GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Shogun Big Box» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Fun and Suprisingly intense game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Ketchersid
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after a much extended wait I finally got my kickstarter copy of Shogun in.

I convinced my normal game group to take a break from our normal fair and try this out. Needless to say it was great. Good enough I felt like it deserved a review.

I'll try to break this down as much as I can

Components: 4/5 The custom wooden tokens for the meeples, temples, castles and theaters are really nice. The cardboard tokens arn't quite as nice but usable and the cards are ok. The only real quibble I have is that the tower feels a bit cheap, the plastic base and funnel arn't made of very sturdy material and the fit to the base is a little off but it is still functional.

Theme: 3.5/5 This is a bit nit picky of me but I felt that while the game has a fairly strong theme, all of the pieces felt right and the play-style felt like it was pretty on key for the theme of "Rival Leaders in the Warring States Era". It also felt kind of generic, playing Tokugowa feels exactly the same as playing one of the other generals. I feel it could have been better to mix up the starting setups of each general a bit, or give them something unique to each.

Rule Clarity: 4/5 This is one of the most concise rule sets I've seen for a game like this. We were able to set up and play with no problems and any questions we had were an easy page flip to look up.

Fun: 5/5 We had a great time playing this, we had the full compliment of 5 players and played with the "recommended" setup (Sun Board, Assigned provinces and army locations). The first two rounds were the players feeling out what they could do and how the turns worked. We tend to joke around a lot when we play board games and in the beginning that was in full force with players laying out strategy's just to attempt to own the Province named Bingo, or taking Kii specifically since that was the location of TMNT III. But by the Fall round in year two the tension in the room was so thick you could cut it with a knife, no one spoke as we picked our actions, players constantly revised their placements in response to the covered spaces on others playboards, at the end we were all staring at each other hands steeped in front of our faces waiting for the shoe to drop. And when it finally did the end score came within two points of fourth place, with only one true outlier about 5 points behind.

Re playability: 4/5 I can see this game getting brought out quite a bit, with two different board setups, four different alternate expansions to put in and a basic drafting mechanic to randomize starting locations a bit it will see alot of replays at my table.

Summary: In total this game gets a 4/5 for my group. It's only got a few minor issues that I would like to see changed mostly in terms of some components being a little awkward. The battle tower was looked at with suspicion when it first came into play but by the end everyone loved it as an change from dice rolling, and this from a group of avid Pathfinder players is a big thing. The only real change I would kind of like is maybe having a bit of variation in the abilities of the different players, I am a big fan of Asynchronous Powers for player characters as it adds variety, and since each person is playing a different named Damiyo there is the perfect opportunity to add some variation by mixing up their abilities or starting armies or something. But that's a quibbling detail as the game plays fine as it is.

So I can say I would highly recommend this game for a group who is fond of strategy games, or resource management games .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
I recieved my big box last week aswel and we played shogun for the first time. And i was pleasently surprised how fun this game was. We played for 2 hours and it didn't seem that long at all. Glad i backed the big box and i'm curious what the expansions will add to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ketchersid
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the big box was the way to go, we didn't play with any of the expansions as we wanted the vanilla experience first. We'll probably rotate through them one at a time the next few times we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Etter
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to know if you ever got around to trying out the expansions. Cate to share your thoughts, either from experience or from reading over the rules, what your impression might be about what each one adds to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ketchersid
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I've overlooked responding to this for so long. While we have played a few more rounds of Shogun, we haven't incorporated the expansions yet. (mostly due to lack of time). But I can say from reading the rules, they are pretty straight forward, but, I wouldn't add more than one of them in a given round of play. They add some interesting thematic elements but also I fear them slowing down play. I do plan on using them, and at least once throwing them all in just to see what happens. I'll try to remember to post here when we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.