$60.00
Jeff Clark
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So,

I've just unboxed the 2nd edition, and am thinking about the benefit of reusing my old minis from the 1st edition (which I've painted, so I'm sort of attached to them).

I've noticed that the "upgrade kit" for the new edition uses slightly different stats for the cardboard tokens of the 1st edition monsters.

For example, the cult leaders in the old version had the capability of dealing different levels of damage to you depending on which one you were facing. In the new edition, all the monsters have the same stats printed on their tokens. Also, in the new edition, the new monsters don't have a 'special attack' on their bases.

My problem is, the cardboard tokens are really stuck in the old bases, probably from glue having dropped down the little holes when I stuck the mini figures in (I may not have been particularly clever about that when I stuck them in).

What's the 'hive mind' think about what to do? I'm waiting to do anything permanent until I've played it a few times, as if I really like the 2nd edition so much that I'll "never play the first edition again", then I may just rip out of the tokens, but not sure yet...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as all the 2E tokens are identical, they don't actually need to be in the bases. You can just keep them by the side for reference.

Don't try to rip the old tokens out. The tokens/bases are very snug, so even a small amount left stuck in the base will prevent a new token from being put in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually surprised they kept the whole "token in a big ol' base" thing. I always assumed that if they did a second edition, they'd use smaller bases and have all the stats and stuff on cards, like how it's done in Imperial Assault. Any ideas why they kept the base/token system (especially if the stats are more uniform)? It just seems clunky to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because the figures they're using were already designed to fit in these bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zzyzxuk wrote:
So,

I've just unboxed the 2nd edition, and am thinking about the benefit of reusing my old minis from the 1st edition (which I've painted, so I'm sort of attached to them).

I've noticed that the "upgrade kit" for the new edition uses slightly different stats for the cardboard tokens of the 1st edition monsters.

For example, the cult leaders in the old version had the capability of dealing different levels of damage to you depending on which one you were facing. In the new edition, all the monsters have the same stats printed on their tokens. Also, in the new edition, the new monsters don't have a 'special attack' on their bases.

My problem is, the cardboard tokens are really stuck in the old bases, probably from glue having dropped down the little holes when I stuck the mini figures in (I may not have been particularly clever about that when I stuck them in).

What's the 'hive mind' think about what to do? I'm waiting to do anything permanent until I've played it a few times, as if I really like the 2nd edition so much that I'll "never play the first edition again", then I may just rip out of the tokens, but not sure yet...?

I was able to slide a small knife in the corners of the tile and gently pry them out. Once the token starts protruding enough I grabbed it with a needle nose pliers. I had a bit of glue on some of mine also. I was able to get them all out without doing damage to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
I'm actually surprised they kept the whole "token in a big ol' base" thing. I always assumed that if they did a second edition, they'd use smaller bases and have all the stats and stuff on cards, like how it's done in Imperial Assault. Any ideas why they kept the base/token system (especially if the stats are more uniform)? It just seems clunky to me.

I think it is so theoretically you could use the figures in Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror as well, as their tokens can also slide in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I painted my MoM1E figures, the tokens had to be CRAMMED into the bases. Didn't think anything of them 'cause I never expected I'd have a reason to take them out. Glue or not, they're in there for GOOD.

But one thing occurred to me last night regarding this very issue... Second edition doesn't have you putting damage tokens in the little token-tab on the base, so I plan on just taking the 2E tokens and slotting them there behind the mini instead. All info on the conversion token is visible, not so fiddly as just laying the token near or under the mini.

Quick and easy fix/alternative. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the slot is for the monster ID tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Weirdly, my 1st edition counters came out of the bases really easily... I don't know if I just have magic fingers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
When I painted my MoM1E figures, the tokens had to be CRAMMED into the bases. Didn't think anything of them 'cause I never expected I'd have a reason to take them out. Glue or not, they're in there for GOOD.

But one thing occurred to me last night regarding this very issue... Second edition doesn't have you putting damage tokens in the little token-tab on the base, so I plan on just taking the 2E tokens and slotting them there behind the mini instead. All info on the conversion token is visible, not so fiddly as just laying the token near or under the mini.

Quick and easy fix/alternative. =)

I might actually do this myself, as I always get the horror and awareness values mixed up, and you can't see the artwork that differentiates them while the token is in the base. Plus, the artwork on the token is good, and it allows you to see the brawn value without picking up the mini.

The ID tokens are relatively rarely used anyway, and even when they are the token is small enough to just be laid on the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.