Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Menthalars mind control something off of the Coastal Resistance deck and the drawn card is a Destroyer, Carrier, or Battleship, which normally substitutes a ship token for the card, what happens to that token after the evil, mustachioed shellfish are done with them?

My first thought was whether or not Menthalars could even mind control from the Coastal Resistance deck at all. If the location draws Coastal Resistance, I don't really see why they couldn't, but the Apocalypse rules don't seem to say anything about it. (Also, what about areas where Resistance can come from either deck? Maybe the Menthalars can only draw from whatever deck they're fighting or something like that.)

We had three ideas of what to do.

1. The ship counter gets put on the board, stays out there, and needs to be fought like any other resistance. (Maybe flipped to its damaged side as some kind of "reward" for being mind controlled?)

2. The ship card gets discarded with no gain/loss on either side.

3. The ship counter gets collected as a trophy by the player.

Option one seems a little too harsh, option three seems far too easy, so we went with option two. Discard and nothing happens.

Also, if something like a Paratroop or a Carrier card gets drawn in this kind of situation, would the additional counters be put out on the board as normal? I'm not sure about that either way.

Thanks, folks, and happy conquests!

Edits: Clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
I would say that you only draw from the Resistance deck, as that is what the ability says. True, there was no Coastal Resistance deck when the Menthalars got their ability, so the deck draw I guess is up to you.

When it comes to placing the token though, I would say no token is placed, as the Menthalars only "draw" a Resistance card and then "add the strength" to theirs. They do not actually trigger any ability on the cards. If you were to draw Paratroopers, you would not become deadly for example. If you drew Artillery, you would not gain the barrage ability. And thus I'd say you also place no counters - non for Paratroopers and non for ships. (And if you drew Captain Fantastic, he'd not get +1 strength for each of your saucers present.)

After all, the ability goes out of its way to explain that if you draw a hero, you continue drawing additional Resistance as normal (which leaves me wondering if two heroes drawn this way trigger a resistance event in Co-op "as normal"), suggesting that the rest of the card draw is not "as normal".
The card is drawn, the strength value checked and added, then the card is discarded - it is never played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right about counters not getting placed. That's the way we played it anyway. I suppose that answers the questions as to why the ship cards actually have a strength total printed on them. I mean, if the card is replaced by the counter, it really shouldn't need the strength total printed on it.

As to the Menthalars and which deck to draw from, the Menthalars are from the base game where there wasn't a Coastal Resistance deck to worry about. Obviously, play it however you like, but, from a theme standpoint, I think it fits the vibe the game is going for for the innocent biologist doing studies from the hardworking tugboat to become mind controlled by the evil aliens and pilot the SS Milly (or whatever emotional name you want to assign) into the middle of the battle going on beside the oil rig.

By the same token, I'd probably limit the Fome Guild Mages to drawing from the discard pile for the appropriate resistance deck. If there's nothing there, their necromancy doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
I think we'll adopt the same draw policy for Menthalars and Fome Guild Mages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.