Popular Tags: [View All]
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I am looking at getting a single player game which could support atleast another player in any capacity (co-op or vs modes).

I have looked at single player games that interest me a lot, Robinson Crusoe and Mage Knight, but there is no way I can spend 2+ hours to finish a game.

As I am big on LOTR, LCG fits very well in that capacity. Can LCG missions as a single player finish within this time frame. Or do they take too long?

Friday is another game that I know fits within the time frame above but games like LCG interest me more.

Advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Another game that may fit the bill is Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game but the time constraint question is still there.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game takes about 40 minutes, less if you know it well, or die quickly.

Shadowrun: Crossfire is another good one, similar to warhammer but different enough I enjoy both.

Friday is on the lighter side, but a good solo that plays quick and is inexpensive to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-to for solo gaming is either Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game or any of the LEgendary Encounters games. They're fun both solo or with up to 4 other players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and welcome to bgg - come by the 1 Player guild and say hello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good single player games that can be played in <45 minutes:
Friday
Onirim (second edition)
Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp
Gem Rush

LOTR LCG is great, and I imagine you could (typically) play a mission in the allocated time length. It sort of depends on the mission and how well / poorly you do. I've lost missions in 5 minutes, and I've had missions take an hour. Really just depends.

Note that most of the games above are exclusively singleplayer (Onirim supports two, Gem Rush supports more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grizzled is a co-op that runs within that time frame, although you do need to get the expansion set, The Grizzled: At Your Orders!, in order to get a few chits for proper solo play. (However, these could be easily made by hand, and there's only 4 of them.)

I also recommend Flash Point: Fire Rescue, a really solid little co-op that can be played solo without any modifications, as well as Tavarua, which is brand new to the market, but offers a fun surfing theme. I think any of these three will fit the parameters you're looking for.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give a big +1 to Onirim here as it supports a second player in co-op very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
msg tools
mbmbmb
fistfullofbeer wrote:
As I am big on LOTR, LCG fits very well in that capacity. Can LCG missions as a single player finish within this time frame. Or do they take too long?

Some missions take longer than others but they are pretty short. That said, part of the fun of the game is constructing your deck to fit the quest at hand, which can take as much or as little time outside the game as you want it to.

The tried-and-true Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is a staple of playing solitaire for me, and it supports more people too, although I've never played it with anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Team D20 wrote:
I would give a big +1 to Onirim here as it supports a second player in co-op very well.

Onirim is something I had looked at but it appears to be out of stock in most places. I will keep an eye on it though when it comes back in stock.

Right now, Warhammer seems to seem the most attractive option. More so because it does not require much time preparing the deck. Seems like while that is part of the fun of LCG, it will take more time. The Grizzled appears to be an interesting option as well.

Thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
If I were to buy the base LCG game and 1 expansion that would support Single Player better, which expansion would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Panic is the best of the Panic series of games that are out. The difference between 1 player and more players isn't that much, which may be good or bad for your needs.

You can definitely finish in 45 minutes. Because the game is survival, you can actually tailor the length by removing some of the threats or playing scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's the top results from a search:

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Space Alert
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Ingenious
Ginkgopolis
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Thunderstone: Dragonspire

I've never played any of them, so I can't vouch for the accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I would say Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game takes about 40 minutes less if you know it well, or die quickly.

FTFY

First few time more than an hour, easy...
Just my 2c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Mad Math wrote:
cafin8d wrote:
I would say Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game takes about 40 minutes less if you know it well, or die quickly.

FTFY

First few time more than an hour, easy...
Just my 2c.

That is not too much of a concern. Over time as long as I can cut it down to 30-45 minutes, I will be fine.

Also, based on suggestions from people and reading reviewd, I ordered 3 games today.

- Pandemic: The Cure
- Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card game
- Death Angel

Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG !

fistfullofbeer wrote:

I play with a single hand (=just one player) in solitaire mode, and it indeed finishes in your given time frame of 30-45 minutes -- that is, if you are familiar with the game's rules and flow.

I recommend only getting the base game at the beginning to see if you like it enough to invest more money: there are 3 scenarios inside the box and while your deck construction options are limited, it's enough to give you a solid impression. Beware though that one scenario is nearly impossible to win out of the box.

Do you prefer to play 1 player (1 hand) or 2 players (2 hands) ? I guess taking control over 2 players/decks will indeed add time.

I underestimated Friday for quite some time, having it collect dust on my shelf, but it's a surprisingly solid, challenging and good solo game. I personally think that the silly artworks do the game a disservice though, or maybe it's just a matter of taste.

I never played it, but there's also D-Day Dice, if you like dice. There's also Tiny Epic Galaxies, which is also dice-based and the solitaire variant is not just an afterthought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akshay P
United States
Whidbey Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Kyur wrote:
Welcome to BGG !

fistfullofbeer wrote:

I play with a single hand (=just one player) in solitaire mode, and it indeed finishes in your given time frame of 30-45 minutes -- that is, if you are familiar with the game's rules and flow.

I recommend only getting the base game at the beginning to see if you like it enough to invest more money: there are 3 scenarios inside the box and while your deck construction options are limited, it's enough to give you a solid impression. Beware though that one scenario is nearly impossible to win out of the box.

Do you prefer to play 1 player (1 hand) or 2 players (2 hands) ? I guess taking control over 2 players/decks will indeed add time.

I underestimated Friday for quite some time, having it collect dust on my shelf, but it's a surprisingly solid, challenging and good solo game. I personally think that the silly artworks do the game a disservice though, or maybe it's just a matter of taste.

I never played it, but there's also D-Day Dice, if you like dice. There's also Tiny Epic Galaxies, which is also dice-based and the solitaire variant is not just an afterthought.

Thanks for the input. I prefer playing 1 hand only.

Something I should have mentioned is that I am impatient with games which have a steep learning curve and large setup times. Seems strange to be impatient about figuring out games when I am an engineer by profession and spend a lot of time researching and reading but doing the same for a game makes it less appealing to me.

If I were to get LCG and 1 expansion/add-on which makes life easier for me, which expansion/add-on would you suggest?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fistfullofbeer wrote:
Kyur wrote:
Welcome to BGG !

fistfullofbeer wrote:

Thanks for the input. I prefer playing 1 hand only.

Something I should have mentioned is that I am impatient with games which have a steep learning curve and large setup times. Seems strange to be impatient about figuring out games when I am an engineer by profession and spend a lot of time researching and reading but doing the same for a game makes it less appealing to me.

If I were to get LCG and 1 expansion/add-on which makes life easier for me, which expansion/add-on would you suggest?

Thanks.

I'll be honest with you: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game has indeed a steep learning curve. :\ At least it had for me, and I learnt and played quite a few games before.

I guess the main reason is, that the game uses some concepts and ideas which are quite different and unique in comparison to other games. Still, the rulebook is well-written and full of examples, which is also the reason why it has so many pages: you literally have fully-illustrated and very detailed one-page examples. What I'm trying to say is: don't let the ~30-page rulebook scare you.

All that being said, it indeed took me a few games to really get into the game's rhythm, since every round is composed of 7 different phases, although some of them only take a few seconds or are even entirely optional, but you still have to follow and memorise the formula (thankfully, one of the last pages shows a breakdown of the turn order).

I recommend watching the video tutorial series by ►Watch It Played to make things a little bit easier.

I hope I haven't talked you out of this great game by now, because it's really worth the time investment. I don't say this lightly, but it offers one of the best solitaire experiences I ever had.

One last thing you should ask yourself: do you like deck construction ? Because your card pool will be quite limited at the beginning, this part kind of solves itself because of the very few options you will have, but if you really step into the game, refining your deck is indeed an essential part of the game's experience. Some hate it, some love it -- I personally like it, because I like the freedom of customisation and trying out diffent ideas and approaches when facing a certain adventure. It can also be fun to construct decks thematically.

About your question: again, I would say, just get the starter box, but if you really want to get an adventure pack...hmmm. (Note that I'm 1 adventure pack away from being through the first circle myself, so I'm not at all a veteran of this game.)

I guess my recommendation would be to really just get the first adventure pack: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hunt for Gollum. The adventure is fun and its difficulty (4) is not too challenging.

If you start out and have beginner's questions, just shoot me a message or ►visit this helpful page.

Also note that I heard from quite a few players that their first impression of this game was "meh", which also happened to me and sadly was the reason why I ignored this game for a long time. But once you give it some time and don't get too frustrated after your first failed attempts (E this game is hard), it does indeed unfold its beauty -- and I'm not talking about the absolutely fantastic artworks for this game.

Good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday is an essential solo player game that plays fast and is cheap. Good game.

I didn't care for LotR LCG for several reasons:

1) It's almost required that you buy expansions. I figured out pretty optimal "decks" of the core game within a few plays and wanted expansions after only a few plays. It is a money pit type of game.

2) Deck construction. You're be building decks which takes a lot of time.

3) Randomness: The game is insanely random. Certain decks simply will not win if certain cards are not drawn in order, or you will definitely lose in some scenarios if you draw enemy cards in a dangerous order. Simply too much randomness.

4) It is intensely fiddly. Tons of moving parts and keywords to forget.

If you want a card type game I recommend Warhammer Quest: ACG instead. Much better IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
If you want a card type game I recommend Warhammer Quest: ACG instead. Much better IMO.

How does it play as a solo game ? Do you need to play more than 1 character ? How is the replay value ?

I have been looking forward to give it a try for quite a while now. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This GeekList should give you a ton of ideas:

Solo games you can play in 30 minutes or less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fistfullofbeer wrote:
In my experience, easily. Sometimes a game's over in as little as 5 minutes...

However, creating a deck that stands a chance to beat a given scenario can easily take hours, unless you're net-decking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.