Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has confirmed you only need 2 because there is a limit of 2 copies of each card in your deck.

And of course it's cooperative, so you could probably get by with just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Teamjimby wrote:
FFG has confirmed you only need 2 because there is a limit of 2 copies of each card in your deck.

And of course it's cooperative, so you could probably get by with just one.

Where was it confirmed the deck limit is 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wandolowski
United States
Fox Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play with up to four players, you need two core sets I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know they confirmed you need two core sets on twitter.

I forget if they actually confirmed max 2 cards per deck, or if it was just inferred from the deck size (spoiled cards show 30 card decks, IIRC).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Teamjimby wrote:

I forget if they actually confirmed max 2 cards per deck, or if it was just inferred from the deck size (spoiled cards show 30 card decks, IIRC).

So they haven't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FellintoOblivion wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:

So they haven't.

It was confirmed on Twitter.

@Reaver027: "@FFGames How many core sets are needed for a full playset of cards?"
@FFGames: "@Reaver027 Two."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 core sets has been confirmed, but limit 2 copies per deck has not been officially confirmed. Although people that demoed the game are saying they think it's limit 2 copies per deck. Still nothing official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Magellan1 wrote:
FellintoOblivion wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:

So they haven't.

It was confirmed on Twitter.

@Reaver027: "@FFGames How many core sets are needed for a full playset of cards?"
@FFGames: "@Reaver027 Two."

Wrong point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you need 2 core sets to play a coop game? Doesn't the core set come with all the cards you need to play the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:
Why would you need 2 core sets to play a coop game? Doesn't the core set come with all the cards you need to play the game?

Welcome to the LCG world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:

You don't. But you have the option to buy an extra core sets if you want more copies of the cards to deck build with. If you don't care about designing your own decks then you don't need to worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Jawby wrote:

You don't. But you have the option to buy an extra core sets if you want more copies of the cards to deck build with. If you don't care about designing your own decks then you don't need to worry about it.

If he wants to play with 3 or 4 players he needs two sets also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:

You do not need 2 core sets to play the game, that would be ridiculous.

You do need 2 core sets, if you want to have ALL options for deck building.

So, while I do not know about you, I do know that I need 2 core sets and will buy them as soon as they are available.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:

FFG LCG games are known to get players to buy more than 1 core set. If Arkham Horror LCG is operating in similar ways to Lord of the Ring LCG, then you probably want to get the 2nd set to enhance your experience and build a consistent deck to your liking.

However, the other option I feel is just to wait for the expansions to come out. Probably after 1 cycle, you may have enough of the other cards that you do not need to have a second copy of the base set. (But then I can be wrong.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be quite disappointing to need to buy 2 core sets to be able to play with 3-4. That would cost about 70-80€ if MSRP is $40. Hopefully this can be done somehow without needing to buy multiple copies e.g. by buying expansions. Otherwise so far looks interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan T
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Speculation of course) I think that you could get away with playing with 4 characters with one set, but you would be really restricted on some of the more useful neutral cards like the flash light. I imagine that there are only 4 of them in the core set and I think that is a card that you are going to want to have maxed on all of your investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I in the area are already talking about playing this game, who wants to play, and what is necessary.

Either I will buy 2 cores or I'll buy one and one someone else in the group will buy one (making a total of two for the group). Theoretical we could do a 4 player campaign with the two Cores (right?).

I'm curious about the Mythos Packs. Do you think one Mythos Pack be good for a 4 player campaign or would we need 2 of those as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy a core set for sure. Once I've played it some I'll decide whether a 2nd core set is needed for solo/2P and also whether I want to play 3/4 player. If I'm going to buy in big time and subscribe to monthly updates (or whatever cadence they adopt) then a second core set pales into insignificance cost-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I'll buy a core set for sure. Once I've played it some I'll decide whether a 2nd core set is needed for solo/2P and also whether I want to play 3/4 player. If I'm going to buy in big time and subscribe to monthly updates (or whatever cadence they adopt) then a second core set pales into insignificance cost-wise.

This is probably why the split it as they have. If they included a full 4 players, multiple card copies, in each core set the cost would be another 50%, so maybe $60 instead of $40?

Much more likely that someone will buy one at $40 (or less with discounts) and then buy a second than it is someone unsure paying $60 all at once.

Unfortunately, the downside is that for those of us who know we want 2 copies, there goes $80 and half the components of one set are wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

This is probably why the split it as they have. If they included a full 4 players, multiple card copies, in each core set the cost would be another 50%, so maybe $60 instead of $40?

Much more likely that someone will buy one at $40 (or less with discounts) and then buy a second than it is someone unsure paying $60 all at once.
Precisely the point I was making a point that I repeatedly make about FFG strategies for games that they intend to build on. People just don't seem to understand FFG's strategy and just whine about "having to" buy two core set.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the downside is that for those of us who know we want 2 copies, there goes $80 and half the components of one set are wasted.
Sure, I get that. I've always wondered why they didn't produce a "supplement" expansion to add in a core set without duplication. Probably because there's no incentive sufficient for them to do so (they're smart people and know their market). Having said that, the "2 core sets" approach is ostensibly to take play from 1-2 up to 3-4 players, not to take core set cards to 3 copies per card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I've always wondered why they didn't produce a "supplement" expansion to add in a core set without duplication.

Partly, it has to do with packaging, production, shipping, inventory, shelf space, and other not so glamorous parts of the industry.

If there's a "partial set" but the store doesn't have any cores, they could get stuck with them. People misunderstanding might buy the wrong one.

Having just one product avoids all that AND brings in more money. They only lose a few sales (maybe) from those who buy one core, like it, but not enough to spend $40 more when they would have spent $25. Not that many lost sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

I'm curious about the Mythos Packs. Do you think one Mythos Pack be good for a 4 player campaign or would we need 2 of those as well?

We don't know for sure yet, but in other LCGs, the cycle packs always include a full playset of every card. It has been that way for many years now and will almost certainly be the case here.

Mainly the core set doesn't include a full playset because FFG wants to keep the cost low for casual players who see it as a standalone game, or players who want to just give the game a try before committing. Adding another $10-20 to the cost would turn away too much of the market.

When it comes to expansions, potential buyers have already committed to the game and want a full playset of player cards, so they go ahead and offer it. In the case of core set, many players will be satisfied with half a playset (and these are largely people who don't come to websites like this or post in FFG forums). But when it comes to expansions, nobody would want just half of a playset - they either want it all or they want none of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.