoku.ac.jp/~gaihozu/index.php?lang=en-US

I hope you find these useful!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

I hope you find these useful!

Thanks!

Just in time, as I am seriously thinking again to port my "No Retreat!" game system to the Pacific Theater. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I was thinking your system might do well to cover China - Burma - India.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Interesting, I was thinking your system might do well to cover China - Burma - India.

Brian

Indeed. A couple of gamers started work on games in those theaters in those exact theaters years ago, using my system, but threw the towel early as they found wargame design way too much work (and who can blame them!). I do have all their preliminary papers and research.

As for me, I am not that familiar with the Pacific War, and more importantly it's not something that I am very interested in yet; perhaps eventually. But not in the next couple of years for sure.

If I ever do this, my first take will be a three-game package: Wake-Guadalcanal-Tarawa. But Malaya is another good contender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking C-B-I instead of the island battles, since most of your games seem to be at division or corps level and 1 month or more per turn.
I don't have your Italian Front game so I don't know how you have handled amphibious assaults.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are first rate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I was thinking C-B-I instead of the island battles, since most of your games seem to be at division or corps level and 1 month or more per turn.
I don't have your Italian Front game so I don't know how you have handled amphibious assaults.

Brian

The first NR was Armies/Fronts, the second Divisions, the third Corps, and the fourth Divisions again. But I did make a bonus Crete game for NR2 at battalion level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:

Brian

Indeed. A couple of gamers started work on games in those theaters in those exact theaters years ago, using my system, but threw the towel early as they found wargame design way too much work (and who can blame them!). I do have all their preliminary papers and research.

As for me, I am not that familiar with the Pacific War, and more importantly it's not something that I am very interested in yet; perhaps eventually. But not in the next couple of years for sure.

If I ever do this, my first take will be a three-game package: Wake-Guadalcanal-Tarawa. But Malaya is another good contender.

Korea whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:
licinius wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:

Brian

Korea whistle

In fact Korea would probably work very well, as that campaign is at the right scale and saw many reversals of fortune and initiative, something that NO Retreat! manages well. I might need two decks of cards for that one. It would be easier to do than than a series of Pacific Battles. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see that game, Carl.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I would like to see that game, Carl.

Brian

Ok I'll look seriously into it. I think it could be very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The first year or so, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
The first year or so, yes.

I was talking about designing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe that too! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Well, maybe that too! laugh

Arrrhhh.... I hate you too, Brian. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesting, Brian. Great find. Looking at the 1:50k maps of the Philippines and I'm surprised to find no grid lines. I've read that IJA artillery was no great shakes, often relying on direct fire. So curious.

And the Shanghai sheet includes notes on the human terrain. Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm guessing (and if I'm wrong, I am sure someone will show up to correct me) that the Japanese probably handled their artillery much as armies did in World War One: direct firing over open sights or panoramic sights when on the move, and using rangefinders, telescopes and telephones when there was time to dig in and prepare battery positions for indirect fire, using tables and quadrants.
But I wonder how the FOOs described their positions without using grid squares... "I am just below the bottom right-hand radical in the SHI in FUN-DO-SHI, got it?"

Interesting notes on human terrain, and for a city like Shanghai it was important.
I was working on a Chile '73 game recently and found a US Army Corps of Engineers map of Santiago from 1969, with a gazetteer of important sites to seek and avoid (water and power control stations, consulates, etc..).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

I was working on a Chile '73 game recently and found a US Army Corps of Engineers map of Santiago from 1969, with a gazetteer of important sites to seek and avoid (water and power control stations, consulates, etc..).

Off topic, but perhaps you could consider a counter for five-year-old me caught there in transit. With the family of course. Not like I had to shoot myself out or anything. That came later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'll make you a random event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am nothing if not a random event. Touché.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.