United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb

Credit to Darksbane from the FFG community site: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/226639-info-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McFarland
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
Awesome!

The first thing I think I'm noticing is that 30 points is the only restriction on building characters (besides only one unique and such). So a customized deck can have more than two characters in play, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McCarthy
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
blkdymnd wrote:
Awesome!

The first thing I think I'm noticing is that 30 points is the only restriction on building characters (besides only one unique and such). So a customized deck can have more than two characters in play, yes?

You totally can.

This game seems like a slam dunk. Super streamlined but tons of options on your turn and for customising. Limit of 2 of each card per deck was what I was expecting but it was a relief. Helps with the blind buy as well as the small deck size. I love how you can selective Mulligan every turn but you lose if you're out of cards. These games are going to be lightning fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McCarthy
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Also has anyone noticed that this is called a Dice Duel System? I imagine that is this game is even moderately successful that game of thrones would be the next likely choice of the ips they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun. The way you roll dice then activate all of one symbol reminds me of combat in Runebound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
adamxpaul wrote:
This sounds fun. The way you roll dice then activate all of one symbol reminds me of combat in Runebound.

You can resolve any of the dice showing the symbol, and all the effects seem to state they apply to any character - singular. That means, I imagine, if you rolled 2M(elee), 2M, 2M and had one person you could finish off with 2M, you'd be spending the 2M one turn and killing them. You would have to spend the 4M on another turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexhai wrote:
adamxpaul wrote:

You can resolve any of the dice showing the symbol, and all the effects seem to state they apply to any character - singular. That means, I imagine, if you rolled 2M(elee), 2M, 2M and had one person you could finish off with 2M, you'd be spending the 2M one turn and killing them. You would have to spend the 4M on another turn.

That is exactly how I read it, but watching a YouTube recording of a GenCon demo, I think they might have played it slightly differently. Might be the demo guy's mistake though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonSilvarro wrote:
Jexhai wrote:
adamxpaul wrote:

That is exactly how I read it, but watching a YouTube recording of a GenCon demo, I think they might have played it slightly differently. Might be the demo guy's mistake though.

I don't see where you are getting this. The rules say that the Resolve Your Dice action is that "You may resolve any number of dice in your pool that have the same symbol, one at a time." Yes, you resolve each die separately and -- in the case of damage -- apply it to a single character, but if you have multiple melee damage effects, you get to resolve all of them as a single action.

The "one at a time" and "to a single character" means that if you have a 2-damage melee die and a 3-damage melee die, you can't choose to resolve the 2-damage by putting 1 damage on a character that's one damage point away from being defeated and the other on a different character. Instead, you'll have to resolve your 2-damage to defeat that character, spending an excess damage, and then resolve the 3-damage to damage another character. You could also choose to put 3 on a character and then 2 more on that same character. Each die allows you to choose your target, and just because you damaged a character, doesn't prevent you from damaging it with a different die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven T
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:

I don't see where you are getting this. The rules say that the Resolve Your Dice action is that "You may resolve any number of dice in your pool that have the same symbol, one at a time." Yes, you resolve each die separately and -- in the case of damage -- apply it to a single character, but if you have multiple melee damage effects, you get to resolve all of them as a single action.

The "one at a time" and "to a single character" means that if you have a 2-damage melee die and a 3-damage melee die, you can't choose to resolve the 2-damage by putting 1 damage on a character that's one damage point away from being defeated and the other on a different character. Instead, you'll have to resolve your 2-damage to defeat that character, spending an excess damage, and then resolve the 3-damage to damage another character. You could also choose to put 3 on a character and then 2 more on that same character. Each die allows you to choose your target, and just because you damaged a character, doesn't prevent you from damaging it with a different die.

Do I understand rightly that you can also only use one die and end your action (to keep dice and hence actions and hence options for later in the round)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Severon wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:

Do I understand rightly that you can also only use one die and end your action (to keep dice and hence actions and hence options for later in the round)?

During the demo games you could not do this. If you had multiple dice with the same symbol they all had to be activated at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
During the demo games you could not do this. If you had multiple dice with the same symbol they all had to be activated at the same time.

This is true. There is kind of a work-around though if you want to split up some damage. You can 'activate' 1 character to roll their dice and get a few ranged damage symbols for example, then next action spend all of your ranged damage symbols to hurt opponent's characters. Then next action 'activate' your other character which may end up with ranged damage that you spend later in the round.

There will be some subtle strategy things like this with the open action round format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Accident Gamer
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I would like it if someone could clarify 2 rules for me:

The rules say "You may resolve any number of dice in your pool that have the same symbol, one at a time."

Later in the rules it also says "Damage from a die, or a die resolved with modifiers, must be dealt to a single character."

Let's say I have Kylo Ren 2-diced with a lightsaber whom I activated last turn and got the following rolls:

Kylo: 1M, 2M(cost 1)
Lightsaber: +2M

Are these 2 moves valid?

-I activate Kylo's [1m] only and do 1 damage to Rey and then end my action (saving the other 2 die for another turn)

-I activate Kylo's [1m] and modify it with Lightsaber's [+2m] to do 3 damage to Rey, then I activate Kylo's [2m] and spending a credit to do 2 damage to Finn in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acc1dent wrote:
-I activate Kylo's [1m] only and do 1 damage to Rey and then end my action (saving the other 2 die for another turn)

-I activate Kylo's [1m] and modify it with Lightsaber's [+2m] to do 3 damage to Rey, then I activate Kylo's [2m] and spending a credit to do 2 damage to Finn in the same turn.

At the demo, they told me no for your first question. You have to spend all of a type at once.

For your second question, this I'm a bit unsure of as well. I think you can split up where the different dice go, but 1 demo person told me I couldn't and the other said I could. The rules make it sound like it's valid though.

I wouldn't take any answers from the demo seriously at this point though as some of the demo people definitely got some things wrong as they were teaching us.

EDIT- I just saw this while looking through this thread again, and after seeing the rulesheet I believe both of your examples are legal. I think the demo people just got some of this wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven T
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
should this threat not be moved to the rules section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Hoopes
United States
Clinton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed before seeing the rules sheet that by the rules one side would play with hero characters and the other side with villain characters. Looking at the rules sheet now, while it does say you can't mix heroes/villains characters in your build, I don't see anywhere in the rules that wouldn't allow both players to have heroes characters or for both players to have villain characters. All the previous Star Wars card games I have played required one player to play as the light side (heroes) and the other to play as the dark side (villains). I would assume people would often play heroes vs. villains, but is it not required by the rules? Did I miss that somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't miss anything, you can play light vs light or dark vs dark. You can even have the same heroes so Rey vs Rey is perfectly legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
You can even have the same heroes so Rey vs Rey is perfectly legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Z
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Darksbane.....another SW dice game has pulled you in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jzwink wrote:
Oh Darksbane.....another SW dice game has pulled you in!

Star Wars *check*
Big Chunky Dice *check*
Deck Building *check*

yeah there was never any hope for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.