Subject: Couple questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are "dealt damage" and "assigned damage" the same thing?

Can you play multiple responses to the same trigger, eg two Gondorian Disciplines in a row for 4 damage reduction from an attack?

Also... Why does it take a miner to cure poison and pull people out of sacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Should be. Any time a character has damage equal to their hit points they are destroyed whether the damage was "dealt" or "assigned". You can prevent the damage regardless of the terminology as well. Without a specific example I can't think of any meaningful distinctions.

2. Yes.

3. No idea lol. And for the longest time that was the only card in the game that could remove condition attachments. 99% of the time I feel the theme of a card is pretty obviously played out in its mechanics. Not sure what happened with the Miner of the Iron Hills.

Especially when you consider that later on in the game mining becomes an actual repeated theme where any cards that have to do with mining somehow involve discarding cards from the top of your deck. Zigil Miner, Ered Luin Miner, Hidden Cache, and the Lore dwarf who's name is escaping me all interact with your deck in the same way.

I suspect this is the rare case where the designers had a need to have a card in the core set that could remove conditions, while at the same time they had a need to get one more ally into the lore deck and theme succumbed to game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there are a few cases where dealt and assigned damage are not the same - particularly spirit frodo. Damage happens in two steps. The first is assigning damage, the next is dealing damage. Spirit frodo gets assigned damage, but then cancels it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in that case, since Gondorian Discipline says damage "dealt," would that mean that the damage gets assigned, goes through, and they could die before the damage is canceled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is really bad at keeping their terminology sane. When something "cancels" something that already happened, you basically roll back the game state to the point before it would happen. Again, there's a really small amount of cards where it matters. For example, if you cancel the damage Hero Treebeard deals to himself, then his ability doesn't trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.