Subject: 2p game too short? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tried a 2-player game with the physical set, but ran out of patent office tiles before either player could complete their car. this feels odd and a little broken. are we doing something wrong, or is this a common experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, it's very difficult for a game to scale evenly between 2 and 6 players. The dynamics between two players is very different from three players.

So I never expect a game for four players to scale down to two. In general, I only play such games with two people to learn how to play it.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your specific question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
IMHO, it's very difficult for a game to scale evenly between 2 and 6 players. The dynamics between two players is very different from three players.

in a game which doesn't change anything based on the number of players - clearly.

but they do remove various sets of tiles based on the number of players, so one would hope that there would be a little more balance there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infomage27 wrote:
but they do remove various sets of tiles based on the number of players, so one would hope that there would be a little more balance there

I have found that to be a very week method for scaling games down. New York 1901 does that, and I think it doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that 2 and 3 player games are the only one's where I am actually able to complete a car of at least 12 tiles. Also, if you only go for new parts then you will run out of tiles quickly, especially if you draw a lot of face down parts.

I don't remember how many tiles are used in a 2 player game but I believe if you don't take any face down tiles, the game will last 6 rounds. Once you start taking the face down tiles, the game will last fewer rounds.

Try the "advanced" rule where you don't discard all the face up tiles each round. You have 2 rows of 3 tiles and only the top row of unclaimed tiles are removed at the end of the round. Any tiles remaining in the bottom row slide up and 3 new tiles are drawn. So each round will begin with 3-6 face up tiles. Since you only bring out 3 new tiles each round instead of 6, the game last 12 rounds (if you don't take any face down tiles.)

Don't be afraid to use junk tiles either. You won't get points for symbols but they still count towards largest color group and for investors looking for different engine types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.