Subject: The Force is with them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_579f7a8ae4b0693164c1ef12?s...

Some are claiming that what was once a joke could affect government allocation of resources etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured this was going to be another rape thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Why not just petition the government to understand jokes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
May the farce be with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
As my wife points out, they need not be people who are atheists. They might (assuming not serious) be people who are pranksters of whatever religion, people who just don't wish that kind of info to be on the census, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

They do understand jokes, which is why they classify it as "Not Defined". They know you aren't a Jedi, but they don't know what you actually are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
damiangerous wrote:
rinelk wrote:

They do understand jokes, which is why they classify it as "Not Defined". They know you aren't a Jedi, but they don't know what you actually are.

Right, but if they're allocating funds, they should probably treat that category as very similar to "no religion". So if the atheists have anything to worry about, the government is probably taking "not defined" to mean something like "other religious".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
rinelk wrote:

Right, but if they're allocating funds, they should probably treat that category as very similar to "no religion". So if the atheists have anything to worry about, the government is probably taking "not defined" to mean something like "other religious".

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. They can't treat the "Other" category as similar to "No Religion". There's already a No Religion option and that Other option is supposed to be for religious people whose denomination doesn't appear. You can see the census question here. They break out six denominations of Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. That's it. They don't even have a check box for Judaism! Jedis and Jews are checking the same box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

I find your lack of faith...disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Really? You expected something other than a "I am persecuted by the very existence of religion" thread? Your pay-attention-o-meter must be on the fritz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
damiangerous wrote:
rinelk wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
rinelk wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. They can't treat the "Other" category as similar to "No Religion". There's already a No Religion option and that Other option is supposed to be for religious people whose denomination doesn't appear. You can see the census question here. They break out six denominations of Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. That's it. They don't even have a check box for Judaism! Jedis and Jews are checking the same box.

I've bolded the bits which suggest that there's a problem. If someone makes a joke of religion, assuming they're religious seems to me like failing to get the joke. They are at the very least not people who take declarations of religion seriously; for public policy purposes, that probably means most of them are best served by the policies which are appropriate for the non-religious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Really? You expected something other than a "I am persecuted by the very existence of religion" thread? Your pay-attention-o-meter must be on the fritz.

Umm, that's not what this thread is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

An article about an atheist whining because a joke is keeping Australia from seeming as atheist as it really is? No, that's pretty much exactly what this thread is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Dude, put the crack pipe up on the shelf. The thread has nothing to do with being persecuted by the existence of religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More on this:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/unholy-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

An article about an atheist whining because a joke is keeping Australia from seeming as atheist as it really is? No, that's pretty much exactly what this thread is.

"Please answer the census correctly without screwing around so we can get accurate data that helps everyone."

"HELP, HELP I'm being repressed!!! Why do you hate religion??!"

Damn dude, I hate proselytizing atheists, but this is about as calm and rational as someone can be while being atheist and public. This is what people mean when they say Christians react to losing utter dominance by acting as if they're being fed to lions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
jonb wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Dude, put the crack pipe up on the shelf. The thread has nothing to do with being persecuted by the existence of religion.

Huh--I can see GameCrossing's view that it does. Funding decisions which benefit religion entirely independent of the doctrine or practice of religion seem like there's not much other than the mere existence of religion to find problematic.

I can also see the view that, for this to be the thread he was thinking it would be, someone would have had to sound bitter before now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
jonb wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Huh--I can see GameCrossing's view that it does. Funding decisions which benefit religion entirely independent of the doctrine or practice of religion seem like there's not much other than the mere existence of religion to find problematic.

I can also see the view that, for this to be the thread he was thinking it would be, someone would have had to sound bitter before now.

Could you give me a concrete example of how an atheist or agnostic checking off "no religion" on a census form can in any way be construed as a persecution of the religious ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
jonb wrote:
Could you give me a concrete example of how an atheist or agnostic checking off "no religion" on a census form can in any way be construed as a persecution of the religious ?

"Persecution" is a tad exaggerated, but it could be an attempt to shift governmental priorities such that the non-religious gain privileges or support which the religious lose. It's exactly what the Australian atheists created this campaign to prevent for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
So, uh...

Anyone care for the thoughts of actual Australians? Atheist Australians at that? There may be one or two around here...

Religion is not a big thing here. Broadly speaking, either you are rather fervent, or you just don't care much (and the not really caring much applies to believers). The majority is the latter. And despite what our media says, our immigrants aren't very noisy or pushy about their religion, either (with the exception of some entirely predictable American imports who are noted for their bicycles, briefcases, and ties).

People get more wound up about the doing the census than the damned religion question. This is a media beat-up on a slow news day, and will be entirely forgotten here in the next few days because of the country's obsession with sport. Now that's what Australians believe in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They might be people who realy admire and aspire to achieve the values of Jedisim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
JasonJ0 wrote:
So, uh...

Anyone care for the thoughts of actual Australians? Atheist Australians at that? There may be one or two around here...

Religion is not a big thing here. Broadly speaking, either you are rather fervent, or you just don't care much (and the not really caring much applies to believers). The majority is the latter. And despite what our media says, our immigrants aren't very noisy or pushy about their religion, either (with the exception of some entirely predictable American imports who are noted for their bicycles, briefcases, and ties).

People get more wound up about the doing the census than the damned religion question. This is a media beat-up on a slow news day, and will be entirely forgotten here in the next few days because of the country's obsession with sport. Now that's what Australians believe in...

Tell me about it. I like a good game of football as much as the next person but honestly who gives a flying fuck who won the last State or Origin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
They might be people who realy admire and aspire to achieve the values of Jedisim.

Like Disney shareholders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Like Disney shareholders?
I was thinking more of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorean_subculture

And other weirdo attempts to create a sub culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
rinelk wrote:
jonb wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Someone checking "No Religion" is not an issue at all for me. But that's not what the article is about, is it? It's about someone bemoaning Australia not looking as atheist as it really is. His own comments. THAT is what the article is about. People choosing to check whatever they will, but the results of that not satisfying those who need moar atheismses. And then you chase it with "And this affects public policy." Put all that in context of how often your threads are about bemoaning the religious, and I stand firmly by my assertion of what this thread is, as well as wondering how anyone could expect a thread from you to be anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.