Subject: Thoughts on a "Homebrew" Upgrade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's been a while since I've sifted through the upgrade stickers. Am I remembering rightly that there are blank ones included so you can make your own? If so, I had an idea for one today that I tried out just to see how it would work out and thought I'd share. In fact, I'd appreciate any input you worthy folks might provide.

I found myself wondering how much it might change the game to draw 3 cards instead of 2 at the Draw & Buy phase. I played one game like this with 2 runners each drawing 3 cards each turn. The game was pretty easy on the overall difficulty scale this game has, but I'm not sure whether that was from the card draws or because it was an easier game than most.

At any rate, I liked the extra draw. It definitely opened things up a bit. So the real questions that remain: How much should an upgrade like this cost (Or is this one that's already in the game anyway)? and perhaps most importantly, what do I call it? (It needs a cool name! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat idea. As to name...

Multitasking?
Steroids? (Because you are getting quicker access to more of your abilities without needing to rest as much)
Adrenaline Shot? (Same idea)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's already a similar but weaker version of this upgrade and it's one of the more costly ones.

Show-Off 45 karma

When you draw cards during the Draw & Buy phase draw 1 extra card, then discard 1 card.

Card draw on the existing upgrades always has either a conditional trigger or a cost of some sort sometimes both. Perhaps maybe it triggers only if you have obstacles facing you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to "show-off" it seems that 90 karma would be fair price. And even then very powerfull upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of always allowing you to draw 3 cards all of the time, (which could be overpowered from time to time) how about modifying the Draw & Buy Cards rule to give you a minimum hand size of 4 cards? So if you end your turn w/2 or 3 cards in hand you would still draw 2, but if you played all of your cards you'd draw 4.

This would prevent those turns where you've only got 2 or 3 cards in hand, which is what the real problem is (a lack of options) while still keeping the game's original design of never having more than 5 cards at the start of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
Instead of always allowing you to draw 3 cards all of the time, (which could be overpowered from time to time) how about modifying the Draw & Buy Cards rule to give you a minimum hand size of 4 cards? So if you end your turn w/2 or 3 cards in hand you would still draw 2, but if you played all of your cards you'd draw 4.

This would prevent those turns where you've only got 2 or 3 cards in hand, which is what the real problem is (a lack of options) while still keeping the game's original design of never having more than 5 cards at the start of your turn.

Why would I ever not exhaust my entire hand if I knew I could replenish to 4 cards every turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was just a suggestion for something to try. You're always going to run into situations where you've got 1 or 2 cards in your hand and can't play them. I suppose that if they're just Basic cards then yes you would just always burn them so that you could draw 2 more cards and cycle through your deck more quickly.

But there are definitely times where you would want to sit on a card:
- You want to hold Icon Grab card b/c you didn't play any other hacking cards this turn.
- You want to hold onto Clairvoyance b/c you know the next player can clear a 3-Gray level but won't be able to clear the final Blue level.
- You want to hold onto Negotiation to help another player buy their 9 cost card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.