Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Help me out here. I'm going back and forth for a week now of which of the games to purchase. (I know some smart*ss will say "buy both" but that ain't happening right now.) Okay, back to the dilemma. Both have great many pros and not many cons. Pricing is close enough not to be a primary issue. It's become a tough choice.

Basically is comes down to faster play dice game or longer play euro-placement. (Which cam be tedious to a fault but that's another topic.)
I primarily play solo or 2 players and rarely have the time spend hours to play a session. Expedition offers solo while Discoveries has a variant.

Do you own both games? If so, post your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Expedition. It plays wonderfully with two players. Once the players are familiar with the game, it plays in around 60-90 minutes for two.

Discoveries is quite fun, but it is really no substitute
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played discoveries, but I'll echo that L&C plays great with 2, that is also how I primarily play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah I've played both and with two players you've got to go with Expeditions.

Discoveries is better with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mb
Given what you've said, it's a difficult choice. Discoveries is both the better and the considerably shorter game; however, L&C:The Expedition gives the much better solitaire experience, and the solo game plays in about the same time as Discoveries or less. L&C isn't bad with two players, but it's at its best with three. Discoveries is good at any player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your maximum is 2p, I think you should play L&C. It runs very smooth with two players (although I agree with Andrew when he says its best is with 3p), and the solitaire version is good.
Discoveries is also a good game but (for me) it's not its best with only 2players as it can be L&C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both.

Lewis & Clark is one of my favourite games. My first play was with 5 (not recommended) and I've played it with all player counts. I'm partial to playing with 3 or 4 but I've mostly played solo. It is a terrific, thoughtful hand/resource management game. With two players I don't think AP and downtime will be as much of a problem an issue in a 2p game. There is so much great art in his game m

Discoveries is a fine game. It is much lighter with some nice engine building and, potentially, a little "take that" as you reclaim some of your dice that others have recruited m

Lewis & Clark was the first "heavier" game I purchased and don't regret it at all. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hated Discoveries. One of the few games I've gone to the effort of selling here on the Geek. Huge Lewis & Clark fan, however.

Discoveries with two isn't nearly as good as Lewis & Clark at that number.

ed: What didn't I like about Discoveries? It has been too long since I last played to give a detailed deconstruction of my concerns. However, it really boiled down to variance between games and the level of excitement inherent to the turn actions (low on both counts).

There is a lot of variety in the Native Americans that come out, and these act as variable player powers when recruited, but the variety is a bit of an illusion as they're just slight tweaks on similar themes. I could play two games and have different abilities on paper, but the upshot felt the same in my group. Additionally, the per turn accomplishments were minuscule, and never felt really like I was achieving anything rewarding.

Shame, as I love these designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good but Lewis & Clark has more "meat". It takes 20-30 minutes per player.

I have played and enjoyed both with 2 or more players (I have never tried Lewis & Clark in solo).

And, for me, Lewis & Clark is perfectly fine with 3, 4 or 5 as long as you have 30 minutes/player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing more about your preferences, or the preferences of your usual #2, this is more difficult to answer.

I think that Lewis & Clark is the better game, but I personally find it to be a bit of a slog. It does, however, offer some neat variability on the terrain and a solo option that Discoveries does not. Definitely "more game for your buck" in this one.

Discoveries is great and fast and I think it plays fine with two. The dice-stealing is implemented fantastically. However, it's more like pulling out Lost Cities or something like that - you're gonna get pretty much the same game every time with some interesting decisions but nothing really to write home about.

If you play solo often and like heavy meat in your 2p games, go with L&C. If you want a lighter, breezier game that has a little bite to it, go with Discoveries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mb
Xahendir wrote:
Lewis & Clark is perfectly fine with 3, 4 or 5 as long as you have 30 minutes/player.

The game really drags with five, and it's difficult to maintain a strategy, given how different the board and card situation is by the time your turn rolls around again. Of course, if you prefer tactics over strategy, then my latter comment wouldn't be a hindrance for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and if you play with only 1 or 2 players I can see it being a hard call. For me I can only play expedition solo because my fist play was 5 players and that was a bad idea and now nobody else will play it with me.
Discoveries however was my favorite game of 2015 and my wife likes it too. So I have never had to play it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay... Thank you all for the great input. I decided to go with L & C The Expedition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
Lewis & Clark is perfectly fine with 3, 4 or 5 as long as you have 30 minutes/player.

The game really drags with five, and it's difficult to maintain a strategy, given how different the board and card situation is by the time your turn rolls around again. Of course, if you prefer tactics over strategy, then my latter comment wouldn't be a hindrance for you.

Well ... I have difficulties to create and maintain a strategy but either I have never identified it as a player count problem ... or I have never seen the problem in seeing your strategy endangered because of what other players have done.

But I must confess that I'm quite bad at this game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
I love L&C. Its mechanic is unique and very rewarding, even for a racing game (which I do not really like). But it plays quite long and if you have to explain to new players, it takes another 30 minutes.

And about Discoveries, it's also a good one.
I own both of the games and really like them. Discoveries in other hand, leans on the lighter side, as a dice game. So it plays faster.
It also good with 2P. The dice mechanic is smooth and simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.