Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to increase the combat odds a touch, so I upgraded the dice to D7s. It improves every unit across the board, so I imagine game balance shouldn't be disturbed too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Upgrade the dice to inprove combat odds.
hmm... so does every unit hit better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Every unit hits better. It really is a simple change to implement as all you need to do is replace D6s with D7s.

We have ruled it so that as soon as a player hits 6 victory points or more, all the dice get switched over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I haven't done the math, but I think the benefit for the Dragon would be less than the benefit for a lowly Human.

EDIT: Percent chance for failure on d6
Human: 83.3%
Dragon: 16.6%

on a d7:
Human: 71.4%
Dragon: 14.2%

If I am not a total idiot that means the human gets a 11.9% boost while the Dragon only gets a 2.4% boost. If so, this lowers the value of the upper units in the second half of the game (in your rule).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just brain storming I think a cool house rule might be that the person who controls the monolith gets to use a D7 in all combats instead of getting two energizer cards. It would reduce Energizer card unloads during a critical battle but still give valuable benefit to the controlling player. Thematically it makes sense as the lower units could be more sensitive to the Monoliths effects. Maybe a general morale boost as the humanoid figures might be more intelligent than the better fighters that might be more animalistic. The additional benefit of disproportionately benefiting miner capable types means more benefit is given defensively than offensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Just brain storming I think a cool house rule might be that the person who controls the monolith gets to use a D7 in all combats instead of getting two energizer cards. It would reduce Energizer card unloads during a critical battle but still give valuable benefit to the controlling player. Thematically it makes sense as the lower units could be more sensitive to the Monoliths effects. Maybe a general morale boost as the humanoid figures might be more intelligent than the better fighters that might be more animalistic. The additional benefit of disproportionately benefiting miner capable types means more benefit is given defensively than offensively.

I will have to try out your suggestion, sounds promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I dunno, I haven't done the math, but I think the benefit for the Dragon would be less than the benefit for a lowly Human.

EDIT: Percent chance for failure on d6
Human: 83.3%
Dragon: 16.6%

on a d7:
Human: 71.4%
Dragon: 14.2%

If I am not a total idiot that means the human gets a 11.9% boost while the Dragon only gets a 2.4% boost. If so, this lowers the value of the upper units in the second half of the game (in your rule).

You are correct. The human's gain the most. I'm okay with this though as I reason they are the most intelligent and have the most to gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Increasing the combat odds for all doesn't change player balance since it applies to all, but it for sure changes the game itself. TheChin! mentioned some of these, but there are other aspects that are changed as well.

Its a good house rule, because it will change the nature of the game, so all players must agree to it before the game. Some players might not like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
Increasing the combat odds for all doesn't change player balance since it applies to all, but it for sure changes the game itself. TheChin! mentioned some of these, but there are other aspects that are changed as well.

Its a good house rule, because it will change the nature of the game, so all players must agree to it before the game. Some players might not like it.

As with any house rules, we don't use them unless we can get all to agree prior to the start of any game.

I also believe that a house rule needs to written down and not just explained, even if it just means hand writing it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.