Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
When a technology gets exhausted do you also lose the icons on that card or just the ability?

If you use the ability on "The Obsidian Order" card to exhaust somebody else's espionage advance, do you lose the +1 Hegemony Resistance?

Does the Cardassian - weaponized Starbases advancement mean that starbases now add 3 or 4 total dice to a combat round.

Do the Cardassians require a ship in their Home System to generate production there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
When a technology gets exhausted do you also lose the icons on that card or just the ability?

If you use the ability on "The Obsidian Order" card to exhaust somebody else's espionage advance, do you lose the +1 Hegemony Resistance?

Does the Cardassian - weaponized Starbases advancement mean that starbases now add 3 or 4 total dice to a combat round.

Do the Cardassians require a ship in their Home System to generate production there?

Yes

Yes

3 total (the add one to a normal roll, key word add. So they now add 3 to the roll)

And yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Before invading a system you have to fight any present enemy ships.

The manual doesn't mention this in relation to Hegemony, can you attempt Hegemony in a system with enemy ships still present (there are ways to get ships in the same system without fighting).

Can you use Advancements on enemy/systems you haven't made first contact/connected with yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for hegemony, it can be done even with its owner's ships in orbit as this is diplomacy

depending what the advancement mentions, there is no limit where you apply it by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Darkmancer wrote:

The manual doesn't mention this in relation to Hegemony, can you attempt Hegemony in a system with enemy ships still present (there are ways to get ships in the same system without fighting).

Can you use Advancements on enemy/systems you haven't made first contact/connected with yet?

It does say on Page 19: "If there are any rival ships in the system, you must attack the ships in a space battle before invading the system." It doesn't specify that its the same in Hegemony, but its assumed. You can't even enter a system, in most cases, until the enemy ships are gone.

Technically you can use/gain their advancements. It doesn't work thematically but nothing currently prevents it. That being said, it will probably come up sooner or later in the errata as not being allowed to take tech from cultures that either you haven't met or you can't draw a direct connected line to their territory. (this works metagame wise because in the real world you can get things from culture indirectly through trade.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
It doesn't specify that its the same in Hegemony, but its assumed.

What you call an assumption, I call a house-rule. There no reason to believe that hegemony requires no rival ships in the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
John1701 wrote:
It doesn't specify that its the same in Hegemony, but its assumed.

What you call an assumption, I call a house-rule. There no reason to believe that hegemony requires no rival ships in the system.

True, But again, in most cases you can't even enter a system with an opposing ship. So unless you have a trade agreement you can't even attempt this. I expect to see this clarified in the errata but as it stands now, you are correct, you could do it if you can get on the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i do think he referred to the romulan tech advanced cloaking device which lets you enter a sector even if occupied by rival ships.

i would say that hegemony even with rival ships present is allowed as its diplomacy and given that each planet has its local government its not strange to see a world switch sides even if its parent faction is at war with you.

its just one of those odd situations that the rules dont go into detail about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are a few ways to get units in the same system even without advancements.

For example enemy ships in a system don't stop you building there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:

I've been mulling this question over, and I've come to a few conclusions. None of this is explicitly covered in the rulebook, so all of the following is my own extrapolation and interpretation. Take it as my opinion.

Yes, when an advancement is exhausted, it's turned face-down, strongly indicating that its symbols are no longer usable, either. This means that if one of your warp-advancements is exhausted, the warp speed of all your ships will be reduced until it is refreshed. But, other icons won't be affected in the same way. Specifically, Command icons and Culture icons (for Romulans) have an immediate, one-time effect when you complete the advancement, rather than a continuous effect.

Exhausting an advancement with a command icon will not cause you to lose a command token, just as exhausting an advancement with a culture icon doesn't cause the Romulans to lose a culture token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for the command token im not so sure, same like taking over another players starbase that player loses it immediately, so exhausting such a tech should take away a command (but could be an already exhausted one)

i think what might be missing here is the differencing between passive effects and active effects, so while some effects might remain in use, others are dependent on the card being unexhausted.

without such difference we can only assume that an exhausted card has to be considered as non-existent so all its bonuses are temporarily unavailable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
i think what might be missing here is the differencing between passive effects and active effects, so while some effects might remain in use, others are dependent on the card being unexhausted.

See, I don't even interpret the command token from an advancement as being active or passive. I see it as an instantaneous, one-time reward for having completed the advancement, just like the culture bonus for certain Romulan advancements. You wouldn't suggest that Romulans lose a culture token when such an advancement is exhausted, would you?

Of course, all of this is conjecture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

See, I don't even interpret the command token from an advancement as being active or passive. I see it as an instantaneous, one-time reward for having completed the advancement, just like the culture bonus for certain Romulan advancements. You wouldn't suggest that Romulans lose a culture token when such an advancement is exhausted, would you?

Of course, all of this is conjecture.

I agree with you on this.

Warp speed icons are an ability that you get by having the card out. The Command token and Culture tokens are more of rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for one-time bonuses, of course once you have received them you cant lose it, but for ongoing effects its another story.

those tech advancements represent new hardware/new offices or whatever, and the espionage cards that let you exhaust them represent sabotaging that hardware/office;

it could be in the form of destruction by bombs/assasination of key technicians or planting a virus or even by simply spreading rumors that a technology has bad sideeffects so people are afraid/refuse to use it

thereby disabling any benefits you get from that hardware/office until repaired/replaced/trust has been reestablished.
that command or warp token, without its supporting hardware/under viral influence or other would not work.

so why the analogy with the starbase, you lose the hardware, you lose the command.

but again, since the rules make no difference at all in what remains in effect or not, whatever we regard as still in effect is purely speculation and the only safe assumption is that all ongoing effects are canceled until GF9 clarifies it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:

I've been mulling this question over, and I've come to a few conclusions. None of this is explicitly covered in the rulebook.....

It seems there is a lot not explicitly covered in the rulebook. It seems that have left out many common situations that would come up in general play that either break the rules or would cause most people to have questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

i would say that hegemony even with rival ships present is allowed as its diplomacy and given that each planet has its local government its not strange to see a world switch sides even if its parent faction is at war with you.
The most interesting questions are: what happens if you do this? You, as the Federation, have an alliance with the Romulan player. You move your fleet, with permission, into an area that the Romulans control, both with control of the planet and with a fleet in space around it to protect from the Klingons. Now you spend a Command and a Culture to take over the planet. The Romulans don't like this, so they threaten to rescind their trade with you, which would make them hostile. If they do that, you're at war, and a fight would break out between your fleets. Since it's during the Federation's turn, the Romulans would not have their cloaking technology, and if there was a Star Base, it would belong to the Federation (presumably, since the Hegemony should be completed before the fighting). Can they give you the ultimatum of upgrading to a better trade agreement? If they had your 1-production, could you give them the 3-production as a way of saying "Sorry for stealing your system", and if so, would they be able to use it right away (or does Suspicious not apply to upgraded trade deals)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you exchange your trade agreement with the Romulan player, they will receive the new agreement in an exhausted state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules dont say if you have to resolve a fight immediately when opposing ships occupy the same system.
fights normally happen during the command phase at the active player's discretion as he needs to use a command for it.

but some clarification from GF9 might be needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
the rules dont say if you have to resolve a fight immediately when opposing ships occupy the same system.
fights normally happen during the command phase at the active player's discretion as he needs to use a command for it.

but some clarification from GF9 might be needed.

There is never an "automatic" fight. A battle only ever occurs when a player chooses to attack another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:

I believe this is one area the manual is clear. The manual states that "[w]hen your Ships Occupy a Developed Sector you don't Control, you may attempt to Culturally take over the System through Hegemony.

The Key Terms section specifically defines the term "Occupy" as "You Occupy a Sector when you are the only player with Ships in that Sector."

Based on this, I believe it is clear that you can only attempt Hegemony if you are the only player with Ships in the Sector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Thought I'd use this thread instead of starting another.....

When moving through systems that you control, it doesn't matter if rival ships are present does it? You can ignore them in the same way Romulans could with Adv. Cloaks? So if two systems you controlled were connected by one space lane, a ship in the first doesn't matter, a ship in the second doesn't matter, but a ship in the space lane you would have to stop and engage? Do I have this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:

When moving through systems that you control, it doesn't matter if rival ships are present does it? You can ignore them in the same way Romulans could with Adv. Cloaks? So if two systems you controlled were connected by one space lane, a ship in the first doesn't matter, a ship in the second doesn't matter, but a ship in the space lane you would have to stop and engage? Do I have this right?

You are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:

so you better get to removing that interloper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.