Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey van Dorp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I got my copy today at my FLGS and after unboxing it, I was left a bit disapointed with some minor issues that I would not have expected with the pricepoint FFG has introduced this game;

1) Star spawn figure doesn't line up with the base: the holes are to far back so when you place the figure in the base, the text in the cutout gets overlapped.
2) Some castings are of poor quality. Flimsy plastic, lots of flash and some figures are assembled crooked; Deep one figure has it's arm glued on at the factory, but some where glued on at a wrong angle. Same with Star spawn figure.
3) Played with my wife and she selected Rita Young and I selected Carson, when the app instructed us to place the figures in the Lobby, the figure of Agatha was displayed, we thought we selected the wrong investigator, but when we tried again, the same happened.
4) card stock is really hard to shove in the bases.
5) no insert in the box, this really bothers me a lot..

Edit: another one on the list of misgrieves;
Played the first scenario today and after some 45 minutes of greatness we had to go so I saved and quit the app.
Tonight I tried to continue our quest but alas, the scenario froze. Couldn't tap anything on the map. Closed the app and tried again with no luck. Tried a bazillion times after that but the only thing the app would let me do is start a new game.
With a wife that already needed pursuasion to play a game with this theme and is as nitpicky as I am regarding my earlier summarized points, it was all but game over for her at that point.
Luckily I could convince her I could fix it. Started a new game, retraced our steps (and found out during this process that the app isn't random at all because the map, search tokens and explore tokens all got placed in the exact same place) and continued the game where we left of.
Wouldn't want this to happen amidst a 4 hour scenario...shake

Hope the next update of the app will make it stable enough for this to not happen again. Not a good intro of the game for me. Really a pity because up until the crashing of the app, we had a wonderful and immersive experience.

TL;DR
App crashed mid game, had to restart game & minis are $#!+

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those things bother me actually. 1 and 2 are easily fixed with glue, Agatha is just an example of investigators, and I've always hated inserts. /shrug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jevfree wrote:
5) no insert in the box, this really bothers me a lot..

FFG standard issue then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the price this game is selling for, you have a right to be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I may see wrong is any "bug issues" with the app (which is Cool btw!!!).. I noticed no problems at first but when I loaded the app with my phone the second time around and when I mirrored it to my tv it kept freezing at different points. I know it's prob something stupid but got to say when it worked the first time, it was awesome to see it on the big screen as well as on my phone!!! (Hope this gets resolved!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1,2) Fixed by a little home gluing (which I did with all of my first edition figures, so par for the course there).

3) I noticed this too when trying out the app, but as mentioned already, it is just a general example and has zero impact on gameplay, so not really an issue.

4) A little bit of a pain, but this was true with first edition as well. As long as we don't need to remove the tokens again in the near future, then once they are in they can stay there.

5) All FFG inserts are pointless when they are included anyway, so not really a loss. Most FFG games require you to figure out your own storage solution as the inserts are purely for shipping purposes.

So all in all, these really are just nitpicks (as advertised ) and don't detract anything from the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey van Dorp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
1,2) Fixed by a little home gluing (which I did with all of my first edition figures, so par for the course there).

3) I noticed this too when trying out the app, but as mentioned already, it is just a general example and has zero impact on gameplay, so not really an issue.

4) A little bit of a pain, but this was true with first edition as well. As long as we don't need to remove the tokens again in the near future, then once they are in they can stay there.

5) All FFG inserts are pointless when they are included anyway, so not really a loss. Most FFG games require you to figure out your own storage solution as the inserts are purely for shipping purposes.

So all in all, these really are just nitpicks (as advertised ) and don't detract anything from the game for me.

I know these issues aren't detracting anything from this awesome game, but I paid €100,- for this game and for that kind of money I expect nothing less then a perfect copy. Not expecting to DIY my copy to fix some (minor, granted) issues which are poorly designed in the first place.
I mean, a bit of quality control goes a long way.

The app and the game are awesome though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely ever keep the insert, but when I do I usually mod it anyway to my liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
games are expensive now days, it's just something we have to deal with in this new golden age.

When I bought Descent 2nd ed it was $75 CAD now they want $110 for it. Castle of Mad King was $80 and had no insert, no elastics, and no baggies for a game that was just cheap cardstock and cardboard tiles.

You can't expect kickstarter stretch goal goodies in every big publisher game, and you can't really expect mini heavy games to be under $100 anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
grahamj wrote:
For the price this game is selling for, you have a right to be disappointed.

Indeed. I'm disappointed by the quality of the figures. The detail on the investigators is lacking, and the star spawn figure just looks horribly cheap (like dollar store action figure cheap). The star spawns I will try to replace with something decent. Definitely not good enough by today's standards and considering the price tag. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest disappoint so far is the fact that you can't customize your hero at the start of the game. I wish they would have left that in. Other then that, its been fun. I agree the mini's aren't that great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Jebstone wrote:
games are expensive now days, it's just something we have to deal with in this new golden age.

When I bought Descent 2nd ed it was $75 CAD now they want $110 for it. Castle of Mad King was $80 and had no insert, no elastics, and no baggies for a game that was just cheap cardstock and cardboard tiles.

Big part of that is actually Canadian dollar taking a pounding so you are paying nearly %30 more than our American counterpart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BurnBabyBurn wrote:
My biggest disappoint so far is the fact that you can't customize your hero at the start of the game. I wish they would have left that in. Other then that, its been fun. I agree the mini's aren't that great.

I'm not that sad about it. Often would pick the same thing for each character, plus we have 24 investigators now. Also was complicated to explain to new people right off the bat. Randomized starting items seems like it is taking its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey van Dorp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jebstone wrote:

You can't expect kickstarter stretch goal goodies in every big publisher game, and you can't really expect mini heavy games to be under $100 anymore.

I'm not complaining about the price point of this game, nor am I expecting 'Kickstarter stretch goals'. I just want a game without flawed minis and subpar casting for the price I paid for it.
Got other miniature games with much better quality minis for a MRSP that was a lot lower then the €100 I paid for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked my copy up today.

I find the miniatures to be lower quality than the 1st edition, though they are close. Lots of flashing, not much detail, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
It's FFG, not Games Workshop, and I have 1st edition MOM so... I expected crap miniatures... and got even worse I'm not really bothered about it but I think the bare minimum quality is that they should go on the bases effectively... which not all do.

Actually I'm quite tempted to just use the counters and not bother with the cumbersome figures as the artwork is actually better than the miniatures. If I hadn't paid £70 I might well have done this... but I did and so I gotta put the full price on the table laugh

But FFG these days cut corners. I know I'm going to make some people angry by being blunt about that but they do. They put in the bare minimum content to a base game to make it work. I've been very conscious of that with every game of theirs I've purchased for the last couple of years. The value for money on their games has been on quite a steep downward curve in that time: less components, less play time, higher cost (I'm aware that games generally are becoming more expensive and that it isn't only FFG). Personally I'm down to only their Lovecraft franchise games that I'm reckoning on following. I've just had the feeling once too often opening their games and thinking 'couldn't they just have included the right number of dice' (4 dice in base game Battlelore aggrieved me for instance (they KNOW it's not enough; that's why they sell them separately at a steep cost) or 'couldn't they have just made that deck a little thicker'? (practically every FFG game: Eldritch Horror, Runebound) Little things but enough to slowly change my perceptive of their products and decide I'd rather go with different games by other publishers for the most part. I've just not been blown away by quality or value in one of their games for too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Lol, you make good points. It's odd too, because FFG is a fairly large company, even more so with Asmodee backing now.

But if you really want to see a major publisher cut corners in a spectacular fashion, check out Tyrants of the Underdark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
Lol, you make good points. It's odd too, because FFG is a fairly large company, even more so with Asmodee backing now.

But if you really want to see a major publisher cut corners in a spectacular fashion, check out Tyrants of the Underdark

There's absolutely nothing wrong with tyrants of the underdark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Dark63 wrote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with tyrants of the underdark.

You don't feel it's a bit overpriced for what's included?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jevfree wrote:
(...)
3) Played with my wife and she selected Rita Young and I selected Carson, when the app instructed us to place the figures in the Lobby, the figure of Agatha was displayed, we thought we selected the wrong investigator, but when we tried again, the same happened.
(...)
App crashed mid game, had to restart game (...)

What do you think?
I think that you should report the bugs.
Almost every single application I have used, had bugs. As a programmer, I know this is basically unavoidable.
If you want these issues fixed, you need to report those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
jevfree wrote:
(...)
(...)

What do you think?
Almost every single application I have used, had bugs. As a programmer, I know this is basically unavoidable.

Agreed. The critical question is not really are there bugs but how quickly are they fixed. It's the reason I did not pay for express delivery and I'm happy to wait for the game to arrive.

Incidentally, there are mathematical proofs (Gödel's theorem and Turings Halting Issue) which proves a complex app may always crash. On the other hand this never stops me or my husband getting very irate when it happens to us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey van Dorp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
jevfree wrote:
(...)
(...)

What do you think?

Agreed. The critical question is not really are there bugs but how quickly are they fixed. It's the reason I did not pay for express delivery and I'm happy to wait for the game to arrive.

Incidentally, there are mathematical proofs (Gödel's theorem and Turings Halting Issue) which proves a complex app may always crash. On the other hand this never stops me or my husband getting very irate when it happens to us

I reported the bugs and hope they get addressed properly.
I imagine the app got play tested the hell out of it and the app crashing during my very first game is just really bad luck. But, on top of my disappointing first encounter with the minis and the quality issues right out of of the box, the crashing of a mandatory app midway during the first scenario while only hours before I had to shell out €100 to obtain it, is a tough act to swallow.
This is the first time I purchased a game on the day it got released, didn't even waited for first reviews to come in. I was really excited for this game because I was finally able to obtain it. I play 95% of the time with my wife so the 1e edition wasn't really suited for our needs.
I had to persuade my wife that this would be a game she would enjoy very much despite the theme BECAUSE it uses an app that randomizes gameplay, optimizes puzzles and mysteries and such. And to have this happen during our first game is sheer terror for me, because I'm afraid the game is forever tainted for her. First impressions do matter a lot.
I am lucky to have enough disposable income to not worry about the money spend, but it's still €100 out of my salary I worked very hard for. I don't think it's weird to expect a better product at such a price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jevfree wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
jevfree wrote:
(...)
(...)

What do you think?

I reported the bugs and hope they get addressed properly.
I imagine the app got play tested the hell out of it and the app crashing during my very first game is just really bad luck. But, on top of my disappointing first encounter with the minis and the quality issues right out of of the box, the crashing of a mandatory app midway during the first scenario while only hours before I had to shell out €100 to obtain it, is a tough act to swallow.
This is the first time I purchased a game on the day it got released, didn't even waited for first reviews to come in. I was really excited for this game because I was finally able to obtain it. I play 95% of the time with my wife so the 1e edition wasn't really suited for our needs.
I had to persuade my wife that this would be a game she would enjoy very much despite the theme BECAUSE it uses an app that randomizes gameplay, optimizes puzzles and mysteries and such. And to have this happen during our first game is sheer terror for me, because I'm afraid the game is forever tainted for her. First impressions do matter a lot.
I am lucky to have enough disposable income to not worry about the money spend, but it's still €100 out of my salary I worked very hard for. I don't think it's weird to expect a better product at such a price point.

I do understand where you're coming from. I still remember the bitter disappointment I felt about the first expansion for the first edition of Mansions - Forbidden Alchemy. There were numerous issues and it seemed it had been released with little or no play-testing. Unlike FA, it does sound as though the 2nd edition was very much play-tested. The good news is FFG goes the extra mile - and then some - to get things sorted. With FA they sent a fix pack at not cost and it included a book for free as well! That's pretty good responsiveness.

I'm confident FFG is working hard to get the app fixed and the good thing is they won't have to send the fixes by air mail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.