11 Posts

Myth» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero: The Gambler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been kicking around the idea for this class for awhile now. Originally it was called the Swashbuckler and had more of a finesse and nautical theme, but after Megacon announced their Swashbuckler class, I decided to change it up a bit. If you're interested in some of its evolution look here: http://www.landsofmyth.com/Forum/index.php?topic=838.0

Mechanics:

Gamble - When a card calls for a gamble roll, roll 5 Fate Dice. You may choose to save any number of them on their current face. You must save any showing the Darkness face. As for the rest, you may reroll them. Repeat this process up to two times for a total of three rolls. Check the card against this result for effects. Darkness dice are not counted for results unless stated otherwise by the card.

Put a different way, Yahtzee rules where you kick out and cannot reroll Darkness faces.

Luck - Cards with the Luck keyword modify Gamble rolls. A novice level Gambler may only apply a single Luck card to any Gamble roll.

Gamble Card Ideas:

Lucky Strike
Damage: See Card Text, Range: 1
Attack; Melee; Gamble
Make a Gamble roll, then choose a die face other than Darkness. This attack deals damage equal to the number of instances of the chosen die face.
Action, 2 AP
[No Movement] +2FD, [Cautious] +1FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

Make 'em Bleed
Damage: 1, Range: Weapon
Attack; Melee; Gamble
Attack one target within range. If hit, make a Gamble roll, then choose a die face other than Darkness. The target gains a DoT. The DoT deals the target 1 damage during a number of Refresh Phases equal to the number of instances of the chosen die face.
Action, 1 AP
[No Movement] +1 DoT, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] -1 DoT, [Aggressive] -2 DoTs

Whirlwind Attack
Damage: 1, Range: 1
Attack; Melee; Gamble
Make a Gamble roll, then pick a die face other than Darkness. This attack may target a number of targets equal to the number of instances of the chosen die face.
Action, 2 AP
[No Movement] +1d10, [Cautious] +1FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

Luck’s Favor
Range: Tile
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. Each enemy in range has its attack's TN increased by a number equal to the number of instances of a die face matching the symbol on their Hero Token. You gain 1 threat per Darkness face.
Interrupt; 0 AP
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] No, [Normal] No, [Aggressive] No

Luck Card Ideas:

Consolation Prize
Luck
You may treat 3 darkness faces as one of any other face when determining results of your Gamble roll.
Reaction; 0 AP.
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] Yes

Press Your Luck
Luck
You may add one additional reroll to your Gamble roll may. If you do, you gain 2 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP.

No Whammies
Luck
You may choose the Darkness die face result when resolving Gamble card effects. If you do, you gain 1 Threat per each Darkness die face.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Aces and Eights:
Luck
You may treat a Gamble result of a 2 of a kind and 3 of a kind (including darkness) as a 4 of a kind. If you do, gain 3 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Rigged from the Start
Luck
You may change the result of any one die face (excluding Darkness) at the end of a Gamble roll before resolving the Gamble roll. If you do, add 1 AP per use.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Other Card Ideas:

Better Lucky than Careful
Each successful attack targeting one target must be rerolled once. You gain 2 Threat.
Interrupt; 0 AP

X Marks the Spot
Range: 3
Target may redraw any treasure token they draw once.
Rection; 0 AP.

Better Lucky Than Smart
Target may reroll any non-combat action they take once.
Reaction; 1 AP.

Anyway, I'm looking for some more card ideas in this general theme. Please let me know if you have any. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cool ideas. Here are my thoughts:

Gamble mechanic: It kind of strikes me as counter-intuitive to the whole gamble theme, that you select your "aces" AFTER you roll. It lowers the stakes significamtly and that does away with the excitement.

This is how I would do it if you want to stick to the Yahtzee-vibe:

Gambler doesn't roll FD for weapon effects, when an attack card calls for a gamble roll. He rolls his 5 gamble-FDs instead.

To trigger special effects with these gamble rolls, he needs ongoings in play that provide fate recipes. On these cards you can go nuts with effect and recipes, basing their powers on how difficult they are to roll.
These cards could be named fate cards and could also indicate how often you are allowed to reroll your gamble dice. You have to declare BEFORE the attack, which card you are going to use - this brings us back to the gambling theme: High risk vs. high reward.

Let me give a few examples:

"Cheap and Dirty", ongoing, fate, reroll: 0
Deal 1 damage to an additional target within range. Can be triggered multiple times.
Fate recipe: Any doubles.
Reaction, 0 AP

"Full House. Let's Party", ongoing, fate, reroll: 2
Reduce the darkness meter by 2.
Fate recipe: 1x any triplet + 1x any double
Reaction, 0 AP.

"Yathzee", ongoing, fate, reroll: 2
Steal up to 2 FDs from any enemy. Add the stolen FDs to your gamble rolls until this card is cleared or your leave the tile.
Fate recipe: 5x same result
Reaction, 1 AP.

"Triple or Nothing", ongoing, fate, reroll: 1
Put 2 Gold on this card before attacking. If this fate recipe triggers
gain 4 additional gold and clear this card. If this fate recipe doesn't trigger, discard the 2 gold.
Fate recipe: Any triplet
Reaction, 1 AP.

To this basic concept you could add 2 or 3 auxiliary cards that e.g. "add a reroll to fate cards", or "you may use the fate recipes from 2 fate cards"...

Thanks for sharing!

Edit: http://www.datagenetics.com/blog/january42012/

This might be really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
You are missing out on 4 obvious card names:

1) Hold 'em
2) Fold 'em
3) Walk Away
4) Run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:

Gamble mechanic: It kind of strikes me as counter-intuitive to the whole gamble theme, that you select your "aces" AFTER you roll. It lowers the stakes significantly and that does away with the excitement.

I think the Yahtzee mechanic makes things hard enough while also leaving some excitement. Minimally, it is much more exciting than the other class' mechanics (besides possibly the Acolyte). But there is no reason why there also couldn't be cards where you have to make the decision before you actually roll. For instance, take this one:

Hold 'em
Range: 1
Select a Hero within range then make a Gamble roll. For each die face that matches the symbol on their Hero Token, that Hero may keep that many cards during the discard cards portion of the Hero Deck Phase.
Action; 1 AP.

Thanks for the inspiration Chad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackson
United States
Versailles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some random thoughts of mine. If you have a particular vision for the character, you should definitely follow that.

When I see the theme/mechanic of this, I'm reminded of the Corsair from Final Fantasy XI. It essentially came around as I was quitting the game, but it was a class that could do a press-your-luck style roll on various abilities that could buff the rest of the party. There was also a chance of going over your target number and busting for some negative effect, I think.

It also did a bit of attacking with a knife and gun in between the buffing aspect.

Regardless of how entertaining the gamble mechanic is, it would be somewhat disappointing (for me personally), if it was another class that filled the same exact niche as a Soldier and Swashbuckler - i.e. a melee damage class with some defensive interrupts.

With that said, I feel it would be fun to add a set of similar group buff cards on the gambler. I think you could pull off some of it thematically since it is basically gambling with "fate" (some magical force which can power weapon/ability effects).

Essentially, some type of Brigand/Skald hybrid.
These cards could be tied to a specific Fate, so you are attempting to get a particular symbol (for theme) rather than just the most matches of something.
One of the criticisms of Skald is that it becomes much more powerful as you add more Heroes to you group. You could look more at targeted abilities in some cases, so that the class is useful even in smaller groups.

Some random ideas using your gamble mechanic:

Roll of Faith
Gamble, Heal
Perform a Gamble roll. For each Faith result, restore 1 Vitality to a target within range. For each Darkness result, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Roll of Rage
Gamble
Perform a Gamble roll. For each Rage result, Hero attack actions within range have -1TN. For each Darkness result, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP.

As with the other classes' mechanics, I don't feel the gamble mechanic should make an appearance on, or be affected by every card in the deck. There are other things you could do to sell the gambler theme without doing a gamble roll.

Fold
Dodge
Ignore 1 enemy attack targeting you. Discard your hand. For each card discarded this way, you gain 1MP to use immediately.
Interrupt; 0AP
[No Movement] No, [Cautious] No, [Normal] No, [Aggressive] No

Stacked Deck
Choose up to 3 cards in your discard pile and shuffle them into your Hero Deck. In addition, you gain +2d10 to NCA and Courage Tests.
Action; 0AP

As Chad pointed out, there are plenty of ways to put some clever naming on the cards that are gambling-themed. Whirlwind Attack could be "Full House". "Always Bet on Red" for the bleed attack.

Looking forward to what you come up with. Good luck on getting this up and running- it takes a lot of time and effort to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a minute there, I thought I was still in the Shadows of Brimstone forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We seem to be very much on the same page Careless. The idea started out very much like a Soldier/Brigand hybrid, but as time went on it morphed into something that looks much more like a melee Acolyte.

Also, very much digging the names.

Here are a couple more ideas I've come up with in the buffing category.

Lucky Break
Gamble
Select a Hero within range then make a Gamble roll. That Hero may search his or her Hero Deck for a card with an AP cost equal to or less than the number of die faces that match the symbol on their Hero Token. Add 1 AP for each Darkness face.
Action; 0 AP.

Let It Ride
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. Each Hero within range reduces the AP costs of Actions by 1 per die face matching the symbol on their Hero Token. Add 1 AP for each Darkness face.
Action; 0 AP
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

And here is something that I've just come up with that's a little bit different. There are not many abilities that effect the treasure bag, and I think it'd be cool and theme appropriate if the Gambler had a couple.

Hedge Your Bets
Gamble, Ongoing
Make a Gamble roll, then choose a die face other than Darkness. You may draw a treasure token for each instance of the chosen die face. After you draw that token, you may place it on this card instead of returning it to the bag. You do not draw item cards as part of this effect.
Action; 2 AP
[No Movement] Yes, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] No, [Aggressive] No

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ideas that have been posted so far have gotten me pretty close to throwing something together for very early play tests. The only glaring things missing at the moment are a few non-gamble based attacks. Anyone have any good names or otherwise theme appropriate ideas for that?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple more ideas I've come up with. I welcome any input.

One for the Money
Attack; Melee
If this attack defeats the target, draw a white item card. If the card drawn was for 1 gold, gain 1 gold.
Action/Reaction, 1 AP
[No Movement] +1 Draw, [Cautious] +1d10, [Normal] +1FD, [Aggressive] Yes

Two for the Show
Attack; Melee
If the result of this attack would cause a treasure to pop, pop 2 treasure instead.
Action, 2 AP
[No Movement] +2d10, [Cautious] +1d10, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some initial play testing comparing a Gambler prototype to the Acolyte.

Prototype Deck:

Lucky Strike
Damage: See Card Text, Range: 1
Attack; Melee; Gamble
Make a Gamble roll, then choose a die face other than Darkness. This attack deals damage equal to the number of instances of the chosen die face.
Action, 2 AP
[No Movement] +2FD, [Cautious] +1FD, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

Always Bet on Red
Attack; Melee; Gamble
Attack one target within range. If hit, make a Gamble roll, then choose a die face other than Darkness. The target gains a DoT. The DoT deals the target 1 damage during a number of Refresh Phases equal to the number of instances of the chosen die face.
Action, 1 AP
[No Movement] +1 DoT, [Cautious] Yes, [Normal] -1 DoT, [Aggressive] -2 DoTs

2x Full House
Attack; Melee; Gamble
Make a Gamble roll, then pick a die face other than Darkness. This attack may target a number of targets equal to the number of instances of the chosen die face.
Action, 2 AP

2x One for the Money
Attack; Melee
If this attack defeats the target, draw a white item card. If the card drawn was for 1 gold, gain 1 gold.
Action/Reaction, 1 AP
[No Movement] +1 Draw, [Cautious] +1d10, [Normal] +1FD, [Aggressive] Yes

Two for the Show
Damage: 2, Range: 1
Attack; Melee; Critical
If the result of this attack would cause a treasure to pop, pop 2 treasure instead.
Action, 2 AP
[No Movement] +2d10, [Cautious] +1d10, [Normal] Yes, [Aggressive] No

Attack
Attack; Melee
Action, 1 AP

Luck’s Favor
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. Each enemy in range has its attack's TN increased by a number equal to the number of instances of a die face matching the symbol on their Hero Token. You gain 1 threat per Darkness face.
Interrupt; 0 AP

Better Lucky than Careful
Each successful attack targeting one target must be rerolled once. You gain 2 Threat.
Interrupt; 0 AP

Fold 'em
Before resolving an enemy attack against you, discard your hand and gain 1 MP per card discarded to spend immediately and ignore the attack. Not considered a Move
Interrupt; 0 AP

Roll of Faith
Gamble
Select a target and make a Gamble roll. For every Faith die face, restore 1 vitality to the target. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Action; 1 AP

Roll of Rage
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. For every Rage die face, each Hero within range gains -1 TN to hit with Attack Actions. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP

Roll of Arcane
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. For every Arcane die face, each Hero within range gains a FD to Attack Actions. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP

Roll of Nature
Gamble
Select a target and make a Gamble roll. For every Nature die face, that Hero reduces their Threat by 1. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP

Roll of Guile
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. For every Guile die face, each Hero within range gains -1 TN to Non-Combat Actions. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP

X Marks the Spot
Range: 3
Target may redraw any treasure token they draw once.
Rection; 0 AP.

Stack the Deck
You may search your discard pile for a card of your choice and add it to the top of your draw pile. In addition, you gain +2d10 to Non-Combat Actions.
Rection; 0 AP.

2x Hustle

1x Sprint

Consolation Prize
Luck
You may treat 3 darkness faces as one of any other face when determining results of your Gamble roll.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Press Your Luck
Luck
You may add one additional reroll to your Gamble roll may. If you do, you gain 2 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP.

No Whammies
Luck
You may choose the Darkness die face result when resolving Gamble card effects. If you do, you gain 1 Threat per each Darkness die face.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Aces and Eights:
Luck
You may treat a Gamble result of a 2 of a kind and 3 of a kind (including darkness) as a 4 of a kind. If you do, gain 3 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Tile Set Ups:

Hunting Pack (8): Both played about the same. The Gambler got one more treasure pop and a treasure pull.

Liar: The Gambler was able to take it down before it activated with the help of Lucky Strike. The Acolyte had an early Angelic Word, but could not get in position. Consequently, the Gambler had less threat, AP, and treasure. In addition, I got a five of a kind on Roll of Rage after only two rolls and no Luck cards, something that is statistically highly unlikely.

Captain & Hunting Pack(6): About the same. Gambler got a little luckier on AoE so 2 treasure popped instead of only one for Acolyte. The Gambler also got a 4 of a kind without a Luck card, but only had 3 targets, which is yet another point of balance to keep in mind.

Mini-Boss: The Gambler had two dead turns right at beginning. But then was able to lucky strike, get it back with stacked deck, and do it again. Got 5 of a kind on the last roll without a luck card. Acolyte was also able to do 4 damage for 2 AP and 2 cards though.

General Results:

The Gamble Mechanic: It seems like a had a string of good luck. For instance, I got two 5 of a kinds without the use of luck cards. This suggests that maybe the mechanic is too powerful; however, I've checked the statistics of this and these results really aren't typical (it's less than 3% I believe). After some more play testing, I may try to rebalance these if need be. I liked the way that Always Bet on Red tied Gamble results to Movement, so I'm leaning towards doing it that way.

Luck Cards: I found that 4 was too many. I often had several Luck cards and no Gamble cards. In addition, Heroes like the Acolyte and Brigand only have 3 of their key cards (Pray and Shadows). As such, I will be dropping one at this stage. Aces and Eights doesn't really fit Roll of X cards, so that's the one I'll be dropping. In addition, due to the power of some of the Gamble effects that I saw, I think I might be powering down the remaining ones some. My basic goal here is to have the cards off set bad rolls more than making great rolls easier.

Roll for X Cards: I originally wanted these to all be the same template but with different effects; however, some just seemed too powerful that way. As such, I changed them to the above. But I don't think this really worked. For instance, since I was only playing with one hero, the only one I actually played was Roll of Rage. My plan now is to balance these cards based on when they are obtained (Novice, Journeyman, Master). In addition, I think I might make them give a static bonus and have the Gamble result determine the number of targets. This also makes the Gambler better for smaller parties, so the Gambler will make a better small party buffer and the Skald will be better for large parties.

Threat Management:I did not notice any particular problems with threat management; frequently I had turns with few cards to play.

Specific Card Discussion:

One for the Money seemed to work well. It did not actually triggered that many times, so I don't think the minor reward tied to it is problematic. I may still tweak the movement templates.

Stacked Deck: This card was much too powerful. I think I'm going to change it into something more like the Solder's The Easy Way. Otherwise it basically almost always becomes a second copy of the best card in the deck (generally Lucky Strike).

Full House: This attack seemed a bit too good being able to target any adjacent square. I think I might add a template to weaken it a bit. That is of course assuming that I didn't just have a string of good luck nearly every time I played it.

Anyway, I hope this analysis is useful to understand my thought process regarding this new Hero. I welcome any input, especially for new cards and card modifications. I will also try to get some more play testing in when I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following are the changes I've made to the deck and why. All input is welcome.

AoE Attack

Full House
Attack; Melee; Gamble
Make a Gamble roll, then pick a die face other than Darkness. This attack targets a number of adjacent squares equal to the number of instances of the chosen die face within reach.
Action, 2 AP

This card was changed to only being able to target adjacent squares to bring it more in line with most of the other non-archer A0Es.

Rolls of Fate

Roll of Faith
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. For every Faith die face, target a Hero within range. Each target restores 1 vitality. If all Heroes in play are targeted by this effect, instead restore 2 vitality. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Rection; 0 AP

Roll of Rage
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. For every Rage die face, target a Hero within range. Each target gains -1 TN to hit with Attack Actions. If all Heroes in play are targeted by this effect, instead gain -2 TN. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP

Roll of Arcane
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. For every Arcane die face, target a Hero within range. Each target gains +2 FD to Attack Actions. If all Heroes in play are targeted by this effect, instead gain +4 FD. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP

Roll of Nature
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. For every Nature die face, target a Hero within range. Each target reduces their Threat by 1. If all Heroes in play are targeted by this effect, instead reduce Threat by 2. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP

Roll of Guile
Gamble
Make a Gamble roll. For every Guile die face, target a Hero within range. Each target gains +1d10 to Non-Combat Actions and Courage tests. If all Heroes in play are targeted by this effect, instead gain +2d10. For each Darkness die face, gain 1 Threat.
Reaction; 0 AP

Now all of these cards have the same underlying mechanics, just different abilities based on theme so as to avoid confusion. In addition, as per Careless' suggestion, I made each card more likely to apply a greater effect with few heroes in play as to avoid the Skald problem.

Search Card

Stack the Deck
You may search your draw pile for a card of your choice and add it to the top of your draw pile. In addition, you gain -1 TN to Non-Combat Actions and Courage tests.
Rection; 0 AP.

This card is now more in line with the Solder's "The Easy Way." I powered down the NCA ability since the Gambler has more than one of those effects and being able to pile them on may prove excessive. I did allow it to apply to Courage tests though to bump it back up a little.

Luck Cards

Rigged from the Start
Luck
Before you make a Gamble roll, you may set a single fate die to any face of your choice. You may not reroll this fate dice during the Gamble roll.
Reaction; 0 AP.

Rigged from the start helps mitigate issues with the various "Roll of" cards. I'm still working on another Luck Card that does more mitigation than helping to get 5 on Lucky Strike or Full House.

New Card

Nible Fingers
Gain 2 MP. You may only use this MP to pick up treasure tokens or take Non-Combat Actions. Not considered a Move.
Reaction; 0 AP.

This card replaces on of the Luck cards removed for space and adds to the treasure/NCA mini-theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.