Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Quartermaster General – Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2 games of VoD:tPW last night. After the first game all four players were eager to try it a second time. Both games were close with the Demos faction winning the first game and the Oligarchs winning the second. Athens almost fell in each game which seems to replicate the lengthy siege of that city pretty well.

If you are familiar with Quartermaster General, then learning this game should prove easy for you but there are subtle and important differences between the two. Fleets can attack the land but land units cannot attack the sea and the supply lines work differently when tracing by sea as well. There are a couple of new pieces: the City which is a point scoring control marker, and the bribery token (technically not a "piece") that triggers some card play and can be used to fix a broken supply chain.

The other main difference is in the cards. The decks seem well thought out and the interactions between the response cards are more complicated than you would get in QMG without the expansions. It took is a little while to grasp a Strategy that would work for our factions and the decks are very different for each. Sparta is the Land powerhouse, while Athens rules the seas; the Delian League and Corinth can both be spoilers, ruining the plans of their foes and point scoring machines as well. The first game may take a little longer than you expect, depending how familiar you are with ancient Greek place names, and the strategy seems initially less straightforward than that of QMG.

The discard a card to play a second Prepare (response) card makes for interesting and difficult decisions. But be careful it can be tempting to take an extra prepare too often and be out of cards at the end of the game.
VoD:tPW is both simple to explain and challenging to play well
and most importantly it is great fun.
I am looking forward to trying this again! Quartermaster General was a big hit with our group the last year or so, and it looks like this may be too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i see you're also in the US...did you rec. any s/h notification (or anything) before your game showed up? or did it just show up one day?

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I got an email notification from UPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy just showed up yesterday. No advance shipping notice.

The well-mounted board is larger than I'd expected, as is the box.

The plastic pieces are well-detailed, but I was a little disappointed that they are made of a soft plastic rather than the hard plastic of PSC's "Great War" Richard Borg game.

They came in bags and about 1/3 of the Hoplite figs either have bent spears, or are bent at the ankles (for some odd reason they all lean forward, not backward).

I've read all about the boiling water-ice water "straightening" technique, but have never had success with it--by the next day they're all back to "bent."

They're usable, of course, but this makes me a little gloomy anticipating PSC's upcoming "Hold the Line" new edition; I hope there aren't too many "shoot around corners" muskets in that bunch.

On the unexpected-exciting side, the game includes a PSC brochure of current and upcoming projects.

Including a battle game on the Hundred Years' War, and both French and Russian expansions for "Great War," along with a WW I QG game (did know about that one) and an intriguing "abstract shield-wall game." Plus, of course, the new edition of "Battle of Britain" which has been on KS.

I like this publisher a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drstrnge wrote:
Yes, I got an email notification from UPS.
is kind of odd that one person got a shipping notice, and another didn't...both del. in the US...

well i haven't rec'd anything yet (game or notice), but maybe it'll just "show up" some day soon!

thanks for the updates...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you add info to your review for folks who never played this series? I'd like to learn more about this game. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my first game tonight. Exciting stuff. The Demos almost got a +10 victory, and all powers except Corinth ran out of draw cards by turn 12, making the endgame a tense affair, with so much vulnerability to cards forcing a discard. However, the Oligarchs control of the majority of the bonus areas, including Athens, gave them the final victory.

I liked the tensions between burning cards to do extra stuff, trying to gain immediate VPS, or thinking about the deferred VPs that come with the bonus areas. Lovely historical feeling with a very small rules load.

When learning the rules pay attention to every word in the Muster, Bribery and Supply sections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done the hot/cold water "treatment" on my spears once, over a week ago, and there has only been very mild rebend on a few since (of the sort that you can correct for the duration of the game by a quick tweak in the opposite direction).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petyr Patter
msg tools
My copy arrived Friday, and I got it played Sunday. While I was familiar with QMG, none of the other players were. I played with only basic "emergency provisions." Still, they mostly grasped the rules and gameplay was smooth.

I believe the final score was 29 to 26 in favor of the Demos. The winning factor appears to be those status cards which give +2 points. Some interesting moments include Corinth costing the Demos about 5 cards off their decks due to various discard events, Athens building a giant fleet around the Aegean sea even as Corinth and Sparta dominated the mainland, and Sparta finding a way to drop colonies in Western Anatolia.

After 1 play through, I'm certainly not willing to say this is better than QMG, but it is more tactical. The game seems to be Corinth and Sparta wanting to decapitate Athens from the start, but Athens many defense cards will gum up those plans, forcing both sides into side theaters, such as the Aegean islands or Sicily. Those theaters are where the game can be won or lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus Lee
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:

On the unexpected-exciting side, the game includes a PSC brochure of current and upcoming projects.

Including a battle game on the Hundred Years' War, and both French and Russian expansions for "Great War," along with a WW I QG game (did know about that one) and an intriguing "abstract shield-wall game." Plus, of course, the new edition of "Battle of Britain" which has been on KS.

Strange that my copy does not have the PSC brochure you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greatatlantic wrote:

After 1 play through, I'm certainly not willing to say this is better than QMG, but it is more tactical. The game seems to be Corinth and Sparta wanting to decapitate Athens from the start, but Athens many defense cards will gum up those plans, forcing both sides into side theaters, such as the Aegean islands or Sicily. Those theaters are where the game can be won or lost.

I've got the same feeling. It feels like a condensed version of QMG. I like it a lot but if I have 6 people I'll be playing QMG, if I've only 4 then I'd play this as the dymanic seems really interesting. In our game the Oligarchs won by 10pts on the very last scoring round and we realised that some of the cards we ditched early on were actually far better than they looked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much time did it take to complete your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petyr Patter
msg tools
With new players and rules explanation, 2.5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Petyr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stickers are proving a nightmare to get off the sticker sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.