$15.00
$5.00
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Fangorn is my name according to some, Treebeard others make it. Treebeard will do."

Hoom, so you want to know more about the differences between Treebeard in Warriors of Middle-earth and Treebeard in Lords of Middle-earth, do you? Do not be hasty!
All will be revealed when you hold the game in your - hoom, not in your branches, no, but in your - what are they called - ah, yes,
hands.

Oh, you are still here, are you? You are a hasty folk it seems. Very well - here is what we know so far about the eldest of Ents.

I don't know about you, but one thing I've been curious about for a little while now is the difference between 'Warrior Treebeard' and 'Lord Treebeard'. With the release of the rulebook today we've now got something to go on, especially since the full text of the Treebeard card is printed in the components list.

So, a few observations, for those who might find them handy:

(1) Most of the text on Treebeard's card is the same as his Lords of Middle-earth version.
In other words, he hasn't been radically redesigned for the new expansion. (Hoom! That would be hasty.)

(2) Treebeard is easier to get into play now.
Treebeard still needs Gandalf the White to be in play, and a Companion to be in Fangorn, in order to enter play, but he can now appear as a result of a Recruit Faction die result as well as a Muster result.
Since 4 of the 6 Faction Die faces have a Recruit Faction symbol on them, you've now got more opportunities to get Treebeard into play, and there's also less of an opportunity cost to playing Treebeard (since you don't necessarily have to forgo a Muster result).

(3) Treebeard's changed his walk.
Lord Treebeard's card had a section that read:
Treebeard is Level 2 after you use any "The Ents Awake" Event Card or Combat Card effect, once he is in play.
"The Ents Awake" cards have been replaced by new event cards in Warriors of Middle-earth (which makes sense, seeing as the Ents are now a faction on the board). Warrior Treebeard's card replaces the above text with:
Treebeard is Level 2 after you use any "March of the Ents" Event Card, or a Call to Battle effect for the Ents.
"March of the Ents" is the Faction Event card which allows the Ents to move and attack, and the Call to Battle effect for the Ents can be triggered by an Ent being in the same region as - or in an adjacent region to - a defending army.
So a slight change, but one which preserves the feeling of the earlier version: Treebeard becomes a mobile Companion whenever the Ents become roused and engage in the War of the Ring.

That's it, in terms of differences between Lord and Warrior Treebeards' cards.

It might not seem like much, but I think there are a few subtle changes to Treebeard's role (and to what he can contribute) in Warriors of Middle-earth.

The main one of these is that the Ents faction is instantly eliminated the moment that no Companion (or the Fellowship) is in Fangorn. This essentially means that to keep the Ents and their powerful combat abilities in play, you need to keep one of your Companions away from the action and in Fangorn. Since Treebeard counts as a Companion, recruiting him (now easier, and less costly, than in Lords of Middle-earth) frees up your forest-visiting Companion to spread the good word to the rest of Middle-earth.

Now we haven't seen all the Faction Event cards or Call To Battle cards for the Ents, and previously I thought that Treebeard might find further chances to shine through those cards. That's still possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if his main benefit is to help keep the Ents in play.
This is simply because Treebeard doesn't seem to be integral to the expansion or its gameplay: no figure is included for Treebeard, and so it seems that he remains an optional extra for people who have the promo/proxy a figure.
This might seem like a moot (hoom!) point, but if there were going to be cards which explicitly referenced him, I would have expected a figure to be present. (Though Ent-specific cards which reference having 'a Companion' in the vicinity are still a possibility for Treebeard-based action.)

So there we have it - until we've got the game in our bark-free fingers, it looks like Treebeard's got a boost in usefulness by helping to keep the Ent faction in play (without needing to hold back one of the Fellowship's Companions), and is easier to get into play - but other than that, he seems to be the same Treebeard as he's always been. Which is a very Entish thing indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you probably lose the ability to play multiple character cards from your hand, which at times was quite powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article! A fun read, I have great expectations. I can't wait for this to show up in my mail box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urs Schaefer-Rolffs
msg tools
Breothain wrote:
So a slight change, but one which preserves the feeling of the earlier version: Treebeard becomes a mobile Companion whenever the Ents become roused and engage in the War of the Ring.

The main one of these is that the Ents faction is instantly eliminated the moment that no Companion (or the Fellowship) is in Fangorn. This essentially means that to keep the Ents and their powerful combat abilities in play, you need to keep one of your Companions away from the action and in Fangorn. Since Treebeard counts as a Companion, recruiting him (now easier, and less costly, than in Lords of Middle-earth) frees up your forest-visiting Companion to spread the good word to the rest of Middle-earth.

Now we haven't seen all the Faction Event cards or Call To Battle cards for the Ents, and previously I thought that Treebeard might find further chances to shine through those cards. That's still possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if his main benefit is to help keep the Ents in play.

So there we have it - until we've got the game in our bark-free fingers, it looks like Treebeard's got a boost in usefulness by helping to keep the Ent faction in play (without needing to hold back one of the Fellowship's Companions), and is easier to get into play - but other than that, he seems to be the same Treebeard as he's always been. Which is a very Entish thing indeed.

Is it really the case that Treebeard counts as a Companion? Because the exact wording of Treebeard's Character Card, according to the rulebook is: Treebeard counts as a Companion for all Event and Combat Cards purposes if he is in Fangorn or a Rohan region. But the restricions for of the Ent faction is given on the Ent Reference Card, and not related to an Event or Combat Card.

So, I'd like to know whether Treebeard is a valid Companion for the Ent faction, or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bain
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I'm very disappointed that they are not including a Treebeard figure. I missed out on the Treebeard promo ages ago when it came out and now they are releasing this expansion expecting you to have a copy of Treebeard already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jonsbane wrote:
I'm very disappointed that they are not including a Treebeard figure. I missed out on the Treebeard promo ages ago when it came out and now they are releasing this expansion expecting you to have a copy of Treebeard already!

It's rare that you will get all eight Ents on the board, so painting one in gun metal (or putting a counter under it) and calling it Treebeard will do the trick. (The inclusion of an expansion-appropriate Character card almost bridges the gap between the promo-ed and the promo-less, but I realize that 'almost' isn't the same as having the extra Ent figure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
You can't have enough Ents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USR2504 wrote:
Breothain wrote:

Is it really the case that Treebeard counts as a Companion? Because the exact wording of Treebeard's Character Card, according to the rulebook is: Treebeard counts as a Companion for all Event and Combat Cards purposes if he is in Fangorn or a Rohan region. But the restricions for of the Ent faction is given on the Ent Reference Card, and not related to an Event or Combat Card.

So, I'd like to know whether Treebeard is a valid Companion for the Ent faction, or not?

Why don't you write to Ares Games? Maybe, if the print isn't out, they have still time to clarify that before a FAQ. Or clarify it in the rulebook anyway, for future reprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.