Hide
17 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Cardstock quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Watkinson
msg tools
In his RockPaperShotgun review, Rab Florence commented that the minis are lower quality in this version than they have been in the past.

I ordered the game this morning and am expecting delivery tomorrow or Saturday and I was wondering if I need sleeves.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the cardstock? Are they linened, for example (as with the pretty sturdy Eldritch Horror cards), or do they need sleeving really (as with FFG's LCG cards)?

Thanks very much in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
PitPat wrote:
In his RockPaperShotgun review, Rab Florence commented that the minis are lower quality in this version than they have been in the past.

I ordered the game this morning and am expecting delivery tomorrow or Saturday and I was wondering if I need sleeves.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the cardstock? Are they linened, for example (as with the pretty sturdy Eldritch Horror cards), or do they need sleeving really (as with FFG's LCG cards)?

The cards are fine, they are the same as all FFG's other cards. It is only the investigator minis which are of a lower quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Watkinson
msg tools
Thanks Calvin. So they're more like Eldritch Horror cards than Netrunner or Warhammer Conquest then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
PitPat wrote:
Thanks Calvin. So they're more like Eldritch Horror cards than Netrunner or Warhammer Conquest then?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are the minis such low quality, was it to keep the price down

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F. Thellend
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't to keep the price down - it's to keep the profit high!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Why are the minis such low quality, was it to keep the price down

It could be any number of reasons, maybe they hired a new manufacturer to build them? Maybe the molds weren't up to snuff this time around or maybe a cheaper material was used in an attempt to cut costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the investigator miniatures are the same quality as the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Honestly, the investigator miniatures are the same quality as the first edition.

THEY ARE NOT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:

THEY ARE NOT!

Hey! No yelling. You get a time out. Go sit in the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:

THEY ARE NOT!

Hey! No yelling. You get a time out. Go sit in the corner.

Sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Thel wrote:

I actually feel like the whole game was rushed out a little bit. There's a lot more potential to be realized with the app for instance, especially when it comes to variety. Their current hype for the game really... overstates, shall we say, the variety the App provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
Thel wrote:

I actually feel like the whole game was rushed out a little bit. There's a lot more potential to be realized with the app for instance, especially when it comes to variety. Their current hype for the game really... overstates, shall we say, the variety the App provides.

That could be more of a marketing snafu than a game production problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
When you gain this card from the deck, gain 2 Clues. ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

TBH Eldritch Horror was the same way. The first expansion was a much needed completion of a very limited replayability game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Thel wrote:

That's an understatement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
PitPat wrote:

I just use regular FFG sleeves for these Arkham games. In this case, 5 packs of the FFG mini american sleeves will do just fine. You don't really need sleeves for the investigator cards since they're not used for gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
In most cases we'd assume laziness instead of a conspiracy of some stripe, but when money's at stake (and the company has some record of overhype and lowered quality/missing functionality) you can be sure it was intentional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.