Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of questions:

1. Can small arms fire cause a AFV to become buttoned-up/Commander Killed at a range other than RR5?

2. Can a sniper card be played on a open-topped AFV?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes to both questions.

28.43 BUTTONED UP:
Any other AFV whose Morale defense value is equaled or exceeded by any attack becomes Buttoned Up when it is flipped over. An AFV which Buttons Up remains Buttoned Up for the duration of the scenario (barring play of a Hero card) whether it Buttons Up voluntarily or due to enemy fire. A Buttoned Up AFV functions normally in all respects, but tends to have poorer accuracy, firepower, and mobility qualities as a consequence. An AFV starts CE. Should it wish to Button Up voluntarily, it must expend an Action doing so.

28.431 COMMANDER KILLED:

If the AFV's MORALE defense value is <= the final attack result number, the AFV merely Buttons Up or is Pinned as stated in [28.4]. If, however, the final attack result number is also >= the Crew Exposed (CE) value (or a Sniper KIA has occurred), the AFV commander has been killed and the AFV suffers other penalties in addition to being Pinned/Buttoned Up. Place a Commander Killed chit on the AFV card. Henceforth, that ordnance will have its To Hit frequency and Overrun strength reduced by one, and any non-ordnance attack it makes will suffer a reduction of one to its Fire Strength.

An OT AFV may conceivably suffer a Commander Killed result more than once because when it is rallied it is again CE. Should such an AFV suffer a second Commander Killed result, flip the Commander Killed chit over to the "2 Crew Killed" side. Its To Hit frequency is reduced by two, and any non-ordnance attack it makes will suffer a reduction of two to its Fire Strength. If an OT AFV suffers a third Commander Killed result it is eliminated.
Each Commander Killed result on an AFV also serves as a one column shift to the left when checking for infiltration against an AFV.

14.31 VS AFV:

A Sniper which scores a Pinned result on an AFV forces that AFV to Button Up [28.43] (or flip to its Pinned side in the case of an Open Topped AFV). A Sniper which scores a KIA result on an AFV not only forces that AFV to button up or flip to its Pinned side, but also places a Commander Killed chit on the AFV [28.431].

(Edited per Richard's comment below)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I thought so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gre81 wrote:
A couple of questions:

1. Can small arms fire cause a AFV to become buttoned-up/Commander Killed at a range other than RR5?

Yes.

I think you are confusing this with the rule 28.7 where every man has inherent boxed FP of 1 vs. Open Topped AFV at RR5. Which apply vs. the Armor/Flank i,s,k values.

Quote:
2. Can a sniper card be played on a open-topped AFV?

Sniper can attack any AFV that is not buttoned up/pinned (14.2) (aka has CE value showing.)

The rule Bryan quoted should be > and <. Equaling the Morale or CE values is enough to Button Up/Pin or get a Commander KIA result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Richard. I was hoping you'd chime in. I copy/pasted from the Up Front windows help file. It has quite a few typo's like that and I should have double checked it before posting. My apologies....I don't like being the one to post incorrect rules....I will edit the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.