ⱮǾⱤǾƝ ÐɆĽŮẌɆ
Germany
Münsing
Bayern
flag msg tools
Hauptschüler.Ohne.Nennenswerte.Kenntnis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the advancement of FFG's dungeon crawler series and they did a great job on their latest (?) one (SW:IA). When i think about further dungeon crawler the middle-earth and arkham horror files themes came up to my mind. Is that too devious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've already done two takes on a Lovecraft game like this: Mansions of Madness 1st ed. & 2nd ed.

Since they don't have anything resembling a minis license for Middle-Earth, I doubt we'll get that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
They've already done two takes on a Lovecraft game like this: Mansions of Madness 1st ed. & 2nd ed.

Since they don't have anything resembling a minis license for Middle-Earth, I doubt we'll get that.

Do they need that I wonder? They have Middle-Earth Quest, and the story arcs behind The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game packs would fit perfectly in a "dungeon crawler" type game. If they wanted, I bet they could do a Middle-Earth dungeon crawler...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm...

Just looking at some of their products, I see LOTR and Arkham Horror, like you mentioned. I'd be for both of them, though as a huge LOTR fan I'd swing a little more that way.

They also have Warhammer licenses, but that would be kind of redundant. Plus, I doubt that they have the license for minis for them.

There is Game of Thrones, though. Not sure GOT really fits in well with the whole "heroes fight overwhelming odds and actually win" thing, but it might be cool to do something where if a hero dies he gets replaced by a different hero and has the option to later come across old gear dropped by previous heroes. Even so, I'd imagine seeing a little more beefy enemies, but fewer of them for the most part.

There's be a lot of room for expansions, too.
The base game could be centered in Westeros, fighting against various rogue factions in the War of the Five Kings, maybe some Lannister and even Stark troops, too. There could be a box in Essos fighting the slavers, one north of the Wall with wildlings and White Walkers- there'd be a lot of potential there.

One really cool idea to toy with is the idea of betrayal. Say Hero A opens a door. A scripted event could cause the dungeon player to offer Hero A to betray his comrades and join him. Then, Hero A would be working against the group until he dies and the player has to pick a new character- or until an event allows the heroes to perhaps win back Hero A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we have Descent (fantasy punk), IA (Star Wars), Mansions of Madness (Cthulu), and soon a reimplementation of the original FFG dungeon crawl, Doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel super heroes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Qutu wrote:
I like the advancement of FFG's dungeon crawler series and they did a great job on their latest (?) one (SW:IA). When i think about further dungeon crawler the middle-earth and arkham horror files themes came up to my mind. Is that too devious?

Based on the licenses they have the one that comes to mind is X-Com, since the Battlescape always was the best bit of those games rather than the Geoscape that the current boardgame is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVboycanti wrote:
So we have Descent (fantasy punk), IA (Star Wars), Mansions of Madness (Cthulu), and soon a reimplementation of the original FFG dungeon crawl, Doom.

None of those are dungeon crawls. FFG's last real dungeon crawl game was Gears of War. Doom and Descent 1e are also dungeon crawls. Descent 2e and IA are tactical minis combat/race games with character advancement, and Mansions of Madness is a story-based puzzle game. The new Doom is a tactical skirmish game.

A true Cthulhu or LOTR dungeon crawl would make me soil myself with glee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Qutu wrote:

Based on the licenses they have the one that comes to mind is X-Com, since the Battlescape always was the best bit of those games rather than the Geoscape that the current boardgame is all about.

This! The only Battlescape-inspired rendition I've seen is a fan homebrew tile-layer here at BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.