Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the planning stages for a week-long trip around Columbus Day to go to the above places, and I'm looking for suggestions of board game stores my partner and I should check out, or other off-the-wall stuff we should see.

For Columbus, I want to time the trip so I can stop in at a Friday night CABS session. I've never been to Origins, and I'd never heard of CABS before researching this trip, so I'm not all that familiar with them. Would it be weird for a couple of out of town folks to come to a Friday night? Is their full 700+ title library available for play?

I'm specifically looking for interesting things to do in Cincinnati on a Saturday, or just about anything in Louisville on a Sunday (I see Cardhaus' retail location is there, but that's about it). I also collect 1980's Transformers, so stores that have old toys are also great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest going to Yellow Springs, OH. I can't promise they'll have Transformers and the like, but it's a neat city that is unique in its own way. They do have a comic shop that may have some of what you're interested in, but the city itself is pretty unique. (not to mention, they have a sunflower field that blooms sometime in September).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kendrick
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
For Louisville,

I would recommend Heros Gaming and Comics (http://www.heroescg.com/) and Louisville Game Shop (http://www.thelouisvillegameshop.com/).

As for off the wall stuff there are a couple really nice Bourbon distillery tours in town. Along with louisville slugger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan LaPointe
United States
New Albany
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should absolutely come to CABS. Your first meeting is always free to attend and with the exception of a few games that have been checked out and taken home by members the entire library is available. We always try to have a CABS "veteran" near the door to greet new folks and show them the ropes and most nights we have a local food truck on site.

Hope to see you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CABS is great for an evening of playing games. Friday October 7 and Saturday October 15 are the meetings closest to Columbus Day.

There are 4 or 5 game stores in Columbus, scattered around all over the place. I don't have a favorite myself so I'd say just do an online search and hit whichever one is convenient to your route through the city.

Toys - I'm not in the toy "loop". Columbus gets several toy fairs throughout the year but mid-October looks dead.

But, if you take Warren's advice about visiting Yellow Springs, the route from Columbus to Yellow Springs can take you down I-70 through Springfield, which has several very large antique stores/flea markets. I know I've seen lots of toys and related stuff when I've visited them. And there are a couple of huge flea markets just a bit north of Cincinnati. Search for "Caesar's Creek" and "Treasure Aisles" in the Mason, OH area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be hitting Columbus on October 7. What time does the CABS meeting usually run?

Not sure about a detour through Yellow Springs, as I'm now thinking about heading down to Mammoth Caves National Park for a Sunday morning tour. That'll mean driving from Columbus on Saturday, through Cincinnati, and getting to around Mammoth Saturday night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nuttyturnip wrote:
I'd be hitting Columbus on October 7. What time does the CABS meeting usually run?

Not sure about a detour through Yellow Springs, as I'm now thinking about heading down to Mammoth Caves National Park for a Sunday morning tour. That'll mean driving from Columbus on Saturday, through Cincinnati, and getting to around Mammoth Saturday night.

Well, there's no shortage of places to see and things to do. If you enjoy this trip, then you will know there are more things to do when you come back!

A Friday CABS meeting generally starts around 3:00 p.m. with a very light crowd (just 4-5 people is not unusual for the first hour or two), heats up around 6 p.m. as people arrive after work, and starts winding down about midnight - but will stay open much later if there are people who are into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestions?

When you see that "Welcome to Indiana" sign, speed up. Don't slow down until you see the "Now leaving Indiana" sign.

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vliam wrote:
Suggestions?

When you see that "Welcome to Indiana" sign, speed up. Don't slow down until you see the "Now leaving Indiana" sign.

You're welcome.

Aww, I went to a wedding in northern Indiana years ago, and it seemed nice enough. I grew up in North Carolina, so I'm used to backwards country folk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second about CABS, but it is a good sized group. I think a mistake that is commonly made is to go there and (naturally) not say too much to people and hope that the group will approach you.

And some will.

But it's a good group of people for the few times I was able to make it there and a little bit of being outgoing to the point of simply introducing yourself and asking people if they want to play will go a LONG way. Good luck with your trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
I'll second about CABS, but it is a good sized group. I think a mistake that is commonly made is to go there and (naturally) not say too much to people and hope that the group will approach you.

And some will.

But it's a good group of people for the few times I was able to make it there and a little bit of being outgoing to the point of simply introducing yourself and asking people if they want to play will go a LONG way. Good luck with your trip!

It makes me sound terrible, but since there's two of us, we're usually happier trying out new games on our own rather than engaging with a group of strangers. If someone approaches and wants to play, that's cool, but we're perfectly fine doing our own thing, as long as the rest of the folks there don't think we're being anti-social.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Indianapolis, you definitely have to check out Family Time Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
In Indianapolis, you definitely have to check out Family Time Games!

I'll second that! Amazing store with amazing husband-and-wife owners:

https://www.facebook.com/FTGINDY/home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
In Columbus you will find the following game stores:

The Soldiery

Beyond the Board

The Guardtower

Each has a good selection of games and a playing area. Beyond the Board has open games that you can demo and, depending on who is working, someone will teach a game to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
No one has spoken up about Cincinnati yet. I am still relatively new and don't yet consider Cincinnati "home," but I want to stick up for the city just the same.

There's a good game store in Mason, OH (Game Swap) that has a meetup group there on Saturdays.

If you're looking for non-game things in Cincy, there's a lot to do. What type of things do you like? The Old West Festival (about 45 minutes or so north of Cincy) has its beer festival that weekend. The Renaissance Festival is still going that weekend. There are a number of wonderful museums in the area and the River front (known as The Banks around here) is a really nice area to walk around, run through a fountain or relax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Rigaud
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slfillingham wrote:
No one has spoken up about Cincinnati yet. I am still relatively new and don't yet consider Cincinnati "home," but I want to stick up for the city just the same.

There's a good game store in Mason, OH (Game Swap) that has a meetup group there on Saturdays.

If you're looking for non-game things in Cincy, there's a lot to do. What type of things do you like? The Old West Festival (about 45 minutes or so north of Cincy) has its beer festival that weekend. The Renaissance Festival is still going that weekend. There are a number of wonderful museums in the area and the River front (known as The Banks around here) is a really nice area to walk around, run through a fountain or relax.

I am also relatively new to Cincy, but I would add that a board game parlor opened up in Over-the-Rhine (one of the neighbors in downtown; known as OTR) called The Rook. I will admit that I have never been to a board game parlor/bar before but I think that they have done a wonderful job with it. The whole OTR area has gone through drastic and positive renovations over the past few years, so it's a great place to walk around, shop, and get drinks. Here are links to The Rook hype video and webpage:

https://vimeo.com/167300009
therookotr.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoAnna Spring
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I don't know about game stores in Cincy (I live in Indiana - we're not all terrible), but Jungle Jim's is an experience that could change your life. We make an annual trip for beer and a variety of international foods.

And I'll triple the rec for Family Time Games on the north side of Indy. They're very welcoming and have a large library and lots of tables for play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sweeney
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When on a road trip, I like to use the Wizards Store Finder to see if there are any neat shops on my path. Doesn't catch all of them, but it hits most of them. Make sure to follow through and check their FB to make sure things like store hours, continued existence, etc.

I haven't been since they moved from Fort Wayne to Indy, but The Toy Pit (http://www.yourtoypit.com/) had a good selection of varied toy and action figure collectibles. If you end up on the northeast side of Indy, worth thinking about.

Has anyone been into the new Australian chain downtown? http://www.goodgames.com.au/stores/usa.html

Heard some interesting things about Game Paradise (http://www.gameparadisestore.com/). Any local opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Paradise is great if you want a huge games library from your mom's attic....

J/K. It's an okay place. Huge game library (biggest I've ever seen), but a lot of the games are mass market games from the late 80s early 90s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
https://arkencounter.com

Take your favorite Noah's Ark themed game and play it on board a life size ark. Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have limited travel experience (Louisville and St. Louis many years ago.) But I'd give a big thumbs up to CABS for the quality of people I "talk" to on ConsimWorld. Get some directions and parking and dining possibilities and it should be a treat.

(Just remember, it's THE Ohio State University.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.