Clash of Giants II» Forums » Rules

Subject: My first game of CoGII Ypres rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the rule book has got me more confused now than when I started!

I have a couple of questions if someone can answer them:

* When bringing in new units (eg: turn 1) where do I place them on the map? It surely can't be just anywhere I want. Am I right in thinking that for the Allies it's bottom left and left side? Opposite for the Germans.

* The rule book explains that the number in the top right is the turn in which that unit comes in to play. But, for example, the German units in turn 1 have 1 and 1-A in the top right. What should I do with them?

* The A, B, and C chits go into a cup for pulling, but what if the Allies pull a German chit?

* Does Belgium take part in Ypres. The rule book doesn't mention it, but a help guide I downloaded did mention Belgium.

* What's a VP hex?

I wish the manual had more illustrations and examples. cry

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:

* When bringing in new units (eg: turn 1) where do I place them on the map? It surely can't be just anywhere I want. Am I right in thinking that for the Allies it's bottom left and left side? Opposite for the Germans.

* The rule book explains that the number in the top right is the turn in which that unit comes in to play. But, for example, the German units in turn 1 have 1 and 1-A in the top right. What should I do with them?

Explained in sections 6.0 and 7.0 of the battlebook.

"Allied supply sources are any hex on the south map edge, west of hex 4816 and any hex on the west map edge. German supply source hexes are any hexes on the south map edge, east of hex 4809 and any hex on the east map edge."

"If a particular zone is listed, the units must be placed in any supply source hex in that zone."

So a unit marked "1" would enter on any supply source hex for that side. A unit marked 1A would enter on any supply source hex in Zone A for that side.

ronnietucker wrote:

* The A, B, and C chits go into a cup for pulling, but what if the Allies pull a German chit?

Each turn a different player pulls chits from the cup, but as each chit is drawn, whichever players chit is pulled takes their activation.

So on turn one, the German player pulls a chit and whoever is on that chit activates. Then the German player pulls another chit and whoever is on that chit activates. This is repeated until all chits are pulled.

On turn two, all chits go back in the cup. The Allied player pulls a chit and whoever is on that chit activates. Then the Allied player pulls another chit and whoever is on that chit activates. This is repeated until all chits are pulled.

On turn three, back to the German's pulling the chits, and so on.

ronnietucker wrote:

* Does Belgium take part in Ypres. The rule book doesn't mention it, but a help guide I downloaded did mention Belgium.

Yes Belgium takes part in Ypres. They do not start on the map as they all come on later as reinforcements.

ronnietucker wrote:

* What's a VP hex?

Check the map key on the map. There is a red star on all VP hexes.

ronnietucker wrote:

Thanks!

The manual is very barebones, typical for wargames, but stick with it. The game is great and worth the effort to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:

Explained in sections 6.0 and 7.0 of the battlebook.

"Allied supply sources are any hex on the south map edge, west of hex 4816 and any hex on the west map edge. German supply source hexes are any hexes on the south map edge, east of hex 4809 and any hex on the east map edge."

"If a particular zone is listed, the units must be placed in any supply source hex in that zone."

So a unit marked "1" would enter on any supply source hex for that side. A unit marked 1A would enter on any supply source hex in Zone A for that side.

ronnietucker wrote:

Each turn a different player pulls chits from the cup, but as each chit is drawn, whichever players chit is pulled takes their activation.

So on turn one, the German player pulls a chit and whoever is on that chit activates. Then the German player pulls another chit and whoever is on that chit activates. This is repeated until all chits are pulled.

On turn two, all chits go back in the cup. The Allied player pulls a chit and whoever is on that chit activates. Then the Allied player pulls another chit and whoever is on that chit activates. This is repeated until all chits are pulled.

On turn three, back to the German's pulling the chits, and so on.

ronnietucker wrote:

Yes Belgium takes part in Ypres. They do not start on the map as they all come on later as reinforcements.

ronnietucker wrote:

* What's a VP hex?

Check the map key on the map. There is a red star on all VP hexes.

ronnietucker wrote:

Thanks!

The manual is very barebones, typical for wargames, but stick with it. The game is great and worth the effort to learn.

Thanks for the answers reverendunclebastard.

I didn't realise that the player pulls all the chits per turn. Thanks for clarifying that. I did notice the back and forth per turn though. If nothing else.

I definitely want to give it a fair shot. I'll need to read through the rules again a couple of times for it to all sink in. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:

Thanks for the answers reverendunclebastard.

I didn't realise that the player pulls all the chits per turn. Thanks for clarifying that. I did notice the back and forth per turn though. If nothing else.

I definitely want to give it a fair shot. I'll need to read through the rules again a couple of times for it to all sink in. blush

No problem! I would suggest that you set the game up and just play through it once even if the rules haven't all sunk in. With many wargames it takes a few plays to get everything right. Running through an actual game (or even just a few turns), with the pieces on the map and the rulebook in front of you will often make things a lot clearer.

Once you have had a quick play of the game (or at least part of it), head back to the rules forums and read other peoples questions, then do another read of the rules. At that point it should start making sense, at least most of it. And don't worry if it takes a few plays to get it all down. Don't make the mistake of losing yourself in the rulebook for too long without putting the map and counters on the table, it really helps the learning process to have everything out and in its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Definitely sound advice. I've got everything set for a couple of (solo) games this weekend.

I have one other question though: for operations is it; all chits drawn, then all movements, then all combat, or is it; chit, movement, combat... chit, movement, combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad. Just realised it's all chit and movement with one combat in there somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.