7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: NAME THAT OTHER GAME rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi, the OP of the other thread said he was down with people posting their games in it if they needed a name for them. I posted this one of mine, but seems to have went unnoticed. Anyway:

Quote:

UNTITLED 8-WAY CONNECTION GAME

Number of Players: 2

Setup/Board Description: Square Grid. The North and South edges are owned by Player 1, and the East and West edges are owned by Player 2. Corners are shared.

Pieces: Pawns (bases) and sticks (connections)

Board Sizes and Play Times:
15 min - 11x11
30 min - 16x16
60 min - 22x22

Overview:
Each player tries to connect their edges of the board by placing bases and connecting them together.

Each turn:
* A player places a base on ANY empty space on the board.
* Then connects it to all their adjacent bases in the eight adjoining squares, unless it would cross an opponent's connection.
(The point of this is to keep track of connections across diagonals.)

Win condition: A player connects their two edges of the board.

Pie rule (optional, this rule nullifies the 1st player's inherent advantage): After the first move is made, the second player has one of two options:

1) Letting the move stand, in which case the second player remains the second player and moves immediately, or

2) Switching places, in which case the second player becomes the first-moving player, and the "new" second player then makes their "first" move. (I.e., the game proceeds from the opening move already made, but with roles reversed.)

Name ideas I've already gotten from Harv Veerman:
Webs
Worms
Wriggle
Meandering
The Olde Bucket Brigade <—Like this one

Corry Damey noted it's somewhat reminiscent of Legend of Landlock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept makes me think of competing cable companies stringing up their wires on poles, so I'd call it Utility Futility.

It also sounds like Twixt or BRIDG-IT, but also makes me think of the old game show Blockbusters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Thanks thumbsup

I was thinking, what about "Spider Conga"? The bases could be the spider's bodies, and the connections are their legs, and you try to make a conga line of spiders!

Edit: Other animals to consider: Crabs and Octopuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go Steampunkish where the bases are gears and the connections are belts or chains that transfer the motion from one to the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wagner
United States
Cleveland Hts.,
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Pawns and Planks

Boards and Bases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Connect 8 (or maybe Connectate to avoid problems)

Maybe it's about two coral reefs growing and it's called Competing Corals? (That would give you pretty components)

Calling it 'Crabs' is probably a bad idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you're going for a particular theme or if it's going to be an abstract. Some of these names might work for both:

Cardinal
Traject
Cardinal Trek
Compass Roads (like 'rose' but not...)
Crossroads

Some of the names have an idea of a hiking or trail blazing theme. While Cardinal and Traject could work for an abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.