Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavaet: I have not played the game, but I have just unboxed it, read the rules, and ran through how it played.

Setup: Pre-assign someone as the forensics scientist (FS). Set up the clue/means cards as normal, but do not discard the cards in front of the FS, leave them out.

Shuffle 2 investigator and one murderer card together. Deal them out to the other players. Discard the remaining card (or I guess the FS can look at it, it doesn't matter but don't show the other players). This means there is a chance one of the investigators is the murderer, but also a chance they are not. Run through the spiel. If neither investigator is the murderer, the FS still does that part of the spiel, but they select a clue and means card in front of themself. The FS is still working with the investigators (even if they are the 'murderer').

Play the rest of the game per the rules (the FS still does not get to speak, nor gets a vote).

The FS and the investigators win if the investigators successfully guess the means/clue. The murderer (or lack of murderer) wins if they do not.

This variant could also be played with 4/5 players ... it would be tricky with more, but possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
The minimum playercount for this game (in my opinion) is 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
The minimum playercount for this game (in my opinion) is 6.

The rules currently allow for 4/5 players, or are you saying those games are not very good?

What does that have to do with this variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
While the variant might work, I'm simply saying that I'd never play this game at 4 or 5, much less 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to figure out a way to use this variant for 6+ players, but it is tricky. Wanted to get the viewpoint of people who play 4/5 player games first (or for those wanting to try a 3 player game).

Such rules should be their own variant, as it would be a different discussion, but here is a crack at them.

Probably for 6 players, select the FS first, then create a deck of 1 murderer, 1 accomplice, 1 witness, and 3 investigators. Shuffle and deal one to each player (including the FS). The FS looks at their card.

During night cycle, the FS shows their card to the murderer/accomplice. During the witness phase, if they drew murder/accomplice, they point to themself and the other player, but don't signify which.

If the FS's card is murderer, then they select the clue/means card in front of themself (but they still are on team investigator) (or for harder difficulty have the accomplice chose the cards). At game end, if the proper means/clue is found, the accomplice gets a chance to point out the witness.

If the FS's card is the witness, the M/A do not get a chance to point out the witness if caught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Might work...but only 3 sets of cards to pick from is a small set. On the other hand, if one of the investigators is the murderer, that only gives you one guess to get it right. That could be very hard - sometimes its just really hard to narrow it down perfectly without eliminating some possibilities.

We've played two player just to try it out by setting out four sets of cards and having the FI roll dice to determine which set and cards within the set it is. The clue part is still fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Might work...but only 3 sets of cards to pick from is a small set. On the other hand, if one of the investigators is the murderer, that only gives you one guess to get it right. That could be very hard - sometimes its just really hard to narrow it down perfectly without eliminating some possibilities.

We've played two player just to try it out by setting out four sets of cards and having the FI roll dice to determine which set and cards within the set it is. The clue part is still fun.

A four player game is also 3 sets of cards, only there are 2 guesses (and a third incorrect guess).

A 2 player (FS/Investigator) cooperative game might be interesting, but will require more changes up of mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
I actually think this variant has promise for low player count games, and would easily work with 3-5 player games no problem. I'll do some play testing with it when I get a group under 6 players, should be interesting as it basically adds an extra player and can create a "blind spot" because people might not consider the Forensic Investigator as the murderer.

You can also still adjust the number of cards given per player to suit your group's skill level and needs, which holds true for any player count.

Mechanically I can see it working for 6-player and up games, though at that count I would probably just rather play the normal game with Witness and Accomplice. The value here is when you don't have enough people to play a normal game well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.