Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like some Tips on how best to use the crimean faction.
There's no immediate access to wood to get the mine in play early.
The faction ability seems weak.
I tried building a mech and moving to inactive home bases to grab the encounters before the Poland faction grabbed them.
I seemed rather in a position where I was unsure what sort of tactic to adopt.

2. Does anyone find this factions ability weaker than the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,

While this is not specific to the Crimean faction...I would suggest utilizing the Trade action to garner much-needed wood if you desire a Mine.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Rob,

While this is not specific to the Crimean faction...I would suggest utilizing the Trade action to garner much-needed wood if you desire a Mine.

Cheers,
Joe

Yeh I get that cheers.
Still 4 turns and 2 coins to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Rob,

Cheers,
Joe

Yeh I get that cheers.
Still 4 turns and 2 coins to get it.

That would depend on your action board the actual cost and what is is paired with. You can always see if a riverwarlking mech or a build / mine action is cheaper quicker.

In low player counts using the home base ability to grab land which is hard to take or drop of workers on to new resources is pretty good. I imagine in higher player counts it is not as strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the Crimean faction ability super powerful, and use it all the time when possible. It's critical to have a steady flow of combat cards, so in my last game I enlisted the card bonus early and took more cards with the recruit token. I also made sure to build up my power so I always was a threat in combat (I had Saxony right next to me).

The only thing I didn't really do was going after encounters (other than two, I think). Instead I produced food (lots!) and enlisted all 4 as quickly as possible.

I won that 3-player game with 83 coins. The Saxony player ended the game when I was on 5 stars and ready to close by producing my last worker. I managed to get in the high popularity row, and also had the most hexes, incl. the factory hex).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a good post on strategy for this faction - it was posted about a week or so ago.

Of the 5 games of Scythe I have had, 3 have been as Crimeans. The game I won (a 4 player) was as Industrial. From memory I hit upgrade pretty hard, also did any early enlist (getting combat cards but revealing the deploy bonus). The other two were with Patriotic and I seemed to struggle with that combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
There is a good post on strategy for this faction - it was posted about a week or so ago.

Of the 5 games of Scythe I have had, 3 have been as Crimeans. The game I won (a 4 player) was as Industrial. From memory I hit upgrade pretty hard, also did any early enlist (getting combat cards but revealing the deploy bonus). The other two were with Patriotic and I seemed to struggle with that combo.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1611257/faction-discussion-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
I would suggest utilizing the Trade action to garner much-needed wood if you desire a Mine.

Agreed!
I find, that Trade is a very, very powerful action in the early game, since you have not much workers, and getting more workers AND moving them AND producing again - is much more actions, than simply getting those resources with the "Trade" action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfischer wrote:
I find the Crimean faction ability super powerful, and use it all the time when possible. It's critical to have a steady flow of combat cards, so in my last game I enlisted the card bonus early and took more cards with the recruit token. I also made sure to build up my power so I always was a threat in combat (I had Saxony right next to me).

The only thing I didn't really do was going after encounters (other than two, I think). Instead I produced food (lots!) and enlisted all 4 as quickly as possible.

I won that 3-player game with 83 coins. The Saxony player ended the game when I was on 5 stars and ready to close by producing my last worker. I managed to get in the high popularity row, and also had the most hexes, incl. the factory hex).

We played our first 5 player game after unboxing and Crimea won in pretty much the exact same way as you describe here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1611257/faction-discussion-c...

Thank you Mathue, I was going to shamelessly plug my own discussion but now I don't have to!

Op: You really should check it out, because imo Crimea is easily 1st or 2nd best faction in the game. They require a different approach, but once you figure it out they seem almost TOO good.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of your actions can always be chained to get a Upgrade or an Enlist on turn two. This is because Bolster counts as a wild card resource for Crimea. These actions can be used to secure Crimea's Combat Card supply for the rest of the game. In general you can think of Bolster as a weaker Trade whose bottom row action is more profitable (+3 or +2 coins instead of always +0).

You're right about the limited wood supply though. Crimea's the only faction for which I'll prioritize the Riverwalk mech to get off the island (instead of the alternate movement ability or a mine).

As an example, consider the following opening with Mechanical Crimea: Trade (Metal) - Bolster+Deploy (Speed Mech) - Move (all units to encounter) - Produce (Metal) - Bolster+Deploy (Riverwalk Mech). That's two mechs, 2 coins, and an encounter in five turns, and you're in position for another encounter on turn 6. In terms of acceleration, Crimea's probably pretty close to Rusviet; you just have to plan around your weak (but profitable) fake-Trade as above, instead of just spamming whatever your favorite action is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tankbard wrote:

You're right about the limited wood supply though. Crimea's the only faction for which I'll prioritize the Riverwalk mech to get off the island (instead of the alternate movement ability or a mine).

Precisely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
I'd really like some Tips on how best to use the crimean faction.
There's no immediate access to wood to get the mine in play early.
The faction ability seems weak.
I tried building a mech and moving to inactive home bases to grab the encounters before the Poland faction grabbed them.
I seemed rather in a position where I was unsure what sort of tactic to adopt.

2. Does anyone find this factions ability weaker than the others?

I believe I read somewhere that Crimea was the strongest faction in testing. Converting any combat card into a resource is a very strong ability and their starting position is very good being on a both a village and a farm, with the opportunity to move to a mountain very quickly.

Typically, I will rush the first Recruit to get 2 early combat cards, but also unlock the Combat card on the Enlist action. This should give you a steady flow of combat cards while you are also working on getting your 4 Recruit star.

Additionally, I generally go with Riverwalk over Wayfare to start depending on how badly I want to get to The Factory. If that isn't overly necessary, then simply getting all 4 of your mechs in your opening territory is perfectly viable. This will allow you to move capture lots of territory in a very short amount of time, or simply get resources that you need.

Avoid fighting until you have Scout unlocked. This ability can be downright crippling when used effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert VG
msg tools
Get all your workers out and enlist a ton and get an easy star. Use your faction ability to use resources more efficiently in combination with trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make maximum use of the 2-pronged special abilities for combat cards.

Steal cards to win combats, or shore up your economy.
Make use of that early power edge.

My base strategy is to use combat and combat-related stuff to get 5 of the 6 stars, and I found Crimea fit well with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
My base strategy is to use combat and combat-related stuff to get 5 of the 6 stars
Given that only 2 stars can come from combat, what "combat-related stuff" are you referring to for the other 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
havoc110 wrote:
My base strategy is to use combat and combat-related stuff to get 5 of the 6 stars
Given that only 2 stars can come from combat, what "combat-related stuff" are you referring to for the other 3?

Guessing Mechs, max Power, and...Objective (if applicable)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Max Power while doing a lot of combats and concentrating on gaining cards when bolstering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:
havoc110 wrote:

Guessing Mechs, max Power, and...Objective (if applicable)

Yes, this is a fallacy that only 2 stars come from combat.
Per the earlier answer, in relative order.

deploy mechs
16 power
win combat
win combat
objective (control "x")

You don't need to gain cards when bolstering, you steal them, at least until you place the 16 power star.

Note that you start closer to the 16 power star than any other faction, also you might be able to win combats early in the game with very little expenditure of power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danwarr wrote:
I believe I read somewhere that Crimea was the strongest faction in testing.
That wouldn't surprise me...
Danwarr wrote:
Converting any combat card into a resource is a very strong ability
You could say that!

I've now seen (Patriotic) Crimea in action twice, and their ability is incredibly good because you get to use it almost every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.