1 , 2  Next »   | 

New Angeles» Forums » General

Subject: New Angeles: Reimplements ... ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, we all know that FFG hasn't had an original idea in, like, decades. So, what's the games / mechanics they're reimplementing for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Froehlich
United States
Fort Campbell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just based off of the description it sounds like Archipelago with the mechanic of trying to make as much money as possible but that the same no driving the city (natives) into revolt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Okay, we all know that FFG hasn't had an original idea in, like, decades. So, what's the games / mechanics they're reimplementing for this game?

Monopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
cfroehlich7584 wrote:
Just based off of the description it sounds like Archipelago with the mechanic of trying to make as much money as possible but that the same no driving the city (natives) into revolt.

This is what I thought as well. The hidden "traitor" possibility really locked it in. That said I think Archipelago is a really interesting game and happy to see others try their take on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
jhaelen wrote:

Monopoly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukedenby wrote:
cfroehlich7584 wrote:

This is what I thought as well. The hidden "traitor" possibility really locked it in. That said I think Archipelago is a really interesting game and happy to see others try their take on it.

Besides the common use of the "hidden traitor", it doesn't sound like the gameplay mechanisms, just from an evaluation of the board structure, are the same. I'm very interested in this as well and there are ways to do multiple round traitor/moocher (see Giza: The Great Pyramid) that can be just as interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UGH I want to like Archipelago so much. I really wish they'd do a 2nd edition which cleaned up the rules and made it SLIGHTLY more streamlined.

I really hope this game is similar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Solna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games that popped into my mind was Archipelago because reasons above, but also Troyes - where you also play as influental people competing but at the same time protecting a city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
UGH I want to like Archipelago so much. I really wish they'd do a 2nd edition which cleaned up the rules and made it SLIGHTLY more streamlined.

I really hope this game is similar!

Eh, this game has really simple rules. Any more streamlining and it kills the thematic charm in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question. It's obviously not Archipelago or Troyes though. It's a deal-making game, it initially sounded like it might have a heritage in I'm the Boss!, but from the description it would be a bit of a stretch to say it reimplements it. It might be pretty obscure; the Bauhaus reimplementation as Mainframe was going pretty deep into the back catalog. It is true FFG likes to reimplement and reuse in their boardgames, so my money would be on there being a direct precursor design out there somewhere. But you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
I had the same question. It's obviously not Archipelago or Troyes though. It's a deal-making game, it initially sounded like it might have a heritage in I'm the Boss!, but from the description it would be a bit of a stretch to say it reimplements it. It might be pretty obscure; the Bauhaus reimplementation as Mainframe was going pretty deep into the back catalog. It is true FFG likes to reimplement and reuse in their boardgames, so my money would be on there being a direct precursor design out there somewhere. But you never know.

Well it's an in-house designer so at least not a direct reskin like Bauhaus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes. Given the credited designer, it probably is an original(ish) design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my first thought was I'm the Boss reskinned in typical FFG chrome.

I am intrigued to hear/see more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of Justinian no. This one Justinian
No, wrong Game. Meant A Game of Thrones: Hand of the King sorry, wrong thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any relationship to Mecanisburgo?

The city theme and players as corporations came to mind, but I don't know anything about the FFG mechanics. Does each player have a set of agents to place in the city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rankin
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the video from Team Covenant, I see shades of Battlestar Galactica.

Each corporation appears to get to draw cards from various decks (security, biotech, construction, media, and ???) Each corporation card has a couple of those 'skills' with a 1 or a 2 next to them similar to the skills in BSG. I believe that these are the offers/counteroffers that get played face up by players. They may also (?) be played face down to support either the offer or counteroffer.

There's also a demand card requiring certain resources to be produced or else the fail condition triggers that pushes the game toward the Federal takeover game lose condition (unless you're the Cylon).

At a high level it also reminds me of Republic of Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the Team Covenant video makes it look a *lot* like BSG. I wouldn't call it a reimplementation, though, there's a lot of little changes. There's no direct action selection, and no pawns to put on spaces for that; there are the android tokens to gain resources from spaces instead. There are five resources instead of four, and the game doesn't immediately end when a resource hits zero. The Human First, prisec and orgcrime figures are entirely new, they look related to how much a space produces, probably like outage, illness and strike tokens. (I love how the prisec figures push the Human First figures around, btw.)

It looks like the delta between New Angeles and BSG isn't great, but it's definitely bigger than the delta between Mainframe and Bauhaus, and definitely bigger than Imperial Assault and Descent. It looks like New Angeles provides the same kinds of fun as BSG, both in a running-around-putting-out-fires gameplay and the traitor gameplay. Knowing BSG would help with strategy, but I think players will still need to learn a whole new set of rules.

What was that one non-licensed slimmed-down version of BSG? I never got a chance to play that. Maybe New Angeles is more similar to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be more fair to say that this re-uses mechanics from BSG than call it a "re-implementation". There's similarities in how cards are acquired and the need to beat certain challenges - not to mention the hidden traitor - but I think the gameplay will be radically different. Remember: in this, everyone is out to beat someone else. It's not a question of "what action do we take to best combat the challenges the board throws at us plus mitigate the damage a traitor can do" - it's "how do I achieve my personal goal, which might be under threat from different players in different ways".

And I think that this may well appeal to different people to BSG, with this involving continual player conflict beyond "wait, maybe they're the Cyclon!" Overlap, certainly, but still pretty distinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe - just maybe - this isn't a re-implementation of anything but is, in fact, a completely original game...? wow

Mind blown, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, you don't have to be a jerk about it. Sorry for having fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
What was that one non-licensed slimmed-down version of BSG? I never got a chance to play that. Maybe New Angeles is more similar to that.
Dark Moon, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
Jeez, you don't have to be a jerk about it. Sorry for having fun.

It's probably not fun for the designer who is seeing all these implications that his design can't possibly be original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG wrote:
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

This does look pretty original but I am fascinated by this thread that somehow there's such thing as a game which doesn't have elements of other games within.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was being repeatedly described by demoers and instructors as having elements of both BSG and Dead of Winter: The group is on the hook for gathering a certain count and variety of resources by activating certain locations, which can get affected by the presence of unrest, riots, illness, orgcrime, Human First thugs, and private security. Plastic units (orgcrime gangsters, Human First "activists", and private security squads) are movable from location to location. Locations are connected in a tree-like structure which the enemies will gradually traverse until they reach The Root (the bottom of the space elevator), at which point they are removed and cause Threat to increase - so there is both resource gathering and "Castle Panic" challenges to overcome.

In the meantime, each individual player must either beat a specific secret player by a certain amount of VP at game's end, or (if you're the Federalist) cause the Threat Level to max and end the game with a minimum score to be included in the nationalization plan.

It is not guaranteed that the Federalist mission will be in the game, but there is enough opportunity for individual advancement that the urge to act as an adversary is strong.

The BSG component aside from hidden agendas is the skill cards, which come in 5-6 flavors, and each flavor focuses on a particular part of the resource-gathering or threat-preventing crises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hahaha from the OP I thought you were just taking the piss, but it turns out no. :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.