Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've had this game for a couple of weeks now but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. The plan is to fix that this weekend, but there's something that's been bugging me about the rules for a little while.

My understanding is that everyone plays their two cards for the round and completes all troop movement and only after this has happened, at the end of the round, does combat occur. This is all well and good, but the combat rules make a distinction between the aggressor and the defender, as per original Risk - so at that point, how do you remember which was which?

For those that have played already - does this even matter, or are the rounds short enough and the battles few enough that there's no confusion?

Towards the end of the game, is it more likely to get confusing when there's more going on?

Does anyone have a clever mechanism they use for dealing with this (e.g. leaving a marker in each region to show who the aggressor was)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy,
I use other games' tokens to mark the attacker because it matters. For example:
- a DEFENDER can Fortify (bonus city-tile action) in a disputed castle or city territory
- a DEFENDER can move units out of a battle but must leave an equal number behind to match ATTACKER'S strength
I've had no issues so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting, thanks Pepe. I wonder if others have had the same issue...?

On a related note, how do you handle the combat phase? Do you all take it in turns to resolve each combat individually, or do you work out pairs of battles, such that players A & B could resolve their combat at the same time as players C & D? I'm thinking of adopting that after the first game or so - seems like it would speed up that phase considerably - but then again, I don't yet know whether that phase even needs speeding up. Perhaps there aren't usually a lot of different battles happening at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
That's interesting, thanks Pepe. I wonder if others have had the same issue...?

On a related note, how do you handle the combat phase? Do you all take it in turns to resolve each combat individually, or do you work out pairs of battles, such that players A & B could resolve their combat at the same time as players C & D? I'm thinking of adopting that after the first game or so - seems like it would speed up that phase considerably - but then again, I don't yet know whether that phase even needs speeding up. Perhaps there aren't usually a lot of different battles happening at once?

Andy - the most battles I've had at once were three, but it is usually two (for me, anyway). The King player (first player) decides the battle sequence, but I suppose you could have a pair of battles being resolved at the same time and save a few minutes here and there, but you (and the others) would be missing out on the fun of watching each battle develop and talking smack :) As you're preparing for a game, I'm adding a prior post of mine for your perusal, hope you find it helpful:

Kept forgetting some of the finer points, so I made a players' aid - posting it so you can see some of the stuff not covered in Marco Arnaudo's video review:

Risk Medieval Europe, player aid

All card actions may be done in part OR not at all - chosen cards must still be discarded

A. Expand
- May move into unclaimed territories
- May move into enemy territories - you become the Attacker
- Must have a siege engine if enemy territories contain castles
- Defender may leave disputed territories - subject to fly-paper rule
- A third army may not expand into disputed territories
- May not expand into disputed territories, or territories you control
- Must always leave at least one unit in territories you expand from

B. Maneuver
- May move units between territories you control - max of two territories
- Territories must be connected by supply lines (borders/sea lanes)
- Must stop upon entering disputed territories
- Cannot maneuver out of disputed territories
- Cannot drop off or pick up units
- Must leave at least one unit behind when leaving a castle or city territory, otherwise ALL units can move

C. Tax
- Select ONE city to tax and include the tax value of any territories that are connected to it by supply lines (non-city territories are worth one coin)
- Supply lines cannot be traced through disputed territories

D. Bonus card actions (may be done before or after the regular card action)
- Fortify: add units to ONE controlled city/castle; alternatively, this may be done by the defender of a disputed city/castle territory
- King Me: takes effect at the beginning of the next round
- Siege Assault: select ONE territory containing one or more siege engines to fire into an adjacent enemy territory
-- enemy cannot return fire
-- cannot fire across sea lanes
-- cannot fire into or out of disputed territories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kracht
United States
Wexford
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on a single game -- it seems there are relatively few battles and it's no problem to keep track of who is attacker and who is defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.