Popular Tags: [View All]
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is full and starting soon.

Quote:
If anyone needs to get a random space, here's the formula you'll need this game:

1custom28{1;4;5;6;7;9;10;14;15;16;17;19;20;21;San Francisco;Arkham;Bueños Aires;London;Rome;Istanbul;Shanghai;Tokyo;Sydney;Amazon;Pyramds; Africa;Tunguska;Himalayas}

Most other random rolls you might need can be found here.

As I've mentioned here and there, I've been working on a fan expansion with Shudde-M'ell as the AO, and am planning on doing a PBF game of the beta version, as I hope to get feedback from outside my small play group. Invitations will be going out soon. As this is a beta game, I won't be recording refusals on the waiting list, so long as I get an actual response.

This game will use all expansions to date, mostly so that I don't have to sort out my cards. Additionally, players are allowed to use characters from my prior fan expansion, though I'm not going to actively encourage it (I've tested that one enough!) I will be using the conditions from that expansion, but nothing else.

For those not familiar with The Burrowers Beneath, you're facing off against Shudde-M'ell, the granddaddy of all cthonians, and all his darling offspring, as they try to undermine our civilization in a literal fashion. It probably ought to be noted that, in the same way that Brian Lumley, the author of the original book, indicated that he didn't want to write precisely following Lovecraft's style, but give his own version of the Lovecraftverse, in like manner, this is going to by my version of his idea, not a precise following of his book.

Also, for those of you familiar with my PBF games, this one is not going to have a distinct storyline. Most of the encounters will be from the cards with minimal rewriting or editorializing, as I hope to get feedback that isn't influenced by outside storytelling. And I do hope that players will give me some sort of feedback about the AO and related game, detailed or not, when it's over.

If interested in playing, respond with your choice of investigator in the thread below, and don't forget to subscribe to this thread. And if you're new to Eldritch Horror play-by-forum games, here's a link to a guide for new players

Invitations have gone out to:
Krysmopompas— accepted, Wendy Adams
Mawkee— accepted, Agnes Baker
ZazasLT— declined
Tkpope— accepted, Jenny Barnes
Patparker
Frotes— declined
Rupertc- declined
Gonecase— interested, Lily Chen

Alternates:
Slamin
Spinningdice— accepted, character TBD
Merryho

The Ancient One:

backside:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

New mechanics: You probably noticed that areas can become devastated. When this happens, a token gets placed over the space that is devastated, and the location's type becomes "rubble". If an investigator is unlucky enough to be at the location, he has to make a strength test to avoid losing 2 health, and a will test to avoid losing 2 sanity. If there is a seismic station token (explained below) on the location, it is removed as well. You cannot acquire assets, gain ship tickets, or similar actions in rubble. If the active expedition space is on a space with rubble, discard the top card of the expedition deck; if the new top card of the expedition deck is on a devastated space, repeat until you reveal a card that is not rubble or the deck is exhausted.

If an area to be devastated is already rubble, advance doom by 1, discard any seismic station token on the space, and investigators must make strength and will tests to avoid taking damage, but there is no effect beyond that.

Rubble spaces have a separate encounter deck. Encounters are based on the prior location type: major city (i.e., named), city, and wilderness.

Investigators on a rubble location may perform a new action, "Organize relief efforts". He makes an influence -1 test, and if successful, enough order is restored to the area; he discards the rubble token on the location. He rolls one extra die if the location was originally an unnamed city, or two extra dice if it was a wilderness area. He subtracts one from each die if the ancient one has awakened.

Some research encounters have you place a Seismic Station token on a location. Many of the mysteries have a "Seismic Station Effect" on them; if an area is devastated, for each seismic station token within two spaces, the effect listed on the mystery happens. If a seismic station token is on a location being devastated, its effects happen before the seismic station token is removed. If told to place a seismic station token on a space that already has one, there is no further effect.

New condition cards: There are additional condition cards. The type is listed under the first spoiler, and the cards themselves are under the second one.

agreement condition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks X, appreciate the invite! Was hoping I'd get in on one of your games, so looking forward to it.

The AO looks great, and from a quick look it seems that we'll need a fair number of fighter types on this one, as well as a few investigators with good Influence.

So of course I'd like to pick an oddball investigator instead: )

I'll choose

unless we are short on fighters, in which case I'll go for HANK SAMSON if available.

(forgive the Arkham banner, Eldritch one isn't up for her yet.)

If my choice just doesn't make sense (she has low Influence and isn't much of a fighter, but could cast spells and she can nab clues ok), let me know team...but it is a beta test after all, let's give Xelto all he can handle

cheers
Krysmo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested. I'll selected a character if there's a spot available for me. Thanks for running this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Martins
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Hey, what are you trying to do??!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

This sounds too interesting to pass. I'm game!

I'll go with Silas, if that's available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, and I'll be Jenny Barnes. After watching Another Period on Comedy Central, I think I'll play her like Lillian Bellacourt.

However, I have some questions. I'm not exactly sure what happens when a Cultist appears. "When this monster is spawned, discard this monster...then spawn a Mob Monster at that location." What is a Mob Monster? Is it anything like a Crazed Mob? If we're using another monster token, why does the cultist have stats? I'm completely confused by that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkpope wrote:
However, I have some questions. I'm not exactly sure what happens when a Cultist appears. "When this monster is spawned, discard this monster...then spawn a Mob Monster at that location." What is a Mob Monster? Is it anything like a Crazed Mob? If we're using another monster token, why does the cultist have stats? I'm completely confused by that one.

Sorry, knew I forgot something.

Basically, no human worships Shudde-M'ell. He doesn't make subconscious offers of power, nor does he appeal to the lunatic fringe. So his only worshippers are cthonians, and when they appear, they simply damage the area and then take off for other parts. The mobs appear afterward, and in the fashion of unruly people who don't have a clue what they should be doing, they sometimes cause serious problems, sometimes stick around being nuisances, and sometimes give up and go home.

In the earliest versions, I didn't even put stats in for the cultists, since none of the research cards reference them, and they don't stick around on the board when spawned. Then I ran into a mythos card that has you encounter a cultist.

Also, note that mobs don't spawn every time an area is devastated, just when an area is devastated by drawing a cultist, or when instructed by a research card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, we can always use more, but Silas and Jenny are both good starts at fighter types, and Jenny's influence and ability will be a big help.

So I'll adjust my OP to confirm Wendy as my selection.

cheers
K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Martins
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for a reference, I'm also OK with playing Charlie if anybody wants to grab a more "aggressive" player instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A couple of notes about characters:

* Before you choose Charlie, note that Jenny is already in the game. I have no problems with both of them being in the game (the asset deck is large enough to survive a it now), but wanted to make sure you saw it.

* Similarly, before you choose Silas, note that the sea space clues get returned to the box (cthnoians and water just don't mix), meaning that a lot less happens on sea spaces, especially not having any clues there. I'm not going to say you can't play Silas—he has wonderful mobility—but wanted to make sure you saw that, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite. Looking forward to this!

How about Lily Chen? Or do we have too many combat types?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never too many combat types, and Lily's a pure one of those; I think she'd be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We're currently at 4 players. If you have a specific seating order you want, start getting that organized. And if anyone wants to be lead investigator at the start, let me know that as well.

If the group doesn't have a specific seating order they want, please let me know what time zone you're in, and I'll seat everyone by time zone, starting with mine (North America Eastern, UTC -5). Theoretically, this improves the chances that players before you will have posted their moves before you. I know that the theory often doesn't work, but every little bit counts at times. Lead investigator will be chosen randomly, unless Charlie or George are in play, in which case Charlie will be first or George will be last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Singapore, so UTC/GMT+8 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in California, so PDT for me. But I do expect to be getting into the asset deck a lot, at least at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on Jenny for the deck - she's got a great skill and it can be transferable too.
I've been moving around but should be on North American Pacific time for the next month (UTC-8). No preference as to where to sit.

And Mawkee if you do decide to switch from Silas, I don't think we have a pure spellcaster yet.

Krysmo/WENDY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested, maybe try Wodehouse from your custom investigators, on a weekend away at the moment, so just on my phone, but I'm UK (gmt+1, through summer back to GMT come autumn)

Edit-just noticed we already have a gear up character, so may change. If you don't mind me waiting up Monday to check my copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spinningdice wrote:
I'd be interested, maybe try Wodehouse from your custom investigators, on a weekend away at the moment, so just on my phone, but I'm UK (gmt+1, through summer back to GMT come autumn)

Edit-just noticed we already have a gear up character, so may change. If you don't mind me waiting up Monday to check my copy of the game.

That's fine, we'll see who you want then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Martins
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:

A couple of notes about characters:

* Before you choose Charlie, note that Jenny is already in the game. I have no problems with both of them being in the game (the asset deck is large enough to survive a it now), but wanted to make sure you saw it.

* Similarly, before you choose Silas, note that the sea space clues get returned to the box (cthnoians and water just don't mix), meaning that a lot less happens on sea spaces, especially not having any clues there. I'm not going to say you can't play Silas—he has wonderful mobility—but wanted to make sure you saw that, as well.

Those are very good points. I'll Go with Agnes Baker then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thinking Akadi Onyele... Or maybe Lily Chen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Martins
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good choices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Lily's already in play so Akachi would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It turns out that the game may not start as fast as I was hoping... I have what looks like a motherboard crash. It may take me a few days to either replace the 8-year-old computer, and/or decide to buy a motherboard off Ebay. So the game is unlikely to start before Tuesday, and may take an additional week or more if I decide to go the fix-it route.

Fortunately, my data should be unaffected, and I have backups for most of it on the off chance that something happened to the flash drive. And as we're still getting the last player, it may end up being not that much of a difference in the end.

Edit: and having uploaded that, my computer has miraculously fixed itself. No, no farm animals or pets were sacrificed to bring this about. No humans either. Needless to say, I'm going to be keeping a careful eye out and backing up regularly, but tentatively, the game will go on once we have six players.

Second edit: My best guess is overheating, but I'm still not sure. (When I first had the problem, I turned it off and left for a couple hours to see, and still had problems on return. But since that time, it's acted in a more classic overheat-like way.) So, still have the occasional problem, I'm going to be snagging some external fans tomorrow, and we'll see. I can afford to replace it... probably. I would rather not have to, though, at least not until Apple refreshes their desktop lineup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Burrowers Beneath beta
I'm interested and don't have a particular character preference. Norman is always nice with Lily or Jacqueline if we expect to get battered cry

If there is a good investigator fit story wise I'm totally up for that also!

PS: I'm on Pacific time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akachi it is then.

If it's just overheating, try taking the side panels off until you decide what you're doing. It's only a short term fix as long term it leads to more dust finding it's way in there (and obviously if you have small kids you'll need to consider that), but it does slow down the rate they overheat.
It'll also let you see if the CPU or case fan is dropping out or something.
Also carefully vaccuum out all the fans, those things attract dust and fluff like nobodies business.

Also check your startup items and disable anything non-essential, more stuff running generally = more strain on the processor.

Sorry if I'm overstepping, or stating the obvious, don't know how much of an IT geek you are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spinningdice wrote:
If it's just overheating, try taking the side panels off until you decide what you're doing. It's only a short term fix as long term it leads to more dust finding it's way in there (and obviously if you have small kids you'll need to consider that), but it does slow down the rate they overheat.

Sorry if I'm overstepping, or stating the obvious, don't know how much of an IT geek you are!

It's an iMac, no side panels to remove. As for how much of an IT guy I am... I repair coin-op equipment as part of my job, so I know more than most people, but not as much as someone who works with computers nonstop.

However, it looks like I was able to blow enough dust out of it to restore sufficient circulation; no problems at all yesterday. Given it's age (2008 manufacture), I'm probably going to get a small USB-powered fan and attach it to the back of the machine—iMacs have an aluminum back, which acts as a giant heat sink, and a bit of extra cooling should help. But there's no rush at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.