Subject: Supply, Copenhagen and the Danish Ferry question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Fernback
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
In the rules it says that Copenhagen can be a supply source for either side if it is friendly controlled. But, in the terrain effects chart it states that the Danish Ferry link between the island Copenhagen is on and the rest of Denmark is cut the first time a WP unit enters either side of the Ferry?

So, does the supply line from Copenhagen cease to reach anywhere other than it's island if a WP player takes control but steps a unit on either ferry hex?

And does the Danish Ferry actually connect a supply line from Copenhagen to the rest of Denmark in the first place for the Nato player, before it is lost?

Finally, if supply can be traced across the Ferry. I guess the only way the WP player could use the supply line is to make sure they don't step on the Ferry hexes??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonF wrote:
In the rules it says that Copenhagen can be a supply source for either side if it is friendly controlled. But, in the terrain effects chart it states that the Danish Ferry link between the island Copenhagen is on and the rest of Denmark is cut the first time a WP unit enters either side of the Ferry?

So, does the supply line from Copenhagen cease to reach anywhere other than it's island if a WP player takes control but steps a unit on either ferry hex?

And does the Danish Ferry actually connect a supply line from Copenhagen to the rest of Denmark in the first place for the Nato player, before it is lost?

Finally, if supply can be traced across the Ferry. I guess the only way the WP player could use the supply line is to make sure they don't step on the Ferry hexes??

If you look at the Supply rules, the only restrictions to tracing supply are that the supply path 1) not go through "an all-sea hex" and 2) it doesn't go "through a blocked hexside".

Hex 1513-1514 are neither of these. They are "coastal hexes" not "all sea hexes" and they are not blocked. Therefore, it would appear that supply could be traced across them whether the ferry was destroyed or not.

I wasn't a fan of this interpretation until I took a closer look at the map around Denmark. If you notice, there are several coastal hexes which are also "blocked hexsides" (e.g. 1616-1717). If supply were not allowed across coastal hexes, then there would be no need to specifically annotate these hexes as blocked. But since they are blocked, it appears that the designers did this specifically to prevent coastal supply at these locations.

My interpretation would be that since the designers did not block the hexside between 1514 and 1513 they intended supply to flow through this coastal hex irrespective of the status of the ferry.

I would also point out that supply could go through 1414-1413 to reach Copenhagen. But not 1714-1713.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fernback
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking supply couldn't go anywhere a unit could not, but in the rules that's not exactly the case.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seem an affaire of "rules lawyers"... An extrict interpretation of the rules means that both of you say, but maybe the supply rule (101) must also forbide tracing supply lines across Sea Hexides (All Sea or Coastal).
With the original rules it's difficult to understand why, in the example, you can trace a supply line between 1413 and 1414, but a unit can't move across, or why there is a bridge between 1416-1417 of you can trace supply also across 1517-1518 or 1416-1317.

I suspect that the object of Blocked hexides (and Bridge hex/ Hexides) is only to clarify where you can (or can not) move or trace supply across a body of water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.