3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Seeking Play Testers

Subject: Light Crayon Rails (-sh) game. Need feedback. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm trying to get feedback on this little game of mine. You can play it with graph paper and markers, colored pencils, etc., or on a board with Parcheesi men (or pawns) and sticks.

I've played it with a friend and against myself enough to know that it "works", but would like to get feedback from others

Quote:

UNTITLED 8-WAY CONNECTION GAME

Number of Players: 2

Setup/Board Description: Square Grid. The North and South edges are owned by Player 1, and the East and West edges are owned by Player 2. Corners are shared.

Pieces: Pawns (bases) and sticks (connections)

Board Sizes and Play Times:
15 min - 11x11
30 min - 16x16
60 min - 22x22

Overview:
Each player tries to connect their edges of the board by placing bases and connecting them together.

Each turn:
* A player places a base on ANY empty space on the board.
* Then connects it to all their adjacent bases in the eight adjoining squares, unless it would cross an opponent's connection.
(The point of this is to keep track of connections across diagonals.)

Win condition: A player connects their two edges of the board.

Pie rule (optional, this rule nullifies the 1st player's inherent advantage): After the first move is made, the second player has one of two options:

1) Letting the move stand, in which case the second player remains the second player and moves immediately, or

2) Switching places, in which case the second player becomes the first-moving player, and the "new" second player then makes their "first" move. (I.e., the game proceeds from the opening move already made, but with roles reversed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sparks
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an interesting way to manage 1st player's advantage, though it seems awkward. Sounds like first play is too much of an advantage and there needs to be a bit more gameplay balance so that one player is not immediately ahead just because they got first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi Stephen, the Pie Rule is completely optional, and the game works fine without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.