Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How often do you bring the special figures (like the drones or CPP-309 or the cleaner or the Robocop type figure or the tango and cash like figures etc.) instead of various Sec Fors?

If you brought in the specials, how did it go? The ED-209 robot in Robocop was almost the funniest thing I can remember in the movie. That thing was great! I have this vision of going through a building with my Mercs and suddenly coming on this tableau where Robocop is taking on a 209 in a separate engagement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet, but eventually I'll get them to the table. There is a LOT of content to absorb. I'm still getting used to location enhancements and new factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've brought in Salsa and Pesos a couple times and it was cool. Though I made sure the Mercs hit them hard and fast as possible, as they can be a potent enemy.

Brought in EZ once an email it was a bear. Though that was before I learned from Mercs Greg on their site that EZ is a 4 level enemy.

I may have brought a couple others in, but it's been awhile since then and I can't recall the details. I've been focused on painting the minis lately and not playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely going to try to bring in the drones (which I think are cool and pretty thematic) and CPP-209 would be fun too.

Am I the only guy playing I wonder who might be a tiny bit squemish about gunning down the female SecFor IIs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'm definitely going to try to bring in the drones (which I think are cool and pretty thematic) and CPP-209 would be fun too.

Am I the only guy playing I wonder who might be a tiny bit squemish about gunning down the female SecFor IIs?

Equal rights, etc. etc. etc... and they're gunning for you too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

It's a game. I've gunned down employees plenty of times just because. Some of the rules actually encourage it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Scrapyardarmory wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

It's a game. I've gunned down employees plenty of times just because. Some of the rules actually encourage it...

I don't gun down employees. I play that they are detained. My view is the MERCS are the good guys going against the enemy. If they cannot do damage to me, they are a non-combatant and aren't "killed".

I actually thought the special characters were on the player's side when I backed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
I actually thought the special characters were on the player's side when I backed it. :)

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how they play in tabletop MERCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Scrapyardarmory wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I don't gun down employees. I play that they are detained. My view is the MERCS are the good guys going against the enemy. If they cannot do damage to me, they are a non-combatant and aren't "killed".

I actually thought the special characters were on the player's side when I backed it.

Though I understand that the writers of this game really aren't saying ANY of the mercenaries are "good guys" per se, still I try to play to produce the minimum amount of damage to the people and the buildings consistent with accomplishing the mission.

If you don't want to see this as being "heroes" (which is what I prefer), then it is at least a pragmatic way to approach success. Otherwise, your corporation will be next on the hit list with more brutal raids. It's not like you hide your affiliation right? You're all in brightly colored armors with unique technologies and weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

Though I understand that the writers of this game really aren't saying ANY of the mercenaries are "good guys" per se, still I try to play to produce the minimum amount of damage to the people and the buildings consistent with accomplishing the mission.

If you don't want to see this as being "heroes" (which is what I prefer), then it is at least a pragmatic way to approach success. Otherwise, your corporation will be next on the hit list with more brutal raids. It's not like you hide your affiliation right? You're all in brightly colored armors with unique technologies and weapons.

MERCS certainly feels like all the teams exist in a certain grey area. Nobodies hands are clean.

But on the other hand it is a game. A game I'd like to win a bit more than I am now currently.

So usually my games start slow. I'll do anything to keep the alarm level down. But once I hit my objective B&C I let it all out and blow up corridors and fire into civilians with reckless abandon if I think it will help my team escape to fight another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I'm not sure I'm going to play the Mercs tabletop game, I read the initial story with the thumbnail sketch of the world and I'm reading Worker's Heart. So far, I have to say it's an interesting world but a pretty dystopian one.

The game ALWAYS seems to go that way. You do what you can to keep casualties down, but then the B&C rules seem to force you to raise the security level, ensuring that you're going to have a vicious fight on your hands most of the time.

The upside is that it's exciting. The downside is that forced increase in the threat level makes the game limited in duration pretty severely. The floor design is SUCH a critical factor (more than it should be IMHO). It's almost worth having a set floor design for every mission so that the mission isn't too hard or too easy by accident. You could even have 3 designs, an easy, medium, and hard to choose from.

And longer missions would, I think, require ways to reduce the security level down as well so you could go longer without having an endless and overwhelming set of SecFor IV's and III's which would end the mission one way or another. Or there should be a limit to the security forces. After X SecFor I's, II's, IIIs, etc you run out of forces and have Y rounds till more show up from other locations. After all, each building doesn't have an army protecting it, it has limited resources. Plus after being spanked, they might be reluctant to charge in. Built in "catch your breath" periods would make the game exciting without wearing you out.

The game rules really work against the quiet, stealth insertion, getting the job done with a minimum of fuss and collateral damage which you would think would be what the corporations would want. Corporations should be pragmatic right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

The game rules really work against the quiet, stealth insertion, getting the job done with a minimum of fuss and collateral damage which you would think would be what the corporations would want. Corporations should be pragmatic right?

Which rules? I find stealth works OK depending on the mission but almost every mission has this aspect.

Generally You can only raise one security level a turn.

I normally find a bhit of stealth followed by some explosive action followed by stealth and then a run for the exit. Managing priority using combos and CDD by drawing secfors into a trap as you only place / upgrade one CDD per attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I only mean that achieving the objective usually artificially raises the security level no matter how careful you are before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The missions are actually representing a few minutes of actual time, so I don't see how the security level can really go down, other than in a specific mission or so. Any building that is going to have these kind of security forces, is going to have a threat response they likely train for. So I'd think that once the shooting and explosives starts, it's a race to complete the mission and get the heck out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
The missions are actually representing a few minutes of actual time, so I don't see how the security level can really go down, other than in a specific mission or so. Any building that is going to have these kind of security forces, is going to have a threat response they likely train for. So I'd think that once the shooting and explosives starts, it's a race to complete the mission and get the heck out.

Not just arbitrarily boosting it would be enough, but also hacking into their network and sending the secFors somewhere else or cancelling the alarms etc. might depress the security level. OR locking doors to the floor might also effectively do the same thing.

And like I said, they don't have infinite forces. They should run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Hahma wrote:

Not just arbitrarily boosting it would be enough, but also hacking into their network and sending the secFors somewhere else or cancelling the alarms etc. might depress the security level. OR locking doors to the floor might also effectively do the same thing.

And like I said, they don't have infinite forces. They should run out.

The infinite forces is a mechanic of the game, just like the over the top building destruction that cause CDD's.

Sure you can say that you hacked into the network before insertion and sent Secfor somewhere else, then it would be a boring game without an enemy to fight. You can also lock the doors, then you don't have to worry about Employees escaping either and lower the risk of raising security.

The game is very open to making up houserules to fit individual player's needs/desires. So people can make it as easy or hard as they want to by making some tweaks. If this game came out of the box and I could win 80 or 90 percent of the time, then it would be a crappy game in my opinion. For me, I like certain co-op games to kick my ass a good bit of the time. Games like Robinson Crusoe and Warfighter The Tactical Special Forces Card Game do that and I like that, as it makes it feel more of an accomplishment when winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a matter of easy or hard. If you are trying to do a stealth approach and you are working hard to keep the security level down and minimize casulties, it can still be a very challenging game. Then to have all that sabotaged by the line at the bottom of the mission card that says increase security level by X (for no real reason) is disappointing to say the least.

By these artificial boosts for the security level, every game tends to play out the same. You take it easy, then the artificial boost causes the security level to skyrocket for no reason you are responsible for, and then you're inundated by SecFor till the end of the game.

I'm just thinking that not every game need have this EXACT pattern. Plus I think it would be more exciting if the security level went up and down depending on game events.

I'm looking forward to seeing how all the new forces I'm painting up affect the gameplay. And I'm looking forward to playing the missions in the mission packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I'm a week or so away from having all the specials painted. I'm tempted to do an all drone SecFor force just for fun. I have 2 CPP-309s along with 4 sets of the 3 drones, the GCC drone, the bigger myth/Mercs crossover drone and even Robocop.

Anybody tried that? We ought to try to work these into the lore. I know they're just for fun but as I said above, I loved old ED-209. That thing was hilarious (and frightening at the same time). Now if I can just work out rules for old ED in Myth. Think he would make a good hero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.