Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Inspired by this thread: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1615514/restarting-myth I wanted to share my ideas for helping people to get into MYTH here.

I'll call my "campaign" a guided adventure. What it does is using the quests of the 2.0 base game and connecting them with a backstory. This backstory is structured into acts (yeah, deja vu), each encompassing several tiles with quests and traps.
Add the end of each act you'll be able to level-up your hero using my "Path of Destiny" card system. The aim is, to guide new (and hopefully veteran players as well) through their adventures up to Journeyman.

Here is a first, rough draft of the first act to illustrate how I imagine this to work. Please don't put too much weight on my narrative skills...

Act 1

As you made your way through the eastern woods, a storm started to brew. Within minutes the bright and friendly day turned into dusk. Unnatural lightning painted the clouds in sick, venemous green and the thunder that followed sounded like the earth-shattering roar of Hrīmceald himself...

QUEST: Stolen Treasure, 6x6

The storm was still raging like an angry beast, when you parted way with Talek Three Dunes. Trying to find the path back to the Old Road, you stumbled upon a small clearing with a strange monolith. A few insect monsters were surrounding it, swaying in an unhearable rhythm while the stone in their center got struck again and again by the green lightning...

TRAP: Chain Lightning, 4x6.
Place 1 stalker and 6 ranged crawlers adjacent to the Lightning Trap

Finally you reached the Old Road again. The unnatural thunderstorm had ceased. If it was cooincidence or because of you destroying that strange monolith you didn’t know. You felt relieved as you continued your travel and finally the sun showed and the usual soothing sounds of the forrest started again… It was well after noon, the sky clear and clean as it can only be right after a storm, when you saw the two figures in cowls, sitting on the log of an fallen oak tree, debating...

QUEST: The Two Farthers, 12x12

Although dusk was approaching rapidly you decided to press on. There was no way you were going to spend the night near that abby. The small town of Erganheim was only 5 miles or so away and you’ve heard good things about the local tavern and its ale…
Hoping for no more “adventures” you followed the Old Road again, but the few miles to Erganheim stretched longer than you liked. Darkness was already decending when you got suddenly hailed by yet another stranger: A man in full body armor, a giant bastard sword at his side and a heartwarming smile that was even visible in the fading light among the forest canopy. He intruced himself as Marcus the Ready and despite his impressive, even intimdating appreance you instantly liked him and after some chatting you decide to travel the remaining miles to Erganheim together.
After another half an hour or so it had gotten dark and the forest around you had grown eerily silent. “Something is not right!”, Marcus whispered to you, when suddenly Grubbers broke from the bushes along the road and attacked you!

TRAP: Consuming Darkness
, 6x6: Place 5 Grubbers and 1 Murker each on the left and right edge of the board. Place Marcus on the tile as an ally.

Beaten and groggy you finally entered the Gaily Bard in Erganheim. The whole tavern turned silent as you and Marcus stepped into the taproom, the marks of your recent battles and adventures clearling showing on your armor and your faces.
“Come on in!”, the innkeeper invited you with a friendly voice, gesturing to a free table close to the fire. You sank on the comfy chairs while the chatter in the tavern slowly started to rise again. “It’s good to have your here.”, the inkeeper muttered as he put the mugs of ale and bowls of hot stew and on your table. “You look like the kind that can deal with … eh… trouble… and we’re having a lot of that, lately.”

Act reward: Each hero draws a Path of Destiny card.

(You can read about the "Path of Destiny" mod here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/133705/myth-paths-des...)

What do you think? Is this something worth pursuing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Let me start by saying I LOVE what you try to do for the community. It is what I hoped Megacon was going to do when they first started out, but in my humble opinion have thus far seriously dropped the ball on building any sort of community at all. Let me focus on the positive here.

My suggestion would be keep it simple. While I really like all your extra content, I think that might be a little too much for someone who's just trying to learn or get re-acquainted with Myth. People need an intro adventure of sorts and then they can delve into your custom stuff.

Which I'd recommend because your content is great, Tobi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Let me start by saying I LOVE what you try to do for the community. It is what I hoped Megacon was going to do when they first started out, but in my humble opinion have thus far seriously dropped the ball. Let me focus on the positive here.

My suggestion would be keep it simple. While I really like all your extra content, I think that might be a little too much for someone who's just trying to learn or get re-acquainted with Myth. People need an intro adventure of sorts and then they can delve into your custom stuff.

Which I'd recommend because your content is great, Tobi!

Thanks! I may have expressed myself badly: With "getting into MYTH" I didn't mean learning the game but giving people a possible way through the content maze.

I agree, that starting off with custom stuff is just too much for newcomers.

Thanks for your feedback and say "Hi" from me to the MCG team at Gencon (wish I could attend...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look at this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10iWiO6PIK7oMaZfNogO5qZ1x...

I prepared it earlier this year and played through most of it with my group. It was used in conjunction with my XP system (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1463871/yet-another-stab-ca...), so that's why the quest rewards are different. After actually playing through it, I no longer think those different rewards are necessary though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow... you've actually re-written every quest... wow! Reads really, really nice.

If this project should move on, perhaps you'd like to help me with writing some of the backstory.

My intention here is to provide a kind of simple DM, that leads people through the quests (without altering them). It is, what I do for my gaming group and we have a really great time playing MYTH.

There is nothing super complex about this, but it may help people understand how you make all the different parts of the game move unisono. And once they get hold of that concept, they can start to tell their own stories / adventures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread really makes me think. Consider 4th edition D&D and say the Temple of Elemental Evil board game. 4th edition is already a bit too close to a board game (instead of an RPG) and it didn't take much to turn it into quite a fun board game. BUT, if you bought 4th edition and didn't know much about it, I wonder what you'd think.

You might get some dungeon tiles, set up some characters and some monsters and try to play out some encounters. It would lack AI for the monsters (added in the TOEE board game). Still you might feel there was "something missing" without knowing what it was. Of course that something would be the world within which the adventure takes place created by the DM. The combat encounters are just a piece of that, and perhaps not the most important piece.

Myth certainly LOOKS like a board game. It has rules, boards, counters, minis, scenarios (quests), etc. Yet, perhaps this is deceptive. I wonder if they should actually encourage what the posters have done here -- that one person take the outline given in the quests, and write an adventure. In this case, he would be allowing the game to run the monsters, but might be making some DM like choices and then playing with a character or two.

Maybe you don't need a DM/Overlord, but maybe you do need a ... story coordinator. I would claim that in order to be a good boardgame, the game itself has to make you want to play. To be a good RPG rule set you don't need that, you just need to provide enough structure to help the GM run the adventure. Indeed you probably don't want TOO much structure because many of those decisions are better left in the DM's hands. Here perhaps we have a game which has a foot in both camps. I'm not sure what that means for the game, or what that Megacon should be doing in terms of the future of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeap, call it storyteller, DM, GM. The thing is: This concept was always there and it was ment to be used. IMHO that's waht MCG wanted people to do. In fact, they wanted all the players at the table to tell their story together, everyone contributing ideas, filling in the blanks between that great artwork and short quest stories.

The thing is: You must have a very special group of people to make this work and most of the time it just doesn't.
IMO MCG failed to put in the rules how this game should be played - and by that I don't mean how poison works. And I think they didn't really realize what it means to call something a boardgame. I think they could have avoided a lot of trouble had they put this out as a tactical rpg.

Try to approach it from this angle (tactical rpg). Try to prepare your next session like you would a rpg adventure - I gave an example in another threat https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1593175/what-should-i-d... - and I'm pretty sure you'll have a great time with MYTH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.