Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He makes some good points overall. I'm a tech geek so I made it a point to "explore" my main TV for a couple of weeks after installing it, but I readily agree that many things are much harder to do than they should be:

http://macdailynews.com/2016/08/03/mossberg-tvs-are-still-to...

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the features on my LG OLED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the TV is too "complicated" for you, then turn it off and pick up reading.

Here Is my latest Electronic pro tip:

If you have a recent model Samsung or HTC smart phone. there is a good chance it has a built in IR blaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_IR_blaste....

Now add a remote app that can add remotes ( I prefer AnyMote Universal Remote +WiFi but your mileage may vary https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remotefair...).

Next time you are out at dinner and there is a TV on showing something offensive like ISIS bombings, car wrecks, political speeches etc, Maddow. Or just something your kids don't want to watch. You just have to grab your phone, select the brand and quietly mute the volume, switch the channel or turn it off.

Also a bonus, while at a loud sports bar, feel free to turn on closed captioning so that people can actually understand whats going on over the loud shitty music.

By the time anyone complains or finds a remote, you will be long gone and perhaps helped others in your area all discretely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Did it really cost $2,800? That just sounds crazy in 2016.

For $2800, I want something I can drive to the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Mine's a Samsung OLED....very pleased with it too.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I questioned this too, but there's a vast range of prices depending on where you get it so I dunno....

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I questioned this too, but there's a vast range of prices depending on where you get it so I dunno....

Ferret

I was being sarcastic, and basically agreeing with Drew that I can't ever see paying $2800 for a TV. But I know people do - there are plenty of them in the stores with that kind of price tag.

Ultimately, I'm kind of cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This video is totally on point, but as a bonus I know I'll eventually get a thumb from Dar.

A victim of collision on the open sea
Nobody ever said that life was free
Sank, swam, go down with the ship
But use your freedom of choice

I'll say it again in the land of the free
Use your freedom of choice
Your freedom of choice

In ancient Rome
There was a poem
About a dog
Who found two bones
He picked at one
He licked the other
He went in circles
He dropped dead

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom of choice!

Then if you got it you don't want it
Seems to be the rule of thumb
Don't be tricked by what you see
You got two ways to go

I'll say it again in the land of the free
Use your freedom of choice
Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom of choice

In ancient Rome
There was a poem
About a dog
Who found two bones
He picked at one
He licked the other
He went in circles
He dropped dead

[Repeats]
Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Heavier version, less entertaining video
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
A few things jump out at me.

At $2,800 he overpaid. By about $2,000.

...So maybe he's right, but I think cutting way down on feature bloat and offering consumers some very basic HDTVs would be helpful.

When it comes to TVs it's not about feature bloat. Smaller TVs have basically all of the menu features larger ones do at this point. Samsung offers a smart television for $700 that does everything, feature and gadget-wise, that their $3,000 model does.

When it comes to TVs, what you pay more for is screen size - and, by association, image resolution (since 4K TVs only make sense once you go over 60 inches or bigger) - that $700 TV is 48 inches, but the $3000 TV is 75 inches. If you want a big screen, you pay more money. If you're happier with a smaller screen, you pay less money. Bigger screens have gotten slowly cheaper over the years, but this one factor has never changed, and the price points between various brands have more to do with prestige of certain name brands like Sony (and, these days, increasingly LG) versus less-prestigious brands like Samsung or Panasonic or Sharp, rather than what the TVs actually do featurewise, because they all do the same things, because that's the part that's cheap to put in. Once you have some sort of network connectibility, you can add feature on top of feature for basically pennies, but screen size is always going to be more expensive to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Similarly, my mom has an HDTV that has a great picture -- if you get the settings right. And every cable channel seems to be different. On mine, I can switch between Widescreen and 4:3 with a click of the remote. On hers, I have to dig through a bunch of menus again. She also has a problem with the sound going out of sync when watching DVDs, but that might have something to do with how she has cable TV set up. I still don't quite understand why, but if the DVD is out of sync, I switch away from the DVD player to Cable and then back again and it's back. Most of the time that works anyway.

FWIW, see if the TV has a 'game mode' option.

In order to make sure video games are playable, practically all of the newer TVs have that 'game mode' option that disables basically ALL the bizarre stuff the TV is trying to do in order to ensure the lowest response latency between what comes in and when you see it (not as important for TV/DVDs/etc....pretty damn critical for video games).

It will fix basically every problem with it - you just get the picture coming in as it was sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Somewhere around that. Totally worth it for an OLED screen since plasma is dead. Plus, the higher end TVs usually come with more fine grained calibration settings so you can tweak them for your room more easily.

I also don't have issues with dropping $3k on a new gaming PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
A few things jump out at me.

At $2,800 he overpaid. By about $2,000.

...So maybe he's right, but I think cutting way down on feature bloat and offering consumers some very basic HDTVs would be helpful.

When it comes to TVs it's not about feature bloat. Smaller TVs have basically all of the menu features larger ones do at this point. Samsung offers a smart television for $700 that does everything, feature and gadget-wise, that their $3,000 model does.

When it comes to TVs, what you pay more for is screen size - and, by association, image resolution (since 4K TVs only make sense once you go over 60 inches or bigger) - that $700 TV is 48 inches, but the $3000 TV is 75 inches. If you want a big screen, you pay more money. If you're happier with a smaller screen, you pay less money. Bigger screens have gotten slowly cheaper over the years, but this one factor has never changed, and the price points between various brands have more to do with prestige of certain name brands like Sony (and, these days, increasingly LG) versus less-prestigious brands like Samsung or Panasonic or Sharp, rather than what the TVs actually do featurewise, because they all do the same things, because that's the part that's cheap to put in. Once you have some sort of network connectibility, you can add feature on top of feature for basically pennies, but screen size is always going to be more expensive to add.

Not just screen size, but also contrast ratios, color depth, viewing angles, and number of dimming zones. A cheap large tv may light up as much as half the screen when showing the moon in a dark sky because it cannot limit the light to a small area.

As far as features go, I don't see why anyone cares what about the smart tv crap anyway. You are better off relying on an external device like your blu-ray player, a roku/apple tv, or your receiver than all that crap they put in TVs these days. A Roku costs $100 and 3 or 4 years from now you can buy another one that is faster and better vs. being stuck with the (eventually) outdated system they put in the TV for the next 10 years until you replace the tv.

[edit] Also, I agree with what someone else said. If you can't figure out how to operate a modern TV it might be time to look into moving into a rest home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
He makes some good points overall. I'm a tech geek so I made it a point to "explore" my main TV for a couple of weeks after installing it, but I readily agree that many things are much harder to do than they should be:

http://macdailynews.com/2016/08/03/mossberg-tvs-are-still-to...

Ferret

If TVs were easy to use, all us usability people would have to military jobs instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do these new ones have an easier time reading from a network file share? I had a lot of issues with the early media servers and trying to network share a 1080p file. It was some open source dnca or something server. Was easier to just grab a laptop and connect it through HDMI at the time. Was also supposed to work for both tablets and my ps3 but that was a lark at higher than 720p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always used Plex for my media server.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I have always used Plex for my media server.

I use Plex too. I have the server running on a Synology NAS. I also use a Roku attached to the TV as the client, rather than the TV itself as it works much better. But as a family, we are display agnostic and use phones, tablets, and computers (whether at home or out) and Plex handles it all beautifully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this thread was going to be about Shotguns and TVs.

Would have been more interesting....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can stream Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and CBS onto my TV through my Xbox 360. I don't need a smart TV. I have an old, dumb TV that doesn't do much.

I could figure out a new TV if it was mine but I have a hard time figuring out other people's TVs in the limited amount of time I have with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I can stream Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and CBS onto my TV through my Xbox 360. I don't need a smart TV. I have an old, dumb TV that doesn't do much.

I could figure out a new TV if it was mine but I have a hard time figuring out other people's TVs in the limited amount of time I have with them.

It's not the smart TV software that makes TV's more expensive. The higher price is buying a better display. I use my PS4 for streaming. The $2500 I spent on my TV went towards the glorious OLED display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
SpaceGhost wrote:

Absolutely. Who really, and I mean really, uses every little option on any electronic device? Go back outside and yell at the kids to get off yer gawddamn lawn or something. Sheesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

Absolutely. Who really, and I mean really, uses every little option on any electronic device? Go back outside and yell at the kids to get off yer gawddamn lawn or something. Sheesh.

Yes. I relatively recently got an iphone as part of a deal with the phone company for my wife's benefit. That I use it for little more than making phone calls and receiving them, plus alarms for waking up etc., drives her absolutely buggy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

It's not the smart TV software that makes TV's more expensive. The higher price is buying a better display. I use my PS4 for streaming. The $2500 I spent on my TV went towards the glorious OLED display.

For a while smart TV were more expensive. Then 3d came out and smart TV dropped. Now something g new came out and 3d TV are cheap. It's how it always works.

You mean new tech gets cheaper over time? Huh, no kidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
That I use it for little more than making phone calls and receiving them

that's probably the least use I get out of mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.