Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few combat questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read and understand the rules about the doubler token that it cannot be flipped or recast when something is stacked on it, but the token stacked on it can be. However if the token on top is removed (example by Blast), does the doubling token go with it (I would think so as it is considered spent)?

Also in most threads regarding the doubling token they only speak about doubling damage, are you allowed to double a single surge icon to be able to use a double cost skill though(such as mind meld)?

A double surge token (or doubled single one if above is true) cannot be used to activate 2 (different) single-cost surge abilities right? (I find this a no-brainer but my friend wants proof...)

If you for example have multiple physical attack tokens (say two singles and one double axe), you can just use them all and deal all damage in one go. Are you allowed to split them up however, for example use only a single one to avoid the effects of dodge (negate the next damage done to you) and then use the rest to effectively deal damage next combat turn?

Magic and physical damage, any difference? Ive read about effects on magic attacks but am yet to encounter any skills/items that provide this after 5 playthroughs. Did i just miss them or is it something to come in expansions (like the skillcard decks)?

After passing in a combat round, you no longer get combat turns and only can use shields to defend. Are you allowed to spend a '-'token as an action to avoid passing and losing further turns in the round?

Master thornes mindmeld reflects the damage before taking his shields into account? And can monsters use shields against this (thematically it would make sense not to, but it doesnt say 'cannot be blocked')?

Ive read (god forbid i remember where) that you are allowed to roll more then 5 movement dice, should you have for example noble steed and a skill and/or item that also adds a die. (Rerolling a die and still use its previous effect i guess)
Does this also count for lyssa's ability? (Would be quite OP, no?)

After defeating an enemy coming from a quest or event ("draw combat deck and fight that monster (add/subtract X health)") do you get both the spoils (gold/lore) and the combat trophy atop the quest/event trophy that initiated battle (given it doesnt say 'discard this card' off course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
Voske4000 wrote:
I've read and understand the rules about the doubler token that it cannot be flipped or recast when something is stacked on it, but the token stacked on it can be. However if the token on top is removed (example by Blast), does the doubling token go with it (I would think so as it is considered spent)?

The doubler is spent only when you discard it with another token stacked on it. Removing a token from the doubler doesn't mean the doubler is spent, and the player is certainly allowed to place another token on the doubler as his combat action and later spend the doubler + the new token

Voske4000 wrote:
Also in most threads regarding the doubling token they only speak about doubling damage, are you allowed to double a single surge icon to be able to use a double cost skill though(such as mind meld)?

You certainly can duplicate Shields, Surges, and so on

Voske4000 wrote:
A double surge token (or doubled single one if above is true) cannot be used to activate 2 (different) single-cost surge abilities right? (I find this a no-brainer but my friend wants proof...)

Correct. The entire token must be spent on a single combat action. Thus you can spend 2 surges to activate a 1-surge item, but you cannot spend a single 2-surge token (or a 1-surge token on a doubler) to trigger two different 1-surge abilities

Voske4000 wrote:
If you for example have multiple physical attack tokens (say two singles and one double axe), you can just use them all and deal all damage in one go. Are you allowed to split them up however, for example use only a single one to avoid the effects of dodge (negate the next damage done to you) and then use the rest to effectively deal damage next combat turn?

Yes. Tokens showing the same symbol may be spent together if you wish, but it's not compulsory. So, spending 1 Shield on a single damage attack means you can save other shields for other attacks, and so on

Voske4000 wrote:
Magic and physical damage, any difference? Ive read about effects on magic attacks but am yet to encounter any skills/items that provide this after 5 playthroughs. Did i just miss them or is it something to come in expansions (like the skillcard decks)?

The only difference is that they cannot stack, i.e. you can't spend magic and physical damage together, you need to spend those as different combat actions

Voske4000 wrote:
After passing in a combat round, you no longer get combat turns and only can use shields to defend. Are you allowed to spend a '-'token as an action to avoid passing and losing further turns in the round?

No

Voske4000 wrote:
Master thornes mindmeld reflects the damage before taking his shields into account? And can monsters use shields against this (thematically it would make sense not to, but it doesnt say 'cannot be blocked')?

Don't remember Master Thorn's wording, sorry. Mind posting it? In any case monsters can certainly spend shileds unless Thorn's ability reads "unblockable damage"

Voske4000 wrote:
Ive read (god forbid i remember where) that you are allowed to roll more then 5 movement dice, should you have for example noble steed and a skill and/or item that also adds a die. (Rerolling a die and still use its previous effect i guess)

There's no cap to your movement dice pool

Voske4000 wrote:
After defeating an enemy coming from a quest or event ("draw combat deck and fight that monster (add/subtract X health)") do you get both the spoils (gold/lore) and the combat trophy atop the quest/event trophy that initiated battle (given it doesnt say 'discard this card' off course)

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stiltner
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"[2 surges] MIND MELD For the rest of this combat round, after you take damage from an attack, deal an equal amount of magic damage."

Mind Meld's is damage calculated after it has been reduced by Thorn's shields. Monsters will also be able to use their shields to reduce Mind Meld's damage.

Note that if Thorn dies, Mind Meld does not trigger. (There are no draws in Runebound combat.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voske4000 wrote:

There are some skills/items that do refer specifically to physical or magical damage. I vaguely remember stuff that doubles magic damage, or makes physical damage unblockable, etc.

Voske4000 wrote:

It's possible, but be aware that certain items/skills only give you the extra die for exploration, but not movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.