GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,794 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

The Phantom League» Forums » General

Subject: Are you required to Fight Pirates in a NON-Docking event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
So, my first mission card was to find a Pirate Nest. I happened to uncover the needed Planet, and had to draw two Pirate cards, and discard the weaker one. Well, I happened to draw the Pirate Asteroid, which then added a SECOND ship to the mix.

So my puny cargo ship s looking at battling TWO Pirates!

This is a NON-Docking event - I "encountered" them in space (or at the planet, but it's not a Pirate planet.)

Do I have to fight them, or can I just pay them off with half my cargo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...

Does the mission say you have to fight them? And is the drawing of the two cards part of the mission?
If so, I'd say that you are attempting to fulfill the mission and have already started the fight... So, yes.

Also, if you have revealed them then I'd say it's safe to assume they are also aware of you and, being pirates, will attack.

I'll take a look at the rules later on and try to come up with a better reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
Here is the official text of the card:

"#M01 Pirate Hideout:
Reliable source reveals you the hideout of a known pirate. Fly to Rredra and draw two Pirate-cards from the Pirate Deck, and discard the weaker one."

There's nothing on the card that says I HAVE to fight them, but discarding the weaker one would imply that there would be some kind of battle involved. That FEELS right thematically, especially as I have uncovered their hideout.

There's nothing to say Rredra now becomes a Pirate Nest (since that's in the MH expansion and this is an original game card.) But there's also nothing in the rules about paying them off with cargo, credits, or an improvement - that's only mentioned as a punishment/event/whatever you want to call it, for DOCKING at a Pirate Planet/Base.

So the sake of the game, I fought them and then escaped - like I said, I pulled the Pirate Asteroid, which spawned another pirate card, and didn't want to fight them.

I just didn't know if there were other options.

Edit: I also didn't know if this would then count as DOCKING at Rredra, or just flying in the space around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you made the right call. Most rules questions like this are best handled by looking through the lense of theme - whatever feels right, is probably right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
magicoctopus wrote:
I think you made the right call. Most rules questions like this are best handled by looking through the lense of theme - whatever feels right, is probably right.

Magic Octopus is correct. You made right call. Sorry for being imprecise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.