Popular Tags: [View All]
Sonia Mitchell
Scotland
Renfrew
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I'm late to the Panic! party, but would very much like to join!

Given that Star Trek Panic may be beyond my reach (UK based), I'm hoping for a few recommendations.

* Munchkin Panic sounds great! Love collecting treasure and like that the interaction between players may make the co-op more challenging / harder to beat
* Dead Panic looks good too! I like that characters can walk around the cabin, search for items, and repair walls
* Castle Panic seems less exciting, the theme is less interesting and I'm wary of buying expansions straight off the bat..

So Dead vs. Munchkin..? They look very different. Are they really? Is it worth getting both? Or does Castle panic blow them out of the water, with expansions? Which is heavier? Which is harder to beat? Which is more fun? We play mostly 2-player, does that makes a difference? Should I ignore the lot and ship Star Trek from America? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Dead or Munchkin Panic, and honestly, don't have any particular desire to do so (I'm just not a huge Munchkin fan, and I think there are a ton better zombie games out there).

I've played Castle Panic, and just ran some demos of Star Trek Panic last weekend.

I really like Castle Panic, but it does have some replay-ability issues. Once you've gotten a "rhythm" down to play, you can almost always beat it. It's still fun, but its not a huge challenge.

The expansions help with that. And its still a really good intro cooperative game.

I'm becoming a huge fan of Star Trek Panic. While it uses the same fundamentals of Castle Panic, because of the missions, and some of the rules changes, it feels very different.

It's definitely "more difficult" and you can adjust the difficulty level.

Since I think both are well thematically tied, I'd ask "do you prefer castle raids, or space exploration?" Honestly, if you're a Star Trek Original series fan, this is definitely a game I'd put on the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have munchkin panic and castle panic.
We are only 2 persons playing.

Castle panic has been played 5-6 times, munchkin panic 0.
In order to play munchkin panic you need to have a full table, not recommended for 2 persons. Mostly because it has to do with how players interact with each other, just like in normal munchkin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia Mitchell
Scotland
Renfrew
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for your quick responses!

agiorgitis wrote:
I have munchkin panic and castle panic.
We are only 2 persons playing.

Castle panic has been played 5-6 times, munchkin panic 0.
In order to play munchkin panic you need to have a full table, not recommended for 2 persons. Mostly because it has to do with how players interact with each other, just like in normal munchkin

Thanks for the info re: Munchkin. Thinking about it, it makes sense.. and good to know you enjoy CP with 2!

mohnkern wrote:

I really like Castle Panic, but it does have some replay-ability issues. Once you've gotten a "rhythm" down to play, you can almost always beat it. It's still fun, but its not a huge challenge.

The expansions help with that. And its still a really good intro cooperative game.

Expansions are a must then! Quite tempted..

mohnkern wrote:

I'm becoming a huge fan of Star Trek Panic. While it uses the same fundamentals of Castle Panic, because of the missions, and some of the rules changes, it feels very different.

It's definitely "more difficult" and you can adjust the difficulty level.

Since I think both are well thematically tied, I'd ask "do you prefer castle raids, or space exploration?" Honestly, if you're a Star Trek Original series fan, this is definitely a game I'd put on the shelf.

but I think you sold me on Star Trek! More difficult is good.. theme is good! Shipping from America? It's probably worth it! Will hang fire on CP w/expansions for the time being and high tail it to Amazon. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin Panic is semi-cooperative, not cooperative, so is of no interest to me.

Castle Panic in its base form is fun, but extremely simple, so I lost interest after several plays. The Wizards Tower expansion added a bit of complexity and some much-needed decision-making, but ultimately doesn't turn CP into a game I really want to play much. I haven't tried other expansions.

Dead Panic is much better for me than CP, because you make a lot more decisions, and I prefer having an avatar that I can move around the board. And I love the narrative arc of finding the radio, calling for help, and then having to sprint out to the rescue van. However, I *hate* the mechanism where if you die, you turn against the rest of the players. So we play that if anyone dies, we end the game immediately and call it a loss. That seems to work fine with 2p.

Star Trek Panic is my favorite, by a bit, based on just a few plays of it so far. I prefer the Trek theme over Zombies, and the variability of the missions is just slightly more fun than the strong narrative arc of DP.

If my wife preferred DP over STP, that might sway me in the other direction, but she's a sci-fi fan with no love of zombies.

For what it's worth, I'm keeping all 3, at least for now. CP for when we have kids or non-gamers around, DP because I enjoy it so much, and STP because my wife and I both enjoy it so much. If I run low on shelf space, CP will be out the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Castle Panic and Dead Panic.

I like Castle Panic, so I tried Dead Panic at BGG Con. Gaming partner and I were very underwhelmed, told a gaming friend about how and why we didn't like it. The guy ended up getting it anyway (sucker for zombie games, huge coop fan, likes Castle Panic), so we tried it again with him. I think maybe he brought it out one other time before he got rid of it (or he just doesn't bring the game out any more).

There are just so many other cooperative zombie games (Zombicide: Black Plague, Dead Apocalypse, even other relatively light zombie cooperative games like Zombies Keep Out), and Castle Panic seems to have both simpler and better game play, that I can't really see Dead Panic being worth having.
It differs enough in game play that it might be worth trying if you can do so at a Con or other gaming meet up; it is possible that it will appeal to you more.

After Dead Panic, I haven't really sought out the other Panic games, so I can't speak to Munchkin Panic (Munchkin appeal died off for me a long time ago) or Star Trek Panic.

mohnkern wrote:
Before the expansions, we started playing with no walls built at the start of the game. I think we still won more than we lost, but we did lose sometimes, and if we did win it would sometimes be with a single tower standing.

mohnkern wrote:
After Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower, we put the walls back up. Castle Panic: The Dark Titan further increases the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
After Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower, we put the walls back up. Castle Panic: The Dark Titan further increases the difficulty.

Playing with both adds both variety and difficulty. We had a couple of games last week where we won, but it came down to having the right card at just the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
There are just so many other cooperative zombie games (Zombicide: Black Plague, Dead Apocalypse, even other relatively light zombie cooperative games like Zombies Keep Out), and Castle Panic seems to have both simpler and better game play, that I can't really see Dead Panic being worth having.

For me, it's not that DP is a "zombie game". A zombie card game, zombie dice game, and zombie tower defense (where you don't have an avatar in the game) would all be entirely different niches for me. For example, Rise of the Zombies!, Run, Fight, or Die!, and Zombies Keep Out.

Being a cheapskate, I haven't tried any of the mini-heavy zombie games like Zombicide. I'm not aware of many inexpensive, light-medium zombie games similar to DP. They might exist, but I haven't run across them. That's the niche I see for DP. The strong narrative arc also helps a lot.

For someone who considers all zombie games to be in one bucket, I would probably recommend Run, Fight, or Die! (with the co-op expansion) over DP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Castle Panic & Star Trek Panic and like both

I would not play Castle Panic without the 2 expansions and the third expansion is coming out later this year to further expand it and add in more variety and difficulty. It is so far the only Panic game with add-ons and one that has 2 years in a row had promos from International Board Game Day.

I play it the most but still love Star Trek Panic as it has similarities but the missions make it very playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:

I would not play Castle Panic without the 2 expansions and the third expansion is coming out later this year to further expand it and add in more variety and difficulty. It is so far the only Panic game with add-ons and one that has 2 years in a row had promos from International Board Game Day.

I play it the most but still love Star Trek Panic as it has similarities but the missions make it very playable.

I would say exactly the same thing. Castle panic with expansions is a must. The basic game is too easy. I've played it several times with my son and we've won every game even the first 1 that I introduced him to it.

Star Trek Panic is a different beast IMO. Yes it has the same gameplay mechanics but adds much more interesting things to it. The characters have different abilities. You need to commit cards to missions while dealing with threats/monsters. The dilemma is that most hit cards have icons you need to commit to Missions while dealing with the onslaught of enemy wessesl (Chekov accent). You can play a normal 'castle panic' type game where you just deal with the threats in the bag but that's not challenging. It's a variant introduced in the manual. The primary Winning objective is to complete 5 missions. Sounds easy? Nope. Some missions require you to complete within a number of turns. Some prevent you from maneuvering so.

Star Trek Panic is the reason I bought Castle Panic + Expansions. Looking forward to the next expansion later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia Mitchell
Scotland
Renfrew
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:

I would say exactly the same thing. Castle panic with expansions is a must. The basic game is too easy. I've played it several times with my son and we've won every game even the first 1 that I introduced him to it.

Star Trek Panic is a different beast IMO. Yes it has the same gameplay mechanics but adds much more interesting things to it. The characters have different abilities. You need to commit cards to missions while dealing with threats/monsters. The dilemma is that most hit cards have icons you need to commit to Missions while dealing with the onslaught of enemy wessesl (Chekov accent). You can play a normal 'castle panic' type game where you just deal with the threats in the bag but that's not challenging. It's a variant introduced in the manual. The primary Winning objective is to complete 5 missions. Sounds easy? Nope. Some missions require you to complete within a number of turns. Some prevent you from maneuvering so.

Star Trek Panic is the reason I bought Castle Panic + Expansions. Looking forward to the next expansion later this year.

Brilliant! Seems a bit extravagant to ship a game across the ocean, but money well spent I think!

I was also thinking, presumably, if it started getting too easy.. you could write your own mission cards. Maybe even a campaign!?
Very much looking forward to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.