BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What Type of Board Game Player Are You? Take the Test to Find Out. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Yee
United States
California
flag msg tools

Take the Board Game Motivation Profile to see how you compare with other board game players!

Thanks so much BGG for helping us create this profile tool in the initial brainstorming and pilot survey.

You can learn more about how we created this profile tool in our blog post.

There's a a feedback form at the bottom of the profile report for any suggestions/feedback you have. We're also constantly testing new motivation items and revising the underlying model/math as we collect more data from gamers. We're collecting board game titles in a more structured way in this survey to explore the feasibility of a recommender engine based on gaming motivations.

In this version of the profile tool, account creation is not needed to see your profile, only to save and share your profile (and also to access the recommender engine in the future without needing to fill out the survey again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
I took it!

Basically scored high on strategy, low on everything else. Think maybe I should have scored a bit higher on system discovery. Good survey, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I ended up "high conflict and immersed" which sounds about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got high conflict and gregarious amongst others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Isberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Low Conflict, Strategic, Grounded, and Independent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Who knows, though, it could be fun to get suggestions based on profile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting survey. I scored high on the Social and Fantasy aspects, but mostly due to accessibility. Tho, I don't think I'll really ever play an party game, but... everything else seemed good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy : 78%
Conflict : 18%
Fun : 8%
Fantasy : 8%

Not unexpected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo C. Ponze
Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
flag msg tools
I too got my higher score on Strategy (50%), and everything else low (14% 29% 32%).

I'm not sure how to feel about these results haha. I guess I just don't care about anything? Low conflict does say I prefer "multiplayer solitaire" games (which is correct), but every other aspect says I just don't care about immersion, social fun, aesthetics, etc.

If this is a Motivation Profile I believe I should have got a high score on social fun in the sense of playing to have a good time with other people, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like party games, and this survey asumes that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Not the one suggested by the survey results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Yee
United States
California
flag msg tools
Patronux wrote:
I believe I should have got a high score on social fun in the sense of playing to have a good time with other people, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like party games, and this survey asumes that.

Good point on Social Fun != Party Games. That's something we'll discuss and potentially revise in the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict (86%) - High Conflict
Strategy (86%) - Strategic
Fantasy (68%) - Immersed
Social Fun (34%) - Gregarious

Surprised by last finding. Am told I don't socialize much during a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Yee
United States
California
flag msg tools
chadnorth wrote:
Surprised by last finding. Am told I don't socialize much during a game.

Strange. Did it give you the label of "Gregarious" at the top of your profile report with a 34% on Social Fun? That might be a bug and shouldn't be the case. We'll go take a look at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will S
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grounded for me. I guess because most of my scores are near the mid-range?

Conflict: 64%
Social Fun: 55%
Strategy: 47%
Fantasy: 21%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Not really me but who am I to argue with a computer?

Conflict:74
Social Fun:19
Strategy:8
Fantasy:2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Low Conflict, Relaxed, Immersed, and Independent

Conflict (4%)
Strategy (16%)
Fantasy (76%)
Social Fun (10%)

Sounds about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the results unsatisfying: they didn't seem to describe my preferences at all - and that despite the fact that I did my best to answer the questions honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict 98%
Social Fun 53%
Fantasy 94%
Strategy 8%

That's probably accurate.

I also am noticeable for having a very high fantasy score, while not caring about aesthetics (a mere 2%)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
rynelf wrote:
I found the results unsatisfying: they didn't seem to describe my preferences at all - and that despite the fact that I did my best to answer the questions honestly.

Likewise. The largest gap for me was the valuation of strategy over systems discovery, in large part because the driver behind my interest in strategy is systems discovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great work Nick. I personally thought about something similar to the 4 clusters you came up with but broke them down into a few more subcategories when profiling my friends and family. It was not enough to know what they liked and didn't like but also why. It was an interesting thought experiment to understand even if I couldn't relate to their reasons for gaming.

For my part, my own self categorization aligned very closely with the results of your quiz. Unfortunately this knowledge of self and my group doesn't translate to affecting real world purchases or game night suggestions as I buy a variety anyway and we constantly have to work around tastes still. The main benefit of this type of thing is bringing understanding of why people we get along with don't enjoy the same things we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Yee
United States
California
flag msg tools
rynelf wrote:

Let me know which factors felt particularly off. We also have a feedback survey to help improve the underlying model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Yee
United States
California
flag msg tools
Destrio wrote:
Really great work Nick ... The main benefit of this type of thing is bringing understanding of why people we get along with don't enjoy the same things we do.

Really appreciate the feedback! And I agree that the profiles are most helpful in letting people compare against their friends to better understand similarities and differences, and having a vocab/framework for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Zoomink wrote:
Low Conflict, Strategic, Grounded, and Independent

Same here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrilly Philly
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict - 97%
Everything else around -60-70%

Conflict is pretty spot on. As expected I'm pretty varied, I find it hard to polarize decisions related to luck or something as that's the reason I have different games in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scored high on conflict/strategy (no real surprise) and very low on 'party' games. Good quiz and I found it pretty accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.