Subject: Stuff trickling onto ebay from GenCon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well you can take a look at what the new classes look like. The price would burn you though. Looks like the Edge of the Abyss supplement is growing dread cards. They also have a resin mini of the Grand Shaman, which I think is cool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pity there ain't no new enemies for Cynder. Sand Kraken looks awesome though, as well as the Frontier Doc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty steep price point, but Im sure there are those willing to pay. Luckily I have a connection at GenCon that picked up what I wanted to get. Cool to see this stuff available finally!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
The price would burn you though.
No surprise there, the Mine Cart was an astounding deal, buying the supplements post KS is going to cost a fortune! They've mentioned that the costs were far higher then they anticipated.
njep wrote:
Looks like the Edge of the Abyss supplement is growing dread cards.
So, that's what it is. At least we know its something new. Looks like that's the only non-Mine Cart item at the show.
njep wrote:
They also have a resin mini of the Grand Shaman, which I think is cool?
I'm not a big fan of the resin they use since it's hard to get primer to stick. Though I finally found one that works ok. But the details are much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Am I seeing things or is the Cowboy the former President of the NRA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Word on the street is there is also a grand magus resin there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is Edge of the Abyss brand new stuff, not in minecart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjorn2bwild wrote:

There's a pic of him on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:

Yes, it's 10 new growing dread cards. (Pretty happy about this one. I'm a little tired of the same ol' Dread cards.)

The only other non-MC items are resin models for Scafford lieutenants, serpent master shaman, and master void sorcerer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jomurph86 wrote:
rbeall88 wrote:

Yes, it's 10 new growing dread cards. (Pretty happy about this one. I'm a little tired of the same ol' Dread cards.)

The only other non-MC items are resin models for Scafford lieutenants, serpent master shaman, and master void sorcerer.

Considering I go out of my way to nix the growing dread cards by spending the grit, I'm not sure what to make of it. I would say that I have one growing dread card come into play per 5 missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I can't count the times one of our characters vomited themselves to death before the boss showdown gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Asurin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
bjorn2bwild wrote:

Can't find him for some reason, even in the sold listings on US ebay.
Did you save the photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asurin wrote:
ScottE wrote:
bjorn2bwild wrote:

Did you save the photo?

Ops, got them confused. There is a Grand Shaman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
jomurph86 wrote:
rbeall88 wrote:

Considering I go out of my way to nix the growing dread cards by spending the grit, I'm not sure what to make of it. I would say that I have one growing dread card come into play per 5 missions.

I like it. I also cancel them whenever possible, but it's not always possible (certainly not 4 out of 5 games!). I hope the new ones are extra dreadful. The current set only has one that's worth worrying about, unless the darkness track is really low. And, I also hope they aren't just doubling down on making darkness run out faster.

Aside: I've been thinking about taking all the current Growing Dread cards that move the darkness track and changing them to cards that are more interesting, AND that have different effects depending on what Otherworld is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure we need more growing dread cards, unless the new ones allow you to customize the severity of them, or allow you to choose some subset of them. If they are just intended to put more cards in the deck, I feel like I have way more than enough cards already.

I like that they are doing more monsters, and I'm intrigued by the Trederra world and the spaceship interior especially, but I already have more monsters than I have introduced into my game until I am more skilled. So I can wait till I can buy them at more reasonable prices.

I'm more tempted by the alternate character classes. I would like to see more of them played (YouTube videos?) especially the spell casting classes which seem more trouble than they are worth on the surface. The other classes can just act normally without fear of backlash or spell failure etc. Maybe it all works out, but I'd like to see that done to convince me.

Also, I'm not sure if this thought has occurred to anyone else, but I can't help but think about the "monsters" that we kill in an encounter. It's one thing to kill a bunch of void spiders and not have much of an expectation of what they might be "carrying" in terms of treasure. But if you're up against a humanoid with armor, clothing, weapons, and other gear, it seems annoying to not be able to loot THOSE items. Especially when some of them are in the artifact decks. Why wait to get a Trederran shotgun when the guy you just killed was carrying one (indeed when there were 5 of them and they ALL had that gun). Part of the joy of RPGs if figuring out how to use the stuff your enemy was just using on you! At the very least, gear farming is a way that new characters fund their adventures. It's rarely huge treasure hordes.

If you think about it, gear farming the outlaws would make a town adventure potentially VERY profitable, or at least somewhat profitable relative to a mine adventure. Maybe there should be a list somewhere that shows what gear is on "intelligent" adversaries that you could take instead of drawing gear cards for that battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'm not sure we need more growing dread cards, unless the new ones allow you to customize the severity of them, or allow you to choose some subset of them. If they are just intended to put more cards in the deck, I feel like I have way more than enough cards already.

Well, I like the Growing Dread concept, but I guess my point was that the current batch of cards implement the mechanic in a fairly boring way. I'm hoping this new set of cards will spice it up a bit.

Also, somebody said in another thread that they are designed to replace the current set, instead of just add to it (although you can also just mix them together).

Quote:
if you're up against a humanoid with armor, clothing, weapons, and other gear, it seems annoying to not be able to loot THOSE items.

Yeah, it's annoying, but I think it's a suspension of disbelief issue. The game would need to be completely rebalanced if you could loot all that stuff. A single encounter with outlaws would be gold mine and would break the town game.

Some of it can be explained away. Like the Undead Outlaws are using "ghost" pistols, let's say. Or the Trun Hunters have guns that are genetically coded to their body so nobody else can fire them, etc. But regular outlaws with regular guns aren't subject to this kind of theorizing. And why can't a I pick up a Trederran sword or a Serpentman shield....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

I like that they are doing more monsters, and I'm intrigued by the Trederra world and the spaceship interior especially, but I already have more monsters than I have introduced into my game until I am more skilled. So I can wait till I can buy them at more reasonable prices.

I'm more tempted by the alternate character classes. I would like to see more of them played (YouTube videos?) especially the spell casting classes which seem more trouble than they are worth on the surface. The other classes can just act normally without fear of backlash or spell failure etc. Maybe it all works out, but I'd like to see that done to convince me.

Also, I'm not sure if this thought has occurred to anyone else, but I can't help but think about the "monsters" that we kill in an encounter. It's one thing to kill a bunch of void spiders and not have much of an expectation of what they might be "carrying" in terms of treasure. But if you're up against a humanoid with armor, clothing, weapons, and other gear, it seems annoying to not be able to loot THOSE items. Especially when some of them are in the artifact decks. Why wait to get a Trederran shotgun when the guy you just killed was carrying one (indeed when there were 5 of them and they ALL had that gun). Part of the joy of RPGs if figuring out how to use the stuff your enemy was just using on you! At the very least, gear farming is a way that new characters fund their adventures. It's rarely huge treasure hordes.

If you think about it, gear farming the outlaws would make a town adventure potentially VERY profitable, or at least somewhat profitable relative to a mine adventure. Maybe there should be a list somewhere that shows what gear is on "intelligent" adversaries that you could take instead of drawing gear cards for that battle.

I never really liked the idea of grabbing all the pistols, shirts, boots, etc. to sell in town. I just can't picture any old west characters after a shootout picking the bodies clean and then heading to the local shop to make some money, and you'd probably have to clean the blood off of the clothes first anyways. I like the idea of unique items even if it is just a very well made pistol or gun belt. I mean the shops have essentially an unlimited supply of guns, so I'm not too sure why they'd buy a used one from you anyways.

That's just my opinion, but the only thing I'm taking from the corpses behind me is what I can fit in my pockets, unless it's nice and shiny.

And the big thing about the Alien guns is, they are fine and all, but where are you going to get the unlimited supply of ammo? Unless you get a Trun blacksmith. I'm assuming they don't use regular ammo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Serkowski
Poland
GdaƄsk
flag msg tools
asurin wrote:
ScottE wrote:
bjorn2bwild wrote:

Did you save the photo?

New Foto Void Magus from Ebay .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Asurin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a photo of him assembled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I never really liked the idea of grabbing all the pistols, shirts, boots, etc. to sell in town. I just can't picture any old west characters after a shootout picking the bodies clean and then heading to the local shop to make some money, and you'd probably have to clean the blood off of the clothes first anyways. I like the idea of unique items even if it is just a very well made pistol or gun belt. I mean the shops have essentially an unlimited supply of guns, so I'm not too sure why they'd buy a used one from you anyways.

That's just my opinion, but the only thing I'm taking from the corpses behind me is what I can fit in my pockets, unless it's nice and shiny.

And the big thing about the Alien guns is, they are fine and all, but where are you going to get the unlimited supply of ammo? Unless you get a Trun blacksmith. I'm assuming they don't use regular ammo.

Even if you don't like the idea of "gear mining", what are the chances that you wouldn't pick up a gun better than the one you were using from the dead "opposition," especially if it was an option to do so instead of picking a random loot card?

Plus sometimes it's not a matter of having a bunch of such things. In the beginning of an adventure the saloon girl doesn't have a melee weapon, despite the fact that she is a melee character! She would certainly pick up the first decent one she found. Or a gunfighter might want an additional handgun (even a normal one) for use when dual wielding is called for (say against void spiders).

Plus getting your gear that way is much more immersive than merely picking a loot card. "Wow, that void spider was carrying the Judge, cool but I wonder why that could be." Isn't it more likely to pick a Trederran gun up from a Trederran who just used it to shoot at you?

You could have an equipment list for each enemy that you could use to select an item INSTEAD of drawing a normal loot card. I don't see that as game breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
njep wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Even if you don't like the idea of "gear mining", what are the chances that you wouldn't pick up a gun better than the one you were using from the dead "opposition," especially if it was an option to do so instead of picking a random loot card?

Plus sometimes it's not a matter of having a bunch of such things. In the beginning of an adventure the saloon girl doesn't have a melee weapon, despite the fact that she is a melee character! She would certainly pick up the first decent one she found. Or a gunfighter might want an additional handgun (even a normal one) for use when dual wielding is called for (say against void spiders).

Plus getting your gear that way is much more immersive than merely picking a loot card. "Wow, that void spider was carrying the Judge, cool but I wonder why that could be." Isn't it more likely to pick a Trederran gun up from a Trederran who just used it to shoot at you?

You could have an equipment list for each enemy that you could use to select an item INSTEAD of drawing a normal loot card. I don't see that as game breaking.

I've been toying around with the idea of flipping the usage of the loot deck with the usage of the scavenge deck. I always thought for non human encounters that you would be picking the bones of the previous adventurers. Especially when you find whiskey, maps, etc. Some of the tiles like dusty crates have this built in.

I think it might be reasonable to find Trederran weaponry etc, but that you should limit the usages to represent how much ammo was on the Trederran. I suppose it does make a lot more sense that a bandit has a pistol on him instead of 250 dollars worth of gold.

I'm also not too sure about a barter system. For me selling items is kind of rare and most of the time that it happens it is a rareish item that I don't have the need for. There are the odd pistols here and there, but not too often.

Now that you mention it, it might be pretty cool to have drops like that. Maybe everytime you encounter a Trederran, you get the pistol, but only 2d6 ammo after the fight. After that you would go Trederran hunting to get more ammo. It makes sense since we already have things like the darkstone brutes and the darkstone hydra that drop darkstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asurin wrote:
I found a photo of him assembled

Wow, he looks amazing! Very grand. I have a friend picking me up one and glad I did since he'll look much better then just using the token.

Hope you don't mind me blowing him up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
jomurph86 wrote:
rbeall88 wrote:

I thought Serpent Master Shaman was Minecart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
jomurph86 wrote:
rbeall88 wrote:

I thought Serpent Master Shaman was Minecart?

This is the elite version of the Serpentman Shaman. There is a special card that represents a unique Shaman(or Void Sorcerer) and you are supposed to just use the normal figure that all backers get. This figure gives you a unique sculpt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.