Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently played Evolution and enjoyed it immensely. Did some research and found Climate which seems like it takes Base evolution in an interesting direction. With that said, I went to order and realized it's not out yet and has Kickstarter only content. Before I order Climate, is it possible to get the Kickstarter content? If so, where? I don't like buying incomplete games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously they sold the exclusives on their website so i would check there. (They don't post out of the US though, but you're fine!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speshul wrote:
(They don't post out of the US though, but you're fine!)

Has that changed? I'm in Canada and they mailed the Evolution (original) KS package to me no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Smith

Brunswick
Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to this great game. I know that you can get one or two items which are still-in-stock directly at North Star Games' website, but for the others, you may have to stalk the secondary market. There is one other option: NSG did make a kickstarter/preorder Climate option available strictly for brick-and-mortar FLGSs. This was explicitly not for online stores, but if you can locate a participating retailer, then their Climate copies will have all kickstarted stretch goals included. That won't help for the Flight and earlier stretch goals, but it's something.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RussPSmith wrote:
Welcome to this great game. I know that you can get one or two items which are still-in-stock directly at North Star Games' website, but for the others, you may have to stalk the secondary market. There is one other option: NSG did make a kickstarter/preorder Climate option available strictly for brick-and-mortar FLGSs. This was explicitly not for online stores, but if you can locate a participating retailer, then their Climate copies will have all kickstarted stretch goals included. That won't help for the Flight and earlier stretch goals, but it's something.

Good luck!

Thanks, will contact my FLGS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
If so, where? I don't like buying incomplete games.

Also, note that the extras for Evolution only provide a psychological completeness. I get the impression that Dominic is obsessive about playtesting and balancing the cards. The promos so far have been mostly fan-designed and aren't rigorously tested (or tested at all?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
skyzero wrote:

Also, note that the extras for Evolution only provide a psychological completeness. I get the impression that Dominic is obsessive about playtesting and balancing the cards. The promos so far have been mostly fan-designed and aren't rigorously tested (or tested at all?).

Agree, I personally usually don't like promos for Evolution, they just seem out of place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esed wrote:
Clevider wrote:
skyzero wrote:

Agree, I personally usually don't like promos for Evolution, they just seem out of place

Interesting point. I think I'll just take the plunge and preorder regardless. If the promos turn-up somewhere, I'll scoop them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
blipadouzi wrote:
Speshul wrote:
(They don't post out of the US though, but you're fine!)

Has that changed? I'm in Canada and they mailed the Evolution (original) KS package to me no problem.

We ship internationally for our Kickstarter campaigns because we partner with a fulfillment house. Our website only ships US because we do that from the office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Recently played Evolution and enjoyed it immensely. Did some research and found Climate which seems like it takes Base evolution in an interesting direction.

Glad you enjoyed it! We have a dedicated development team that has poured their hearts into this game. All together, I've personally played Evolution branded games over 600 times! Six other employees have played over 100 times each, and over 40 different outside playtest groups have played at least 10 times each. This is a product that has been well tested!

skyzero wrote:
Before I order Climate, is it possible to get the Kickstarter content? If so, where? I don't like buying incomplete games.

?!! You're killing me! zombie zombie zombie

Climate IS a complete game. As far as I'm concerned, adding anything to Climate would either detract from the experience, or simply change it a little. If we thought something made the game better we would have included it into the game! Anything sold as a promotional item is just that - something designed to promote the game. The game itself is what comes in the box and that was designed with the goal of sticking around for generations.

Now that I've gotten that rant out of the way, I can tell you that we printed about 1,000 extra copies of the promo cards to sell at our convention booths (like at GenCon right now), on our website, and just in case there were issues with our KS backers. Once those copies are sold, we will never do another printing of those exact cards. They are Limited Print Runs. But if there is a card that is particularly good and fits in with an Evolution branded game we are working on... we will commission new art, maybe tweak the text a bit to help with the balance for that particular card set, and use it directly in one of the boxed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Recently played Evolution and enjoyed it immensely. Did some research and found Climate which seems like it takes Base evolution in an interesting direction.

Glad you enjoyed it! We have a dedicated development team that has poured their hearts into this game. All together, I've personally played Evolution branded games over 600 times! Six other employees have played over 100 times each, and over 40 different outside playtest groups have played at least 10 times each. This is a product that has been well tested!

skyzero wrote:
Before I order Climate, is it possible to get the Kickstarter content? If so, where? I don't like buying incomplete games.

Climate IS a complete game. As far as I'm concerned, adding anything to Climate would either detract from the experience, or simply change it a little. If we thought something made the game better we would have included it into the game! Anything sold as a promotional item is just that - something designed to promote the game. The game itself is what comes in the box and that was designed with the goal of sticking around for generations.

Now that I've gotten that rant out of the way, I can tell you that we printed about 1,000 extra copies of the promo cards to sell at our convention booths (like at GenCon right now), on our website, and just in case there were issues with our KS backers. Once those copies are sold, we will never do another printing of those exact cards. They are Limited Print Runs. But if there is a card that is particularly good and fits in with an Evolution branded game we are working on... we will commission new art, maybe tweak the text a bit to help with the balance for that particular card set, and use it directly in one of the boxed games.

Thank you for the follow-up and additional info. Evolution Climate officially pre-ordered! Looking forward to it and will keep an eye out for the promos. Enjoy the con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick heads up about our shipping.

We did just recently start shipping internationally through our website. As Dom noted, however, those are shipped from our office and are then subject to standard US International shipping rates. In almost every case it is more than our Kickstarter rates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
skyzero wrote:

That's awesome, but I don't think you understand the completionist's mindset. Having a "complete" game means having literally every option that game provides. Kickstarter exclusive content is a great way to get completionists to back your KS campaign, but it also means they're going to think twice about buying the game later on if they don't think they can get all the content.

For example, I got into BattleCON after Devastation came out. It was a really painful decision for me, because I knew there was a lot of exclusive content that was very difficult to get for that game, and it wasn't even "tournament legal." In the end, I decided to buy everything that was available at retail, and I spent an unreasonable amount of time and money acquiring the other content I'd missed. I'm actually still missing some of the promos from the first edition. That bugs me a lot, but I'm able to get over it because the first edition was significantly different enough that I'm able to convince my irrational completitionist's brain that it's practically a different game.

Similarly, one of the major reasons I was willing to get into Sentinels of the Multiverse was because they were open about the fact that all of the promos would eventually be released in a boxed set. If I thought I'd never be able to get e.g. the Freedom Six promos for less than $100, I'd probably have never bought into Sentinels at all.

It can be a lot worse, though. I'm the type of completionist who only cares about unique game effects. There are others who would want everything even if the only difference is cosmetic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
domcrap wrote:
skyzero wrote:

That's awesome, but I don't think you understand the completionist's mindset. Having a "complete" game means having literally every option that game provides. Kickstarter exclusive content is a great way to get completionists to back your KS campaign, but it also means they're going to think twice about buying the game later on if they don't think they can get all the content.

For example, I got into BattleCON after Devastation came out. It was a really painful decision for me, because I knew there was a lot of exclusive content that was very difficult to get for that game, and it wasn't even "tournament legal." In the end, I decided to buy everything that was available at retail, and I spent an unreasonable amount of time and money acquiring the other content I'd missed. I'm actually still missing some of the promos from the first edition. That bugs me a lot, but I'm able to get over it because the first edition was significantly different enough that I'm able to convince my irrational completitionist's brain that it's practically a different game.

Similarly, one of the major reasons I was willing to get into Sentinels of the Multiverse was because they were open about the fact that all of the promos would eventually be released in a boxed set. If I thought I'd never be able to get e.g. the Freedom Six promos for less than $100, I'd probably have never bought into Sentinels at all.

It can be a lot worse, though. I'm the type of completionist who only cares about unique game effects. There are others who would want everything even if the only difference is cosmetic.

I for one find this a "between a rock and a hard place" position for publishers who turn to Kickstarter to fund their games. Some customers demand want to see Kickstarter exclusives to be included before they will back the game, and other, later, customers demand want to be able to buy the same exclusives so that they, too, can complete their collections. It's a no-win proposition for publishers, from my point of view.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Asmor wrote:
domcrap wrote:
skyzero wrote:

I for one find this a "between a rock and a hard place" position for publishers who turn to Kickstarter to fund their games. Some customers demand want to see Kickstarter exclusives to be included before they will back the game, and other, later, customers demand want to be able to buy the same exclusives so that they, too, can complete their collections. It's a no-win proposition for publishers, from my point of view.

-M_R

Not really. There are a couple of really simple solutions, actually.

If you want to make the stuff KS exclusive, make it entirely cosmetic. Wooden bits to replace cardboard chits, alternate art or full-art cards, thicker player mats, etc.

If you just want to provide additional content as an incentive to backing, make it readily available direct from the publisher, or even as a retail expansion. KS backers get the content included in the price of the base game, everyone else is still able to get the content after the fact by purchasing it at a fair price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
That's awesome, but I don't think you understand the completionist's mindset.

laugh

You've got me pegged on that account! North Star Games does not currently cater to completionists and I doubt it's something we'll do in the near run unless that segment will help us in our longterm endeavor to design fantastical works of art that spark the imagination, engage your mind, and fill you with wonder.

*cough *cough
I mean, unless they help us in our endeavor to design cool games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.