Subject: How bad quality are the figures in 2nd edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Hi. I keep reading comments about how the figures were of a lower quality and such.

Anyone able to provide comparison close ups and all? I'm especially concerned about the loss of details as I like to paint them

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Ah they're not that bad. They're good by FFG standards. On par with all of their other releases. If you like the general quality of Descent, X-Com, Runebound and such. This is on that level.

It's not kingdom death, games workshop or CMON kickstarter level of detail and quality, but I wouldn't say it's "bad" by any means.

EDIT: There are a handful of unboxing videos where they hold the figures close to the camera and show them off, that should give you a fair idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wesley sermeus
Belgium
flag msg tools
they are the same as in the first edition...
they are good, only thing is that the figures do not hold in the bases, so problably best use a bit of glue but for the rest there fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Dark63 wrote:
Ah they're not that bad. They're good by FFG standards. On par with all of their other releases. If you like the general quality of Descent, X-Com, Runebound and such. This is on that level.

No, that's not true. Theses are at about the level of the 1st edition miniatures. They don't reflect the improvement FFG has made in the last couple of years at all.

They're extremely bog-standard. Some of them do not go on the bases very well, at least not out of the box. I can say unequivocally: buy this for the game, not the miniatures. That's my opinion, which the OP asked for, so please don't anyone get angry with me for my bluntness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

1st edition on left, 2nd edition on right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey van Dorp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was disappointed with the quality.
Flimsy plastics, lack of detail, lots of flash, arms on some minis assembled at a wrong angle, etc.
You can even see different color (thus different composition) plastic being used on the same line of minis. So you get the same minis from different batches. And it looks like each batch has it's own issues.
Somebody compared the minis with 'dollar store toys' and that seems accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Miller
Australia
Brisbane City
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the monsters? I have Fantasy Flight Collector minis to use for investigators, so there's no issue there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

1st edition on the left, 2nd edition on the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those threads where people are bitching just to bitch about something. This is a case of MINIsnobbery...

I seen the minis, held the minis, played with the minis.

They are absolutely 100% fine for a board game. Remember your not buying fucking KingdomDeath here, its just a board game with miniatures to represent a token that is it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
This is one of those threads where people are bitching just to bitch about something. This is a case of MINIsnobbery...

They are absolutely 100% fine for a board game. Remember your not buying fucking KingdomDeath here, its just a board game with miniatures to represent a token that is it.

For the price they are asking if the quality is any less then 1e people have a right to complain. Honestly, as much as I love FFG if they start to go cheap on components but keep increasing prices I will just stop buying their products all together.

I haven't purchased this game so I have no idea of the quality but I am ready to boycott at the slightest sign of reduced quality. I have seen this trend in many businesses lately where they very slowly increase the price ever so slightly while very slowly reducing the quality. I won't stand for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

They are absolutely fine for a board game where its just a board game with miniatures to represent a token.

They're not highly detailed, not gorgeous, not prepainted.

I wouldn't mind better miniatures, but don't mind them as is. But I'm not a miniature painting hobbyist either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm really happy to have investigator miniatures so I can use them instead if the mini-cards in Arkham Horror the card game when it comes out! With 1st and 2nd edition I have 24 now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
atraangelis wrote:

Or...

Maybe it's one of those threads where someone asks for others' honest opinions, people give them and some fanboy gets offended by it... now those threads there really are a lot of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no reason that a company like FFG should have low quality miniatures, when you have much smaller companies that provide much better ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey van Dorp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
There is no reason that a company like FFG should have low quality miniatures, when you have much smaller companies that provide much better ones.

There are perfectly viable reasons to do this:

1) make money
2) make more money
3) make even more money

See?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures are the same quality as first edition. There is a color difference that is causing the details not showing as good. But prime them and you'll see it is the same quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slexlaw wrote:
What about the monsters? I have Fantasy Flight Collector minis to use for investigators, so there's no issue there.

Note that 4 of the new investigators are not part of the previous investigator collection. I hope they release them as I'm not a huge fan of painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the new ones, but I think the mini qualities in 1st ed (and from what I can see in 2nd ed) is of slightly lower quality than some of other FFG's offerings. The big monster minis are fine but the smaller ones aren't that impressive.

Maybe they're just trying to make the new stuff match the 1st ed stuff (it would be really weird if the 2nd ed stuff looked totally different than 1st ed stuff and you try to integrate them both together)

Might be disappointing for some people, but personally for me, if it's functional it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
grahamj wrote:

If those smaller companies offer such stellar components, why haven't they surpassed FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
The miniatures are fine, but of lesser quality than the descent mini's, and not what you expect to find in a 100$ board game.

The star spawn just looks cheap though. Not so much the build quality but more the sculpt itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
grahamj wrote:

If those smaller companies offer such stellar components, why haven't they surpassed FFG?

Because quality of minis doesn't determine overall success?

And CMoN is heading in that direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other publishers have surpassed FFG in terms of quality of minis but at least the look may be more consistent with the first ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all!

thanks for the replies. I'll still probably buy this game once it drops to a reasonable price range for me. But i'll probably not paint this one so eagerly due to the sculpts being less well done overall.

Also, i agree with Idaho11, that quality doesn't mean overall success and CMoN really is heading towards that success. I think i have all the recent CMoN games, and their quality is really superb, components and game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The investigator miniatures are discernibly chunkier than 1st edition - we played with Jenny Barnes (1st ed) and Rita Young (2nd ed) and couldn't help notice that Rita's legs are about three times thicker and her head twice as big as Jenny's.

The detail is soft. I have painted a lot of Imperial Assault miniatures and I have looked closely at the 2nd ed investigators with painting in mind but I fear that detail is going to be lost with these sculpts.

TLDR: The investigator miniatures in 2nd ed MoM have different proportions than 1st ed and they are not as finely detailed as Imperial Assault figures.

edit: fix typo and clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
This just boggles the mind. Descent 2nd edition showed an increase in miniature-quality up to the last Hero&Monster-Pack, Battlelore has absolute fantastic miniatures for this type of scale and game but the newest "big game" of FFG can't hold up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.