$5.00
$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
James Wyatt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I see mention in the rules of "owning" a monster. What all does that entail? Does it only attack you, or do something else? I noticed on of the characters (the Cleric, IIRC) can pass control of a monster to another player. What would be the use of this?

On a related note (on what I'm thinking owning means), does each monster on the board attack on every villain round? For example, say myself and two players are playing. Each player has triggered a monster throughout the game, so we'll say there are three out. When my turn ends, the monster I just spawned (via exploring, this is the third monster) attacks me. Do the other two monsters on the board attack the other two players?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justabaldguy wrote:
I see mention in the rules of "owning" a monster. What all does that entail? Does it only attack you, or do something else? I noticed on of the characters (the Cleric, IIRC) can pass control of a monster to another player. What would be the use of this?

On a related note (on what I'm thinking owning means), does each monster on the board attack on every villain round? For example, say myself and two players are playing. Each player has triggered a monster throughout the game, so we'll say there are three out. When my turn ends, the monster I just spawned (via exploring, this is the third monster) attacks me. Do the other two monsters on the board attack the other two players?
It's been a while, but IIRC you "own" a monster type if its card is in front of you. At the end of your turn only monsters of a type with a card in front of you activate.
However, they will follow the instructions on the card as to whom they attack, that will not necessarily be the owning player!

Monsters in front of other players will not active at the end of your turn.
However, if both you and another player own the same kind of monster than all those monsters will activate after each of your turns!

The reason to pass ownership of a monster is to change when it activates. A good idea is to pass ownership opposite of turn order to delay activation the longest. You could also use it to pass control of a monster you own to a player that already controls that type to prevent double activations.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justabaldguy wrote:
I see mention in the rules of "owning" a monster. What all does that entail? Does it only attack you, or do something else? I noticed on of the characters (the Cleric, IIRC) can pass control of a monster to another player. What would be the use of this?

On a related note (on what I'm thinking owning means), does each monster on the board attack on every villain round? For example, say myself and two players are playing. Each player has triggered a monster throughout the game, so we'll say there are three out. When my turn ends, the monster I just spawned (via exploring, this is the third monster) attacks me. Do the other two monsters on the board attack the other two players?


Monsters you own -- usually because their card was revealed by exploring a tile -- act during your player turn only. Villains act during EVERY player turn, which makes them much more powerful. Passing control of a monster affects when it acts, maybe making it act sooner than it otherwise would or later.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wyatt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Ah! This is good to know. We've been having all monsters attack every monster/villain turn, and it was really brutal. This makes it a bit easier. I figured something was wrong.

We can still attack any monster, right? Even if I don't control him, I can attack him?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justabaldguy wrote:
Ah! This is good to know. We've been having all monsters attack every monster/villain turn, and it was really brutal. This makes it a bit easier. I figured something was wrong.

We can still attack any monster, right? Even if I don't control him, I can attack him?


Yes, you can attack any monster, regardless of who owns the card.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
The reason to pass ownership of a monster is to change when it activates. A good idea is to pass ownership opposite of turn order to delay activation the longest. You could also use it to pass control of a monster you own to a player that already controls that type to prevent double activations.


A player having two copies of a monster card wouldn’t prevent a double activation; in that situation, each figure of that monster would activate twice on that player’s turn. The rules state:

Page 7 wrote:
Activate each Monster and Trap Card, in turn, in the order you drew them. Follow the tactics on the Monster Card to
determine what each Monster does on its turn. If there is more than one Monster with the exact same name in play, activate each of those Monsters on your turn.


It follows that for each copy of the card, the player must activate each figure of that monster.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
The reason to pass ownership of a monster is to change when it activates. A good idea is to pass ownership opposite of turn order to delay activation the longest. You could also use it to pass control of a monster you own to a player that already controls that type to prevent double activations.


A player having two copies of a monster card wouldn’t prevent a double activation; in that situation, each figure of that monster would activate twice on that player’s turn. The rules state:

Page 7 wrote:
Activate each Monster and Trap Card, in turn, in the order you drew them. Follow the tactics on the Monster Card to
determine what each Monster does on its turn. If there is more than one Monster with the exact same name in play, activate each of those Monsters on your turn.


It follows that for each copy of the card, the player must activate each figure of that monster.
I'll have to re-read the rules, but to me that does not necessarily follow from the part quoted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Trevin wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
The reason to pass ownership of a monster is to change when it activates. A good idea is to pass ownership opposite of turn order to delay activation the longest. You could also use it to pass control of a monster you own to a player that already controls that type to prevent double activations.


A player having two copies of a monster card wouldn’t prevent a double activation; in that situation, each figure of that monster would activate twice on that player’s turn. The rules state:

Page 7 wrote:
Activate each Monster and Trap Card, in turn, in the order you drew them. Follow the tactics on the Monster Card to
determine what each Monster does on its turn. If there is more than one Monster with the exact same name in play, activate each of those Monsters on your turn.


It follows that for each copy of the card, the player must activate each figure of that monster.
I'll have to re-read the rules, but to me that does not necessarily follow from the part quoted.


You won’t find this situation in the rules, because the rules try to prevent this situation from happening in the first place. It has been discussed in other threads in D&D forums:

Feral Troll & Dinin Do’Urden, Drider Passing Questions (Conclusion: it’s normally not possible, but edge cases have been found that would make it happen anyway.)
Trouble with some of rules... (Conclusion: either activate all figures for each card, or when passing a monster card skip over a player who already has a copy.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Trevin wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
The reason to pass ownership of a monster is to change when it activates. A good idea is to pass ownership opposite of turn order to delay activation the longest. You could also use it to pass control of a monster you own to a player that already controls that type to prevent double activations.


A player having two copies of a monster card wouldn’t prevent a double activation; in that situation, each figure of that monster would activate twice on that player’s turn. The rules state:

Page 7 wrote:
Activate each Monster and Trap Card, in turn, in the order you drew them. Follow the tactics on the Monster Card to
determine what each Monster does on its turn. If there is more than one Monster with the exact same name in play, activate each of those Monsters on your turn.


It follows that for each copy of the card, the player must activate each figure of that monster.
I'll have to re-read the rules, but to me that does not necessarily follow from the part quoted.


You won’t find this situation in the rules, because the rules try to prevent this situation from happening in the first place. It has been discussed in other threads in D&D forums:

Feral Troll & Dinin Do’Urden, Drider Passing Questions (Conclusion: it’s normally not possible, but edge cases have been found that would make it happen anyway.)
Trouble with some of rules... (Conclusion: either activate all figures for each card, or when passing a monster card skip over a player who already has a copy.)
Looks like the way I've been playing it isn't how most other interpret the rules.
Thanks for pointing that out!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.