$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to use "Steal Enchantment" Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
salonikios bullit
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Question is clear i think: Can the Wizard with "Steal Enchantment" incantation steal for example Warlock's "Ghoul Rot" and use it against him, or it is forbitten because he is not in the same school?

I ask this because i've read the following: "Steal Enchantment cannot be used to take control of an enchantment you might otherwise be restricted from. For example, the Wizard cannot take control of a Forcemaster’s Forcefield"

I agree but this is obvious because in "Forcefield" writes -Forcemaster only-, in the case i'm saying says nothing (only legal target(?) on the Steal Enchantment card)

thanks in advance
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, you could build a book of spells with 'Ghoul Rot' in it as the Wizard, it would just be a very expensive spell for being outside your normal spells. So yes, I do believe you can steal that card.

(Note, am a novice to the game. Others may have a more informed answer.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow is correct. You can steal Ghoul Rot.

The spells that have grey text and a mage or school only wording are restricted and cannot be stolen. For example, the Druid's Barkskin or the Forcemaster's Forcefield. I believe you can still destroy them with a Steal Enchantment spell but you cannot cast them on yourself or a friendly creature.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salonikios bullit
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
I believe you can still destroy them with a Steal Enchantment spell but you cannot cast them on yourself or a friendly creature.


Hmm the "Ghoul Rot" is different though , it makes 2 direct damage if you put it in an enemy creature or even on Warlock (+2 mana), so is it legal to put it against him?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steal equipment has specific text that lets you destroy a card if you can't steal it. Steal enchantment does not. If you can't steal it, steal enchantment is useless. As others have said, it you can possibly include it in your book, you can steal it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salonikios wrote:
wtcannonjr wrote:
I believe you can still destroy them with a Steal Enchantment spell but you cannot cast them on yourself or a friendly creature.


Hmm the "Ghoul Rot" is different though , it makes 2 direct damage if you put it in an enemy creature or even on Warlock (+2 mana), so is it legal to put it against him?


You take control of the spell and are required to put it on a legal target. The warlock is a legal target. You must pay the casting and reveal cost, including mage bind costs, to do remove it from its original target based on its original target, and again to attach it to its new target based on its new target. Potentially costing 16 mana to move it from your mage to theirs.

I'm at GenCon so can't look up specific page numbers in rules to link you to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salonikios bullit
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thanks very much Ivan and guys
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
Dreamshadow is correct. You can steal Ghoul Rot.

The spells that have grey text and a mage or school only wording are restricted and cannot be stolen. For example, the Druid's Barkskin or the Forcemaster's Forcefield. I believe you can still destroy them with a Steal Enchantment spell but you cannot cast them on yourself or a friendly creature.


To be clear - you CAN steal a Barkskin or a Forcefield if you are a Druid or a ForceMaster. Anyone can cast Steal Enchantment, it's just more expensive for non-Wizards to put in their spell books.

Broadly, anyone can cast any spell in this game, with the exception of <5% of spells that are restricted to a class or school of mage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
Steal equipment has specific text that lets you destroy a card if you can't steal it. Steal enchantment does not. If you can't steal it, steal enchantment is useless. As others have said, it you can possibly include it in your book, you can steal it.


I was able to check the Rules Supplement and for those spells that you cannot control due to spell restrictions, you can still use Steal Enchantment to move the spell to another target. So in this case it becomes a more expensive type of Shift Enchantment spell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry I didn't go into more detail. Yes, you can move the enchantment. It still has to go on a legal target though, so for barkskin it has to go on a druid, and forcefield has to go on a forcemaster. You also do not take control of it, so a standard bearer has to go on a soldier friendly to the warlord and continues to affect the warlords creatures. I think you can begin to see why I called it useless. I'm not going over every restricted enchantment, but I'm hard pressed to find much strategic value.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.