Ron Rhinehart
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Semi-English Nonsense
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello wargamers! I am super new to wargaming. My cube-mate and I have been playing Nuklear Winter '68 in our workspace for about a week, and I think I'm hooked. Like, I'm seeing hexes and counters when I close my eyes. Oh boy.

I am looking for a good solo game to play at home. I have kids and cats, so maybe something that can be played in an evening? I'd like it to be WW2 or newer (modern is fine). I'm an ameritrash gamer by blood so I love a good theme (thus Nuklear Winter is my first game). Sci Fi or Fantasy would be cool too. I'd also prefer it to have varied scenarios vs. being a singular battle.

I've heard a lot of buzz about Conflict of Heroes with the solo expansion - any good? What about a CDG? How is it that there aren't any fantasy themed wargames??

Thanks for the recommendations, hope this is ok to post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Fields of Fire. Being new to wargaming may actually help you, as the concepts are fairly unique and throw some more experienced wargamers. That said, it's a design that really gives you a feel for tactical combat.

If you wanted something lighter, but still a lot of fun, I would go with Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game. Also tactical, but tells a great story and is easy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Navajo Wars or the upcoming Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire
D-Day at Omaha Beach for hex-couter but limited scenarios
Thunderbolt Apache Leader for areal warfare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Struggle for the Galactic Empire, a solo-designed hex-and-counter style sci fi wargame. I did a video review of it talking about its design and appropriateness for 'new' wargamers, as well as showing examples of gameplay.

You can't play in a night but I have a cat and young kids and I managed to keep it covered up easily whilst recording the video over a period of weeks as well as when I play otherwise. As long as you end your play time at the end of a turn, it is easy to pick up again.

There are many scenarios and you should start with the first one, as that is plenty hard and they ramp up quite a bit!

The video is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/99593/struggle-galactic-empir...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out games designed by John Butterfield.
D-Day at Omaha Beach has already been mentioned and is a great solo game using an interesting system that is completely dice less and relies on card draws to run the AI and on comparing equipment of attacking units to defender requirements to resolve combat.

I haven't tried the later games in the D-Day series (Tarawa and Peleliu), but they add their own twists to that same system. They are also supposedly a lot harder to win.

Enemy Action: Ardennes is great, and might fulfill your CDG question. Cards are used to activate formations and add combat tactics which help you win fights. Combat resolution is again dice less, this time based on chit-pulls.
This one not only lets you play solo as the Allies or Germans, but also allows for 2 player games.

For Sci-Fi I recommend Space Empires 4X. It has various solo modes, ranging from defending your empire from massive (but pretty stupid) Doomsday Machines to running AI empires that research technology and build fleets similar to the way you do. The expansion adds more scenarios, you should be able to try them using rules found on BGG with just the base game too.
One of the great strengths of the game is the fog of war and tech tree which forces you to engage enemy fleets early to find out what tech they have so you can hopefully develop and deploy the right counters to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alessandro alex
Italy
Padova-Albignasego
flag msg tools
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35598/solitaire-war-games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
For fun aerial warfare I recommend Phantom Leader Deluxe or Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations
Sure wish DVG would publish Israeli Air Force Leader already. shake angry soblue

Field Commander: Rommel is a lot of fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a couple of geeklists which may help:

SingleHandedWarfare's Hall of Awesomeness
Top 10 Solitaire Wargames
Best Solo Wargame for You - Solitaire Wargaming
Solitare WWII Games
2 Player wargames that are good solo

Of course, there is some cross over on these lists, but that has to do with them being good, solid games worthy of a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronnyknox wrote:

I've heard a lot of buzz about Conflict of Heroes with the solo expansion - any good?

It's amazing. The only solo game I've played that really feels like you're playing against a real person. Highly recommend. Pair it up with the CoH Firefight Generator for unlimited variation in gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Rhinehart
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Semi-English Nonsense
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses! I'll check out the geeklists.

The Warfighter card game looks interesting. CoH with the solo expansion sounds like a worthy investment too. I'll also check out Stuggle for the Galactic Empire - which sounds friggin' epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronnyknox wrote:
I'll also check out Stuggle for the Galactic Empire - which sounds friggin' epic!
Epic it is! Your galaxy is in collapse and you need to try to save it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the grog side of gaming!

Based on what you said and to complement what others have already suggested, here are a few more worth looking into (and generally speaking they can be had for a reasonable amount of money):

Battle of the Atlantic
Fall of Berlin
This have recently been reprinted by One Small Step.
Both game use similar mechanics in that you use cards to determine what you can do in a turn, as well as drive the enemy's reaction.
They take up very small place and play rather quickly (30 minutes or so once you have the rules down)

First Team: Vietnam
This is long OOP but can be had for a song on e-bay.
Great solo game in my opinion and much overlooked.
Make sure you download the revised rules by one of our masters:
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb

From the file section. The rules as they come in the magazine do require a bit of interpretation.
This one plays a bit more slowly but does not have a huge footprint either.
Ah, no cards here. And no hexes but point-to-point movement

Panzers East Solitaire
Recent game published in one of Strategy & Tactics line of magazines.
I think it delivers a good experience and makes for a challenging game.
Some claim it is not a good representation of the Eastern Front offensive, but I personally found it a very well crafted games and much prefer this than full authenticity if it comes at the price of not being playable.
Also this one may need you to leave it set-up as it is a bit long to be completed in one session.

Kido Butai: Japan's Carriers at Midway
Very small game on Midway. Lots of chance given by die-rolls, but an interesting experience nonetheless (uses basics of all WWII carrier games) and very quick + minimal footprint and set-up times.

The Chosin Few
This one feels a lot more abstracted but it is an interesting game nonetheless. As for your post, this one also fulfills your requirements in terms of footprint and playing time. Worth checking out but a bit pricey for what it delivers (if you can find it second hand it would become worth to get it).
Here you have cards that once again tell you what you can do and drive the enemy AI.

Let us know your next steps, but above all: have fun whatever you choose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
not strictly solo but very, very suitable are games like
The Last King of Scotland and Battle for Moscow (second edition), both can be easily played solo and the dynamics of both feel like you are able to see the game from both side's perspectives.

TLKoS also covers a not a very well known conflict, the components have a nice retro feel and a very interesting dice system. The Battle for Moscow is a must have game and is regularly praised for its simplicity and fluidity .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add Night of Man with the solo expansion to the list. Yeah, you need the additional part to play against an AI, but to me it is totally worth it. The AI behaves reasonable to make a good opponent, but still is nasty enough to provide tension. It's not exactly hexes, though, but squares. But the counters are gorgeous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGargoyle wrote:
I'd like to add Night of Man with the solo expansion to the list. Yeah, you need the additional part to play against an AI, but to me it is totally worth it. The AI behaves reasonable to make a good opponent, but still is nasty enough to provide tension. It's not exactly hexes, though, but squares. But the counters are gorgeous ;)

I did a video of that one too, specifically focusing on solo play. I agree with this poster: worth the price tag. My video explains in detail how the AI works and why it is so effective.
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/104584/night-man/night-man-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronnyknox wrote:

What about a CDG?

CDG's used to be largely ill-suited to solo play but then StukaJoe came along with his CDG solo system and single-handedly gave the concept a shot in the arm:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Ruiz
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently playing and filming Crete 1941: Operation Mercury. This is a game that comes with World at War Magazine, issue #47. It's about the German invasion of Crete, where the player takes control of the German airborne forces, but there are also air units and lots of surprises on the Allied (AI) side. The game is not complex at all and I'm having a blast with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I'm producing are meant to be quickly set up, played in 2-3 hours, and quickly packed. They are definitely solitaire/solo friendly.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167650/last-battle-i...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148264/operation-bat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Ruiz
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:
The games I'm producing are meant to be quickly set up, played in 2-3 hours, and quickly packed. They are definitely solitaire/solo friendly.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167650/last-battle-i...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148264/operation-bat...
Hi, Mike. I have Operation Battleaxe, but haven't given it a spin yet. Don't have Ie Shima, though. For some unexplained reason, I have yet to do a video on an area-movement game, which is weird, because I really like the genre (in the old days, I loved the old Turning Point Stalingrad). Area movement games should definitely televise well, compared to some hex and counter games with towering stacks. How about your upcoming Stalingrad game, is it solitaire friendly? Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"How is it that there aren't any fantasy themed wargames??"

Now, if I do say so myself, Hermann Luttmann and I have just created such solo games for Tiny Battles' "Semper Sci-Fi" series:

1. Invaders from Dimension X!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/183963/invaders-dimensio...

2. Space Vermin from Beyond!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/204764/space-vermin-beyo...

Tiny Battle Publishing's home page:

http://tinybattlepublishing.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
For fun aerial warfare I recommend Phantom Leader Deluxe or Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations
Sure wish DVG would publish Israeli Air Force Leader already. shake angry soblue

Field Commander: Rommel is a lot of fun too.

It's worth noting that Hornet Leader has an expansion that leans towards the sci-fi side: Hornet Leader: Cthulhu Conflict. Both the base game and the expansion are currently in print, too.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like fun and I'm definitely looking forward to nuking the forces of evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You get 2-3 hours to play a wargame and you have kids? Lucky guy! I have a 2 year old and twin baby girls, and only get that time rarely. I'm allowed Tuesday nights, and one Saturday every two weeks by SWMBO. So....I set up games that may take a very long time to complete solo, taking a quick turn whenever I can get 10 or 15 minutes to sneak off into the war room and play.

Some games I enjoy solo are A Victory Lost, Ambush!, Combat Commander: Europe, Up Front. Many others I have, but these have hit the table most in the last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronnyknox wrote:
I have kids and cats, so maybe something that can be played in an evening?

Buy a board of plywood, and keep your game on that. Just store the board on top of a shelf between plays. That way, you will be able to play longer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted a discussion of Mosby's Raiders, a superb solo-designed wargame that is old (1985) but not dated (well, except for the rulebook perhaps). Highly recommended for the solo wargamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Fleet Commander: Nimitz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.