Subject: A Quinn Martin Production* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
* A slightly misleading post name, since not all of these are Quinn Martin productions...

You couldn't turn on your TV set after 7:00pm in the 1970s without finding some sort of Cop show or Private Detective show being on.
A lot of the shows were so popular that they lasted into the 1980s, also spawning numerous spin-offs of supporting characters, and made-for-TV movies.

First, here's a little "matching" quiz for you.
The first column contains the name of the show and the second column has one or two names of recurring characters on the various shows, but they are not in the correct order. Match 'em up!
Warning-- unless you are a lucky guesser, you will have a hard time with some of these. It was 40 or so years ago, mind you, but if you were a TV addict in the '70s then you should be able to match up at least a few of them.

Answers:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1- d, 2- f, 3- h, 4- a, 5- c, 6- g, 7- e, 8- b

I've added three more shows to the mix, from this point on-- there weren't enough memorable or recurring characters in Cannon, CHiPs, or Columbo to be included in the matching quiz above.

Poll
There can only be one of these as your favorite show. So is it...?
Baretta
Cannon
CHiPs
Columbo
Hawaii Five-O
Kojak
Mannix
McCloud
Police Woman
The Rockford Files
Starsky and Hutch
      37 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Final quiz-- using the 11 show names, & order, in the poll above, name the actor(s)/ actress who starred as that character.
I'll hide the answers in this spoiler:

Baretta- Robert Blake
Cannon- William Conrad
CHiPs- Larry Wilcox, Erik Estrada, Robert Pine
Columbo- Peter Falk
Hawaii Five-O- Jack Lord
Kojak- Telly Savalas
Mannix- Mike Connors
McCloud- Dennis Weaver
Police Woman- Angie Dickenson
The Rockford Files- James Garner
Starsky and Hutch- Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul

You'll likely notice some ommisions-- Charlie's Angels and Barnaby Jones (a spin-off from Cannon, as was Richie Brockelman Private Eye a spin-off from The Rockford Files) for instance, and technically even Barney Miller is a '70s cop show.
What other '70s shows, that you liked, could I have included?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SHUT IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Baretta = Robert Blake, Cannon = ?, CHiPs = Eric Estrada + ?, Columbo = Peter Falk, Hawaii Five-O = Jack Lord + ?, Kojak = Telly Savalas, Mannix = ?, McCloud = ?, Police Woman = Angie Dickinson, The Rockford Files = James Garner, Starsky & Hutch = David Soul + ?

MABBY wrote:

Well, The Sweeney, obviously...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Baretta = Robert Blake, Cannon = ?, CHiPs = Eric Estrada + ?, Columbo = Peter Falk, Hawaii Five-O = Jack Lord + ?, Kojak = Telly Savalas, Mannix = ?, McCloud = ?, Police Woman = Angie Dickinson, The Rockford Files = James Garner, Starsky & Hutch = David Soul + ?

MABBY wrote:

Well, The Sweeney, obviously...

SHUT IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

You'll likely notice some ommisions-- Charlie's Angels and Barnaby Jones (a spin-off from Cannon, as was Richie Brockelman Private Eye a spin-off from The Rockford Files) for instance, and technically even Barney Miller is a '70s cop show.

You got Columbo and McCloud, but the other members of the NBC Mystery Movie crowd were left out. How could you forget McMillan & Wife? (Looking the series up in Wikipedia, I was surprised that I didn't realize Quincy also got its start in the mystery movie wheel.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
How could you forget McMillan & Wife? (Looking the series up in Wikipedia, I was surprised that I didn't realize Quincy also got its start in the mystery movie wheel.)

McMillan & Wife would have been a good one.
I loved watching Quincy. I probably would have had to vote for that instead of Rockford Files if it had been on my poll.

You know, I saw a Rockford Files not that long ago, and I know that his character didn't used to like to fight, but every time there was about to be violence-- a gun going off or a fistfight-- the camera went to the other room instead of showing it.
It is off-putting now; but I never noticed it as a kid, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
MABBY wrote:
jbrecken wrote:
How could you forget McMillan & Wife? (Looking the series up in Wikipedia, I was surprised that I didn't realize Quincy also got its start in the mystery movie wheel.)

McMillan & Wife would have been a good one.
I loved watching Quincy. I probably would have had to vote for that instead of Rockford Files if it had been on my poll.

You know, I saw a Rockford Files not that long ago, and I know that his character didn't used to like to fight, but every time there was about to be violence-- a gun going off or a fistfight-- the camera went to the other room instead of showing it.
It is off-putting now; but I never noticed it as a kid, of course.

Same here. Quincy...I selected Rockford Files, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The Patriots engineer the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history and give Brady and Belichek their fifth championship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the formula eventually wore thin, I voted for Colombo. Peter Falk was a brilliant actor, who almost always stole the show in any movie he was in. Had you included McMillan & Wife, I would have been tempted to vote for it. The shows were very enjoyable and my teenage self had a bit of a crush on Susan Saint James (definitely assisted by that football jersey!). I didn't care for McCloud, but the other two thirds of the NBC Mystery Movie were big favorites of mine. I also enjoyed Hawaii Five-O, Mannix, and Rockford Files, although for some reason I rarely watched the last of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking on it some more, I was also a fan of Ellery Queen's gimmick, where he'd turn to the camera and say, "I have enough clues to figure out the mystery, do you?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
MABBY wrote:

You got Columbo and McCloud, but the other members of the NBC Mystery Movie crowd were left out. How could you forget McMillan & Wife? (Looking the series up in Wikipedia, I was surprised that I didn't realize Quincy also got its start in the mystery movie wheel.)

Am I the only one who remembers Richard Boone as Hec Ramsey?

Anyway, one of my 70's favs:

Awesome theme music! It's where Robert Urich got his start (before Vegas and Spencer: For Hire), but even though I liked him, I always wanted to be TJ (the team sniper) because he always got to climb up on the highest places and he wore his cap backwards. Too cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorites was Banacek starring George Peppard. Instead of murders Banacek investigated insurance claims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
Shows I remember watching with my parents during the '70s. Although I don't recall much about the individual episodes, certain aspects have always stuck with me.

Petrocelli - lawyer can't finish building his house due to pesky clients turning up and demanding he do some lawyering.

Dixon of Dock Green - zombie* plod solves crimes involving stolen crumpets and giving scamps a clip round the ear.

Alias Smith and Jones - western caper involving some improbable amnesty program. I was about 5 when we watched this, and I'd gotten it into my head that one of the characters was called 'Alias' (as in Alias, Smith and Jones) and would constantly ask when he was going to show up in an episode. My parents just gave up trying to explain in the end.

*The title character, George Dixon, was killed in his first appearance the film The Blue Lamp. The BBC didn't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MFinch wrote:
Dixon of Dock Green - zombie* plod solves crimes involving stolen crumpets and giving scamps a clip round the ear.

I don't know that one, but you say "zombie" and immediately a show comes to my mind: Kolchak: The Night Stalker.
Seriously creepy show when you're 13 years old (1974-75; 20 episodes), yet entertaining enough that I didn't get nightmares after the succubus, or the reenacted Aztec ritual killing at the Chicago hockey arena, or the hunt for the werewolf with a silver bullet, or the vampire chase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
"CHiPs" could have had Sgt. Getraer, Artie Grossman ("Grossie"), Barry Baricza ("Bear"), Bonnie Clark, and/or Harlan (the mechanic) as recurring characters.

You missed "Adam-12" (though it started in the late 60's), "Banacek," "Dan August," "The Mod Squad," and "The Streets of San Francisco." I even remember an Ellery Queen series.

Also, a short-lived police series was one "Chopper One," about a police helicopter unit. This show introduced us to a young actor named Dirk Benedict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Soap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
SHUT IT!

GET YER TRARZZERS ON!

Petrocelli.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.