Subject: Comment on Game Length rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
I want to mention something about the length of games. I have played this excellent game with about 12 different people over the course of about 20 games. The last few games I played have all been completed in within 30 to 60 minutes. As you become familiar with the rules and some obvious strategies, the game really does roll along.

I highly recommend this game.

P.S. the wins do favor the trade federation by about 55% to 45%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
Re:Comment on Game Length
Chris Tham (#1751),
It can really feel like an action movie!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Tham (#1751),

I would really like to play you. I have only played about 10 games but the Trade Federation only won two of those games (with a LOT of luck). Since each palace card for the Naboo player allows one of the major characters (with better dice) and several palace guards to attack, they always have a good advantage and wipe out a lot of droids. Plus, when droids need to be moved to the palace, that wastes a turn where the Naboo player can still shoot away at the new arrivals. In addition, although one of the two Jedi usually die, in 9 out of 10 games, one of them beat the Darth Maul and went on to terrorize the rest of the palace. In the game that Darth Maul lived, he was so injured that a droid killed him with a lucky shot. The jedi make a HUGE difference in the palace. This is also added to the fact that the Naboo player can jump from floor to floor and the palace is a one-sided battle in most games. Add all of this to the fact that if the little Darth Vader-to-be smashes the control ship, everything becomes a forgone conclusion (this only happened twice). The control ship is a lot of luck. It is either really easy or almost impossible depending on the luck of the die rolls that game. I never try to rely on it when I play as the Naboo. I LOVE the game...it has so much going on and FEELS strategic so I love it. Plus, it is Star Wars. But, I definitely have not seen where the Trade Federation has an advantage. However, I played one game where I only attacked the Naboo player's troops on the battlefield where they emerged from the shield and slaughtered the other player there. I found it to be a liability to step inside the shield. However, I still was outgunned in the palace and lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
DLongo (#18179),

The game favors the Trade Federation in so far as the victory conditions make it difficult for the Naboo Alliance to succeed if the game gets drawn out. Assuming Darth Maul can kill one of the Jedi the Trade Federation needs only kill two of the three major characters in the palace to have a good chance at winning. The palace guards are easy to take out with the unlimited supply of droids that can come from the battle field. Yes, the presence of a Jedi in the palace makes things more difficult but sheer if the game is prolonged because Anakin doesn't destroy the control ship eventually the numbers will favor the Trade Federation.

As for the battlefield, the bonus cards can be invaluable and are one of the main assets for the Trade Federation, due to their relative ease in getting them compared to the Naboo Alliance. Use at two battlefield cards a turn on average and choose the bonus cards from the Theed Palace deck. Venture through the shield to destroy the generators when an opportunity presents itself and have the tanks mow through the opposition to really start racking up the bonuses. These extra card plays later in the game are key to give droids the chance to wipe out remaining palace guards without Jedi interference.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DLongo wrote:
if the little Darth Vader-to-be smashes the control ship, everything becomes a forgone conclusion (this only happened twice). I never try to rely on it when I play as the Naboo.

I can see why you think Naboo has an advantage: you are playing it wrong. The rules state the the Naboo player wins if he has majority in the throne room AND destroys the control ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis (#30419),
But destroying the control ship after the death of Darth Maul pretty much concludes the game right? As long as the Naboo player as at least three characters, that player only has to move them to the Throne Room and voila.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
DjihEf (#36331),

That's right. I've played the rare game where Maul is still alive when the droids are disabled and it is a race between getting the majority and his killing everyone first, but Maul typically has his work cut out for him (pun intended?) at that point.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#36391),
I've posted my first Session for this game (I've also sent on on Risk: LotR Trilogy, but appears to have been lost in the "mail").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montreuil
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I remember, the game ends as soon as the Droid control ship is destroyed. At that point, all the droids are disabled, and if the Naboo player has more live figures in the palace room, then they win.

The only live cahracters that the trade federation has from the beginning of the game are the two trade fed. advisors in the throne room and Darth Maul.

Typically, Maul will die, so the naboo player has to get 3 or more live figures to the throne room. If Maul survives, they need four (if Maul makes it to the throne room in time).

But, the key thing is that the check for victory happens as soon as the droid ship is taken out. If the Naboo figures are not in the throne room, they lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Saamanen
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicmarcus (#36738),
Naboo doesn't lose immediately if there aren't the proper # of units in the throne room.... it becomes a race if Maul is still alive to see if he can cut down enough Naboo characters before they get the majority in the throne room. If at any point, it becomes impossible for them to get the majority in the throne room, it's an automatic loss. Typically, though, in the games that I've played, the Naboo player gets multiple characters into the throne room, and has to wait for Anakin to shut down the control ship, so I've never gotten to this theoretical race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
magicmarcus wrote:
But, the key thing is that the check for victory happens as soon as the droid ship is taken out. If the Naboo figures are not in the throne room, they lose.

This is not correct.

The Trade Federation player wins by killing enough Naboo units in the Palace so that a majority in the throne room is impossible. As soon as this is done the Trade Federation wins.

The Naboo Alliance wins by having a majority in the throne room AND having destoryed all the droids in the game. As soon as these two conditions are met the Naboo Alliance wins.

Therefore it is very possible for the game to continue AFTER the Control Ship has been destroyed. All the droids are gone BUT the Naboo player does not yet have a majority in the throne room AND Darth Maul is still alive so it is possible for the Trade Federation player to still kill enough Naboo units to make the majority impossible. Until one or the other conditions is met the game continues.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#36764),
Yup, that's how I understood the ending conditions. (The ones for Blue Moon were more troublesome...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
OK, as for game length (which was the original topic of this thread); what about it?

Is this a 4-5 hours mauler or is it a 1 hour game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not many rules issues, so it shouldn't really take more than 2 hours, unless people suffer from major case of analysis paralysis. And even then, probably wouldn't take 2h.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.