Subject: 3 Player Experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We sat down as veteran gamers, three at the table. Randomly selected we ended up with the Purebreeds, The Inventions, and the Troglydytes.

In the first age, expansion reigned supreme, the Inventions holding a good majority of the map. The Troglydytes struggled to find footing and met conflict with the dastardly Inventions quickly. The Purebreeds spread but realized they had very little access to sorcery. They utilized the the first few spymaster actions to even that score and gain some IPs, as the Pact with Demons deemed itself oh so tempting.

By the end of the first age a few discoveries were on the board, the Inventions had somehow discovered religion, while the Purebreeds and made their pact with Demons. The Troglydytes were amassing espionage and filling the court with their spies.

The middle age, brought about conflict on all fronts biting and gnawing at each other the three great races fought for each piece of land, no clear victor emerged. The Purebreeds had lost their operative, a severe blow inflicted by the clever & dastardly Inventions. The Troglydytes had secured a catapult to launch at the Inventions, and utilized their Espionage against both of the others to keep them at bay.

By the late age, discoveries abounded on the board, attrition from combat had left the northern half of the map a barren wasteland of bodies and steam machine parts. The Troglydytes and Inventions fought bitterly over a nexus that contained the discovery catapult. In the end all were destroyed leaving it barren as well. The Purebreeds developed technology and with it had bolstered their ability to play Espionage cards. Using every trick they could, they kept the Inventions and Troglydytes from imposing their reign on the land. Soon they were in position to gain both the Guardian and the coveted discovery Transmuation.

Final turn, the Guardian slammed down onto the map defying anyone to strike him. The Leviathan was summoned in the war between the Inventions and the Troglydytes and ate all of the unsuspecting Troglydytes around their precious Catapult. On the following turn retaliation by the Troglydytes proved swift but only to amount in scorched earth as no one remained to control the coveted spot. The catapult would stand empty and abandoned a testament to a war torn land. Transmuation was grabbed by the Purebreeds in a final attempt to even out the scoreboard.

Finale! The Purebreeds walked away the victor of this scorched earth, but only their southern kingdom remained. The Troglydytes had been contained by the Inventions the entire game and their beloved Nexus was lost to war... The Inventions, had also lost their entire northern kingdom due to a key catapult strike and attack by both the Troglydytes and the Purebreeds. Transmutation proved the key discovery and launched the Purebreeds into a winning score with nary an opponent to be seen.

Game time: 1.5 hours
Players: 3

AAR: We enjoyed the game, it needs to be played more and with more players before writing a review, but everyone wants to try it again. Once we had learned how to play turns went rather quickly, and simultaneous movement eliminates nearly all the AP. More plays will decide where it rates, but for now it's a "Play again!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a friend who says (and he is right) that this is a 2 player game that added more players to help add sales.

That said, he goes on to claim that in a 3 player game the 2 players that fight will lose to the player who didn't join the combat. I'm curious if that has been your experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We only have one game under our belts. That said, all three were involved in conflict, the one who was least involved came in second.

Its also highly random. I mean if there are discoveries on the board that award multiple VPs or locations (Nexus + Discovery) that can be secured or even VPs awarded for combat, those people can come out on top.

I think the blanket statement that the two most involved in combat does apply to most games, I'm not sure it does here. But again... need more plays.

Also, I never felt like this was a 2-player game modified. I think a full 5 player game would be quite a bit different than 3, and 2 plays entirely different than 3. So I don't agree with that statement really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
So I have a friend who says (and he is right) that this is a 2 player game that added more players to help add sales.

That said, he goes on to claim that in a 3 player game the 2 players that fight will lose to the player who didn't join the combat. I'm curious if that has been your experience.

I don't see how can be described as a "2 player game that added more players to help sales" in any meaningful way.

And yes, that's correct. But that's probably correct about most 3 player games with direct conflict. In a most 4 player games, if 1 player managed to isolate themselves from similar aggression, they'd probably win too. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the first game I played, which was 2-player neither of us wanted to commit to a battle we couldn't win, so both ended up building 2 large walls of units in the centre of the map.

In the later rounds we realized, losing units in battles is vitally important, we had few units we could deploy in other more important locations on the map; they were all tied up in our war of attrition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:
I remember the first game I played, which was 2-player neither of us wanted to commit to a battle we couldn't win, so both ended up building 2 large walls of units in the centre of the map.

In the later rounds we realized, losing units in battles is vitally important, we had few units we could deploy in other more important locations on the map; they were all tied up in our war of attrition.

Bingo. Turtling lots of units is NOT a good strategy in this game. Figuring out ways to get a worker advantage (kill more of your opponents workers than you lose) is much more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.