Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a single player game, if you are playing the basic game, you will have no network cards available in the first season. However, you still have to perform a burn after every turn. Presumably, in the first season only, you can ignore any burn symbols for network cards, correct? If you don't do that, you can easily lose the game in the first season.

In a 2 player game, there is no penalty described like in the single player game for a burn action that can't be resolved. While a lack of cards will eventually limit your actions, presumably you can continue doing whatever you have access to until all cards are burned and you have no shows left to attach stars/ads to with no penalty (other than losing a better spot on the budget track). It seems like there is very little incentive to drop/budget early in the first few seasons unless you are seriously starved for cash as you will give your opponent unlimited access to whatever is left. Is my interpretation of how burn works in a 2 player game correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're correct on the two-player game, though my experience is that the burn is pretty fast - after all, it gets quite a bit faster once the first player drops out.

But based on my experience, it's also very much not a problem. If there's good stuff left, then you want to pick it up; if not, you drop and budget and your opponent will get something, but the burn will make sure your opponent can't count on getting the exact thing they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
GunsTooMuch wrote:
In a single player game, if you are playing the basic game, you will have no network cards available in the first season. However, you still have to perform a burn after every turn. Presumably, in the first season only, you can ignore any burn symbols for network cards, correct? If you don't do that, you can easily lose the game in the first season.

I think the manual is worded a little funny.

Quote:
"If you have not revealed any Network Cards in Season 1 because you're playing the basic game, you will still need to reveal Network Cards for burns."

In my opinion, the word "reveal" should be "draw" in order for this sentence to make more sense.

So, to burn cards you need cards out. What I did for Season 1 was draw 4 Network Cards and placed them face down. Thus I couldn't use them and there was something to burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GunsTooMuch wrote:

Yes, if you're playing for the first time, you play without Network Cards in the first season, and disregard their symbols. Once you know the game, you should play with Network Cards in the first season.

Quote:
In a 2 player game, there is no penalty described like in the single player game for a burn action that can't be resolved. While a lack of cards will eventually limit your actions, presumably you can continue doing whatever you have access to until all cards are burned and you have no shows left to attach stars/ads to with no penalty (other than losing a better spot on the budget track). It seems like there is very little incentive to drop/budget early in the first few seasons unless you are seriously starved for cash as you will give your opponent unlimited access to whatever is left. Is my interpretation of how burn works in a 2 player game correct?

Keep in mind that when your opponent drops, you'll put a cube on the turn order wheel. That means you still have to do a burn every two turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! There goes my interpretation

Glad to have some clarification on that... Might have had a few more points if I had known to ignore the network card burn in season 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications. I'm glad I was playing it correctly...now I just need to win once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.